A bike for sunny days

Old May 10th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Default A bike for sunny days

Well, my commuter bike frame [1] getting broken inspired me to get my
Sunny day bike fixed up last week. I've been stockpiling parts for it
for a while, so it was relatively quick to build up.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_1.jpg
http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_2.jpg

I've already swapped out the seatpost and seat since I took these
pictures.

Parts list:

- Nishiki frame (the whole bike was $5 at a garage sale)
- Campagnolo Chorus 10 speed carbon shifters ($75 used from a friend)
- 9 speed 12-25 Shimano cassette
- 105 rear hub/Alex Adventurer rim/ 14/15/14 DB spokes
- Schwalbe Marathon Plus tire
- Ultegra front hub / used Nici (Italian) rim
- Continental Top Touring 2000
- Sora rear derailleur (hubbub alternate routing)
- Front D + cranks, whatever was on the bike
- Centerpull brakes
- Modolo t-poc bars (whatever I had lying around)
- Threaded-Threadless stem adapter ($10)
- Threadless stem (spare from parts drawer)
- Nashbar bar tape ($4)
- New seatpost ($15)
- SPD pedals

Total cost: About $110

Pretty much everything on the bike was discards or things I had lying
around. It actually rides nicely, the only thing that I'm really still
fiddling with is the rear shifter. I've been futzing around with the
mount, and now I have to adjust the shifting again.

The fender has been taken off, it was only on there temporarily.

---

I talked to the shop that has my old frame (Recycled Cycles in the
University District). They've left some messages with Surly, but they
haven't actually talked to them about it. So my bike is still
languishing in their shop. And I've got this bag sitting on my desk at
home full of all the parts I took off the frame.

I'm just glad it broke during the summer so I'm not missing my dedicated
all weather/bad weather bike in the rainy season. Well, and that I
didn't bother overhauling the headset and bottom bracket right before
the frame broke. Procrastination saves the day again!

[1] Last month I had wheel problems [2], this month it looks like frame
problems are on the agenda.

I broke my Crosscheck frame again in pretty much the exact same location
(on my way home from work). I didn't have time to finish putting my
sunny day bike together from pieces, so I dragged my fixed gear out of
the shed to ride to work that morning.

I really should just shell out for a sturdier frame.

[2] Broken rear axle.

--
Dane Buson -
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally."
Old May 10th 08, 08:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Dane Buson wrote:
Well, my commuter bike frame [1] getting broken inspired me to get my
Sunny day bike fixed up last week. I've been stockpiling parts for it
for a while, so it was relatively quick to build up.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_1.jpg
http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_2.jpg

That is definitely NOT something Fabrizio Mazzoleni would be seen riding.

I broke my Crosscheck frame again in pretty much the exact same location
(on my way home from work). I didn't have time to finish putting my
sunny day bike together from pieces, so I dragged my fixed gear out of
the shed to ride to work that morning.

I really should just shell out for a sturdier frame.

Where did the frame break? Is Surly under-building their bikes?

Old May 10th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

Tom Sherman wrote:
Where did the frame break? Is Surly under-building their bikes?

I'd be interested in the details of this story too.

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old May 10th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Claire

On May 10, 12:27 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:
Well, my commuter bike frame [1] getting broken inspired me to get my
Sunny day bike fixed up last week. I've been stockpiling parts for it
for a while, so it was relatively quick to build up.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_1.jpg
http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_2.jpg

That is definitely NOT something Fabrizio Mazzoleni would be seen riding.

Having seen it in real life, I can testify, though, it is a real purty
bike.

Warm Regards,

Claire

Old May 10th 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Sherman wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:
Well, my commuter bike frame [1] getting broken inspired me to get my
Sunny day bike fixed up last week. I've been stockpiling parts for it
for a while, so it was relatively quick to build up.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_1.jpg
http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_2.jpg

That is definitely NOT something Fabrizio Mazzoleni would be seen riding.

Hmmm, which do you think offends the most?

