Is it common to have the wrong size seatpost installed on a new bike?

Old August 9th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Is it common to have the wrong size seatpost installed on a new bike?

Seat post keeps slipping even though the quick release is very tight.
Dealer wants me to replace the QR with a bolt. I can actually rock the
post back to front a bit. This has never been the case with any of my
other bikes, and I don't want to crush the tube if the post is the
wrong size. Post looks like 30.9, tube looks like 31. Should I look
for a 31 post or just crank down the bolt. Thanks for the help. Pedro

Old August 9th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Marz

On Aug 8, 6:56 pm, wrote:
Seat post keeps slipping even though the quick release is very tight.
Dealer wants me to replace the QR with a bolt. I can actually rock the
post back to front a bit. This has never been the case with any of my
other bikes, and I don't want to crush the tube if the post is the
wrong size. Post looks like 30.9, tube looks like 31. Should I look
for a 31 post or just crank down the bolt. Thanks for the help. Pedro

Take the bike back to the department store/walmart/toysrus you bought
it from, get a full refund and then go to real bike shop and get some
real help. If it was a bike shop find another one.

Old August 9th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Marz" wrote: Take the bike back to the department store/walmart/toysrus
you bought it from, get a full refund and then go to real bike shop and get
some real help. If it was a bike shop find another one.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I doubt that it came from a department store, Walmart or ToysRus. They're
not smart enough to come up with even a bogus solution like that. It must
have come from a bicycle shop--a sleazy one. If the mechanic/salesman
thinks that's the right solution, he's not worthy of the name. And if he
know better and still suggests a bolt, well, I hate crooks, liars and
cheats.

Torker LX bearing size and seatpost clamp size?? onefiftyfour Unicycling 2 March 23rd 07 01:20 PM
BB Size Number Meanings - ALWAYS getting the wrong part! Franz Bestuchev Techniques 7 April 21st 06 05:43 AM
bike racks installed at White House Fritz M General 8 October 6th 05 11:31 PM
Wrong size bike Terry D UK 8 July 7th 05 04:51 AM
New overboots wrong size, doh! DaveB Australia 9 June 29th 05 04:43 AM