A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Driver psychology

Old March 3rd 20, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster

Default Driver psychology

On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 10:05:34 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Mar 2020 07:24:59 +0700, John B. wrote:

Rather than the representation of "the girl I'd like to haul back to the
cave" :-)

Obviously your cave is not in cold climes.

No mine is in a warm country :-) Although I'm not sure how that
effects hauling? Can't haul in the cold season? Can only haul in the
cold season?
--
cheers,

John B.

Ads
Old March 4th 20, 01:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, March 4, 2020 at 1:34:20 AM UTC, AMuzi wrote:

Over on rec.autos they still reply to twenty year old
desperate pleas for help. One only hopes that car has been
sold or junked ...

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

What I'd love to have back is the most outrageous hotrod I ever built. Stepping back a bit. Our family had a huge truck my father built for camping. At the back it had a ramp on which lived a BMW Isetta bubble car, no less than the cabriolet model with convertible roof. The idea was that once you set up the big truck with its side canopies and screening room in case you wanted to watch a movie in the evenings, instead of striking all this stuff and driving the truck to the shops for milk and bread, you'd let down the ramp, drive the mini-Bimmer off and run your errands in it. Since we had a choice of beach houses, the truck was never used. Okay, so now I'm a student. One day, to avoid killing a careless cyclist as it happens, on a narrow road I lose the narrow back end of my E-type (actually more lethal than the 911 Porsche which itself in its earliest incarnations had ugly handling) and trashed it pretty convincingly. So now I had a V12 engine which after I breathed on it a bit suddenly found itself walking 7 litres tall and over 500 horses at the rear wheels on the rolling road dyno, but nowhere to use it because the regulators refused to let my Big Healey race with the cutouts to its very substantial chassis I made to fit the hefty V12 low enough not to be an aero drag). The upshot was that I removed the 350cc (given from memory, Slow Johnny will look it up for us) motorbike engine from the back of the Isetta, welded what remained of the Isetta on two rails, added the V12 and Ted Knight's SLA Jaguar independent suspension, and let her rip. It left another sleeper I built, a Packard supercharged engine in a Fiat Topolino body only two paces long, for dead with a 0-60mph time of about two seconds. You could even steer it with the front wheels of the Isetta, as long as the massive power didn't lift them clear off the road, after which you were pretty much reliant on prayer. Passengers in it got religion right fast! I actually drove it around college for a while, then had an offer for the engine and the rear suspension, which I also breathed on, from another racer. I put the 350cc engine back in the Isetta and swapped it, plus a little Lancia Fulvia, for a brand-new Porsche 356C Cabriolet. It would be nice to have the Porsche now because it was a wonderful car to drive and own, but it's probably now too valuable to drive every day in a wet climate, but the Isetta with the V12 would be a hoot.

Andre Jute
You can see a Bentley R-type I turned into a genuine 135mph sports car in one of my books
Old March 6th 20, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara
external usenet poster

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 20:56:46 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/26/world...ntl/index.html

The article doesn't mention bikes, but it almost certainly applies to
motorists' treatment of bicyclists too.

Been a known phenomenon for as long as there have been cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFHT1lw3vSI