The hybrid Campagnolo - Shimano setup?
The Nishiki bike boom frame?
The Sora rear derailler?
The Suntour front derailleur?
The fact that I'm using the original cranks and BB?
The Threaded-Threadless adapter for the stem?
The 36 spoke wheels?
The fact I'm using a derailleur claw?
The centerpull brakes?

Actually, I have to admit, part of the goal for the bike was to make a
racy, fairly nice looking Frankenstein bike. Something I could ride on
sunny days when I didn't want to lug around the fenders, dyno-hub,
lights, etc.

I broke my Crosscheck frame again in pretty much the exact same location
(on my way home from work). I didn't have time to finish putting my
sunny day bike together from pieces, so I dragged my fixed gear out of
the shed to ride to work that morning.

I really should just shell out for a sturdier frame.

Where did the frame break? Is Surly under-building their bikes?

Rear right dropouts (same as last time). It's a pretty common breaking
spot, so I think it's not really that. Most people don't ride as many
miles or break as many parts as I do.

These are the photos from last time, but it's just about the same spot
this time. This time, the top break was more towards the bike, so the
derailler stayed attached to the frame this time.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/dropout.jpg
http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuv...ut-closeup.jpg

I was less than a mile from my house, just having finished crossing the
I-90 bridge. All flat sections, nothing of note, just riding along.

--
Dane Buson -
It is by Perl alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the regex of Larry
Old May 10th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Sherman wrote:
Where did the frame break? Is Surly under-building their bikes?

I'd be interested in the details of this story too.

I posted more in response to Tom upstream. At least it died 2 1/3 years
into the 3 year warranty (I confirmed with Surly that it reset when I
got my last frame replacement). My ambition is to get past the 3 years
with the next frame. Then maybe I can justify a new (different) frame
when the next one dies.

--
Dane Buson -
Ambidextrous, adj.:
Old May 10th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Claire wrote:
On May 10, 12:27 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:
Well, my commuter bike frame [1] getting broken inspired me to get my
Sunny day bike fixed up last week. I've been stockpiling parts for it
for a while, so it was relatively quick to build up.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_1.jpg
http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_2.jpg

That is definitely NOT something Fabrizio Mazzoleni would be seen riding.

Having seen it in real life, I can testify, though, it is a real purty
bike.

Why thank you kindly, it's nice of you to say so. I'm enjoying having a
sparkly blue bike. All my other bikes are dark colors or deliberately
uglified, so this is a nice change.

Warm Regards,

Claire

How is the new job (and the new commute) suiting you?

--
Dane Buson -
After all, what is your hosts' purpose in having a party? Surely not for you to
Old May 11th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Dane Buson wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:
[...]

The most likely scenario is that the area was overheated when welding
the frame. The problem could be due to one particular welder or the
frame design is producing stress raisers at this location.

Old May 11th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Dane Buson wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:
Well, my commuter bike frame [1] getting broken inspired me to get my
Sunny day bike fixed up last week. I've been stockpiling parts for it
for a while, so it was relatively quick to build up.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_1.jpg
http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/nishiki_2.jpg

That is definitely NOT something Fabrizio Mazzoleni would be seen riding.

Hmmm, which do you think offends the most?

The hybrid Campagnolo - Shimano setup?
The Nishiki bike boom frame?
The Sora rear derailler?
The Suntour front derailleur?
The fact that I'm using the original cranks and BB?
The Threaded-Threadless adapter for the stem?
The 36 spoke wheels?
The fact I'm using a derailleur claw?
The centerpull brakes?

What's up with the handlebars being as high as the saddle?

Have you been influenced by the late Sheldon Brown?

Old May 11th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Sherman wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/dropout.jpg
http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuv...ut-closeup.jpg

I was less than a mile from my house, just having finished crossing the
I-90 bridge. All flat sections, nothing of note, just riding along.

The most likely scenario is that the area was overheated when welding
the frame. The problem could be due to one particular welder or the
frame design is producing stress raisers at this location.

Yes, this is pretty much what I decided after talking to some other
people as well. That location is one that is prone to breakage to
begin with and if there was a slightly botched weld that could make it
happen that much sooner.

--
Dane Buson -
"Every man has his price. Mine is $3.95."