Blue flashing lights....

Old October 21st 03, 04:43 AM
Luigi de Guzman

Default Blue flashing lights....

Car-bike accident on my street today. Lots of blue flashing lights.
Cyclist carried away in an ambulance, condition unknown. I got out
and looked to see what might have happened.

Street is two-lane suburban residential street; busy at six thirty.
It's dark. Car's windshield broken, no scratches on paint or lower
bodywork to indicate anything having been run over. Bicycle in a heap
on far side of the road.

Most likely scenario:

Car is waiting for a break in traffic to turn left and join busy
street.

Cyclist is riding right-way, but on sidewalk, and without lights, down
a very gentle grade.

Car spots an opening in all the headlights, and begins maneuvre...

.....just as cyclist on sidewalk enters intersection. Collision:
cyclist thrown over hood and onto windscreen, and then possibly dumped
onto road.

Bicycle did not appear to have any lights on it.

Please Please PLEASE be careful at night, people--buy reliable lights
and use them, and ride in the roadway where crossing traffic will
expect to look for you. This was an avoidable accident.

-Luigi

"Blue flashing lights on a Saturday night brought the neighbours out
into the street...."
-Travis
Old October 21st 03, 05:00 PM
Steve Knight

Please Please PLEASE be careful at night, people--buy reliable lights
and use them, and ride in the roadway where crossing traffic will
expect to look for you. This was an avoidable accident.

People just don't use their brains. I see so many cyclists without lights. this
idiot on a gas powered bicycle passed me last night and I was doing 20 he must
have been doing 30. very dark and no lights.
me I have a xenon flasher in back and front a non blinky led in back and a 10w
headlight.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 21st 03, 06:06 PM
Luigi de Guzman

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:00:23 GMT, Steve Knight
wrote:

Please Please PLEASE be careful at night, people--buy reliable lights
and use them, and ride in the roadway where crossing traffic will
expect to look for you. This was an avoidable accident.

People just don't use their brains. I see so many cyclists without lights. this
idiot on a gas powered bicycle passed me last night and I was doing 20 he must
have been doing 30. very dark and no lights.
me I have a xenon flasher in back and front a non blinky led in back and a 10w
headlight.

people don't even realise what a benefit one light makes. It doesn't
have to be much, absolutely speaking....

*sigh*
Old October 22nd 03, 04:49 AM
Steve Knight

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:06:25 -0400, Luigi de Guzman wrote:

..

people don't even realise what a benefit one light makes. It doesn't
have to be much, absolutely speaking....

yep even one works pretty well. I saw far more today then usual. still saw a few
idiots without. some dumb bimbo crossed a busy street against the light. no
helmet or light. hell I passed her by the time she got to the road so she did
not even save time.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 22nd 03, 06:25 AM
Steven M. Scharf

"Steve Knight" wrote in message

Please Please PLEASE be careful at night, people--buy reliable lights
and use them, and ride in the roadway where crossing traffic will
expect to look for you. This was an avoidable accident.

People just don't use their brains. I see so many cyclists without lights.

this
idiot on a gas powered bicycle passed me last night and I was doing 20 he

must
have been doing 30. very dark and no lights.
me I have a xenon flasher in back and front a non blinky led in back and a

10w
headlight.

Today, while driving, I saw a guy with dual xenon flashers on the front,
but an almost non-visible LED blinker on the rear. At least he was very
visible from the front.

Old October 22nd 03, 09:57 AM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote:

Today, while driving, I saw a guy with dual xenon flashers on the front,
but an almost non-visible LED blinker on the rear. At least he was very
visible from the front.

I think a lot of people get caught in the sudden change of season. I have a
great, very bright front light on my bike and a less great red rear-light, but
I've only been riding regularly since the summer and am not used to darkness
going to and coming from my workplace. It's remembering to turn the lights _on_
before I leave!

EFR

Old October 22nd 03, 03:21 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Elisa Francesca Roselli"
wrote in message ...

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote:

Today, while driving, I saw a guy with dual xenon flashers on the front,
but an almost non-visible LED blinker on the rear. At least he was very
visible from the front.

I think a lot of people get caught in the sudden change of season. I have

great, very bright front light on my bike and a less great red rear-light,

but
I've only been riding regularly since the summer and am not used to

darkness
going to and coming from my workplace. It's remembering to turn the lights

_on_
before I leave!

I just thought that it was rather ironic that this guy clearly had decided
to make
himself visible from the front, spending $40-50 on two xenon strobes, and
then
not gotten one for the rear as well.

Old October 22nd 03, 05:38 PM
Steve Knight

Today, while driving, I saw a guy with dual xenon flashers on the front,
but an almost non-visible LED blinker on the rear. At least he was very
visible from the front.

(G) the back is more important. but makes you wonder why he did not do the
back?

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old October 23rd 03, 09:14 PM
Alex Colvin

I just thought that it was rather ironic that this guy clearly had decided
to make
himself visible from the front, spending $40-50 on two xenon strobes, and
then
not gotten one for the rear as well.

Maybe he though he was buying dual Xeons ;-)

--
mac the naïf

Serious Lights with 2hr Plus Burn Ian G Batten General 14 October 18th 03 12:44 PM
Bar end lights Pat General 6 October 18th 03 03:51 AM
Wisconsin Cyclist killed in rear-end collision Zippy the Pinhead General 81 October 11th 03 12:41 PM
Hub Dynamo Lights? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 14 September 23rd 03 12:16 AM