A plea for netiquette

Old August 2nd 05, 03:03 AM
donna

Default A plea for netiquette

Does "anal retentive" have a hyphen?

--
donna
donna's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10322

Old August 2nd 05, 06:37 AM
Mikefule

donna wrote:
*Does "anal retentive" have a hyphen? *

No.

Having introduced the concept to the discussion, could you explain to
the readers what it means? It doesn't mean what most people think it
does, and I can see no relevance to the matter in hand or to any posts
in this forum, including mine.

My initial post on this thread was prompted by one or two quite hostile
comments about other people's spelling. It was a plea for a reasonable
attempt at good manners in this public space.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Competing with yesterday to hold off tomorrow.

Old August 2nd 05, 07:12 AM
Klaas Bil

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:09:50 -0500, "DustinMichels" wrote:

Roadkill, dont you mean:

Spelling? Don't know what your talking about...

Huh huh. And then you overlooked your = you're

Oh, and dont should be don't

I never criticise people's spelling on this forum (I think) unless
they somehow incorrectly 'claim' to spell correctly. All in good fun
though.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I ride like a princess. - john_childs

Old August 2nd 05, 07:37 AM
ChangingLINKS.com

Mikefule wrote:
*It was a plea for a reasonable attempt at good manners in this public
space. *

I don't get it. Do you mean:
"It was a *reasonable* plea which attempted to get people to use good
manners." ?

(There's a difference, and I understand the modified statement).

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Old August 2nd 05, 08:17 AM
Mikefule

Very droll.

It was a plea for people to make a reasonable attempt to display good
manners. This is a forum, with people from many backgrounds and age
groups, and a certain amount of cut and thrust is only to be expected.
I'm too old to expect perfection.

I was particularly annoyed when one member's first ever post was
attacked, not only for its content, but also for the spelling. That was
not the only example, but it stuck in my mind.

For myself, I think I can hold my own in any company when it comes to
disputes about spelling, grammar or punctuation. However, I would hate
to see people discouraged from posting because they were afraid that
their spelling (etc.) might be held up to ridicule.

The very fact that I felt that the plea was necessary made me fear I'd
be urinating upwind, but I thought I'd give it a go.

Old August 2nd 05, 11:42 AM
cheech

onebyone - Alian is spelled a l i e n !

--
cheech
cheech's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9388

Old August 2nd 05, 11:44 AM
onebyone

I studied Freud once about a hundred years ago. I know what anal
retentive is and it doesn't have a hyphen. Thats not like unicyclists,
we don't perseverate on things.

Learning about and using computers is like learning unicycling. There is
always something new to learn.

Ok. please excuse my lack of knowing about IE or Firefox trials. Where
exactly or how does the spell checker work in these programs?

Learning how to jump

--
onebyone

Bill Blogs is an alian!
www.municycle.com.au
onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014

Old August 2nd 05, 12:24 PM
mikepenton

I definitely agree. there will frequently be a degree of inaccuracy, be
it through bad luck (typing ability/knowledge/dyslexia) or sloppiness.
My bugbear is the laziness of not checking over one's posts or bothering
to correct blatant errors. A well written post can be very pleasing to
read indeed. There have been some posts (gladly very few) where, had I
been keen on the topic, I would have needed to ask for a translation.

As for using errors to make fun of people, thats pre-teen playground
tactics. I'm sure there will always be a few who use this. may their
minority decrease greatly.

--
mikepenton - sometimes level
mikepenton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7090

Old August 2nd 05, 12:25 PM
onebyone

Thanks John_Childs. Not only can I learn new unicycle stuff, I can also
read and learn new computer stuff. I have downloaded the IE spell
checker and will now give it a go. I will have to learn some new skills
on the uni to keep up with myself.

Cheers

Yep it werks. wourw!

Old August 2nd 05, 12:26 PM
JJuggle

'anal-retentive' (http://www.onelook.com/?w=anal-retentive&ls=a)

--
JJuggle - Meet the new boss...

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

We relieve the tension only to find out the master's name.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24