Hydrogen economy looks out of reach

Old October 21st 04, 05:03 AM
Jack May

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
An interesting idea, but somewhat at odds with the Biblical notional
lifespan of three score and ten; average life expectancy is only 10%
above that even now.

Hard to tell from old writings. We know that in cultures without birth
records and where the old are venerated, people commonly exaggerate their
age more and more as they get older. It is also possible with a warmer
climate in the mid east religious centers life was extended with better
health and the cultures insisted on a clean body. Again, just my guess.

Life span could mean several things. At this time the human life span is
120 years in the sense that 120 is essentially the oldest anyone lives.

And (on-topic) regular cyclists have a higher
average life expectancy than those who rely more heavily on
oil-powered transport :-)

Actually there has been recent discussions on this topic in uk.transport
from data collected in Great Brittan. The data shows that car drivers live
longer than transit users. Part of the cause appears to be that higher
income people live longer than low income people.

Don't think they say anything about bikes. The exercise from bikes will
produce little life extension. The exercise will make you feel better and
give you a better chance of being health into old age as long as you
continue to exercise. Of course the bike is not relevant. Exercise is what
is important.

I personally use a professional grade trampoline in my back yard which I
consider better exercise than riding my bike. I live across the street from
the SF Bay shoreline where there is a bike path that does not cross roads,
but I still prefer the trampoline.

Old October 21st 04, 11:59 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 04:03:06 GMT, "Jack May"
wrote:

Actually there has been recent discussions on this topic in uk.transport

Oh I bet that was balanced and informative, in typical uk.tosspot
style ;-)

from data collected in Great Brittan. The data shows that car drivers live
longer than transit users. Part of the cause appears to be that higher
income people live longer than low income people.

s/Part/All/ I'd say :-)

Don't think they say anything about bikes. The exercise from bikes will
produce little life extension. The exercise will make you feel better and
give you a better chance of being health into old age as long as you
continue to exercise. Of course the bike is not relevant. Exercise is what
is important.

According to Mayer Hillman and the BMA, the exercise form cycling
actually does produce significantly longer life, and there appears to
be more benfit from exercise integrated into daily living (i.e.
walking and cycling) than from going to the gym. I think it is
because cyclists will tend to exercise at a lower percentage of MHR
but for longer, whereas gym rats tend to sustain a higher percentage
of MHR in intervals of 10 or 15 minutes at a time. don't know how it
compares with, say, circuit training. I love circuits, me :-)

I personally use a professional grade trampoline in my back yard which I
consider better exercise than riding my bike. I live across the street from
the SF Bay shoreline where there is a bike path that does not cross roads,
but I still prefer the trampoline.

I prefer the bike because I get exercise for free in time I would
otherwise have wasted being frustrated in a car :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk