Bicycling gifts

Old December 21st 20, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Bicycling gifts

On Monday, December 21, 2020 at 1:00:32 PM UTC-5, Mark J. wrote:

I have had the same experience. Ringing a single-ding bell often got
the peds to turn around while moving sideways directly into my path. As
much as I dislike the brrring-brrring bells (just personal preference),
the point about them being more recognized is a good one.

I agree about the single ding being less recognizable. But I get good results by ringing it
early, several times, then courteously saying "Bicycle!" if necessary.

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 21st 20, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 12/21/2020 1:30 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, December 21, 2020 at 12:47:21 p.m. UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 05:30:43 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Sunday, December 20, 2020 at 8:19:14 p.m. UTC-5, wrote:

3. Extremely loud bells and noises will scare pedestrians and drivers
sufficiently to make them do something stupid. In effect, the bell is
waking them up. Quite often, instead of getting out of my way or
turning away from me, they will turn towards me risking a crash.
When I commuted in Toronto Canada I ended up using a mini-boat-horn.
It was the only thing that reliably penetrated the fog surrounding
many drivers and/or pedestrians brains. Now with the drivers so
distracted and with so many pedestrians using earbuds or earphones,
I'm sorely tempted to get an other one. I find that most bells simply
don't register in peoples' consciousness.
The mini-boat-horn sounds like a semi-truck.

Bigger is better?
https://us.hornit.com/products/hornit-db140
Only two AAA cells and it sounds like a bird?
https://player.vimeo.com/video/414794381 (1:04)

A loud horn or small explosion will certainly get the attention of a
pedestrian or driver. I've found that getting their attention wasn't
as much a problem as what happened after I got their attention. Many
would react in an unexpected and unpredictable manner. Instead of
avoiding a collision, they would lurch into my path and create a
potential collision. I ended up ringing my gong or blasting my horn
at a much longer distance away to give them time to realize that
there's a problem. Of course, that meant using an even louder gong or
horn. In general, I found that bells worked with pedestrians, but
were not loud enough to penetrate an automobile with closed windows
and music at maximum. A horn would work for those, but would scare
the pedestrians. Perhaps both? Since this will be a gift, perhaps
let the recipient decide which is the most appropriate?
--
Jeff Liebermann
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

I was riding along a busy road and a guy went to step off the sidewalk and in front of me. I touched that airhorn and he jumped back. As I passed I hear him mutter, "It was f***ing bicycle!" Had he known I was on a bicycle he'd have stepped in front of me.

Around here a bicycle bell gets people to stop and look up. They don't move out of the way. I figure they must think that ET is up there somewhere.

I'd be delighted if the folks I was overtaking simply stood still - or
just held their line. More commonly, on hearing the bell, they start
making sudden *random* lateral moves. Overtaking a group, no matter
which side you were planning to pass on, it's guaranteed that half of
them have jumped *into* the way. Small children are especially prone to
do this, somewhat understandably, but so many adults also! For
self-preservation, not to mention courtesy, one has to: ring bell, slow
down - often to walking pace, wait for random lateral movements to
settle out, *then* pass.

Mark J.

Old December 21st 20, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 10:45:45 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 10:01:44 -0800, sms
wrote:

Jeff:
ABUS GRANIT EXTREME 59/180HB260:
https://mobil.abus.com/usa/on-road/Locks/U-Shackle-Locks/U-Shackle-Locks-Motorbike/GRANIT-Extreme-59-180HB260

$225 plus $25 for the mounting bracket. That's about what my bicycle
is worth. I'm also not sure it would help. The theft problems I've
experienced involved someone with a tool kit removing various bolt on
accessories. I've done better using overpriced security fasteners,
solid axles with nuts, and hot melt glue in the threads and head. I
also lost an entire bicycle when I forgot to lock it, but that doesn't
count. I had thought that doing service calls on a junk bicycle would
deter theft. Nope, the local bicycle thieves will strip the bicycle
of anything that can be removed and leave the frame.

In my never humble opinion, Abus makes some of the best lock cores
available. I've been practicing lock picking for a few years and have
successfully picked most every lock in my collection. However, there
are several Abus padlocks that I'm unable to pick. However, for an
expert, the Abus X-Plus disk detainer core is not pick proof with the
proper tools (which I don't have yet):

[999] Abus Granit X-Plus 540 Bike Lock Picked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtdiO1ZiiXk (3:18)

Or perhaps quicker a battery powered angle grinder with a 1 mm wheel
:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 22nd 20, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:
[999] Abus Granit X-Plus 540 Bike Lock Picked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtdiO1ZiiXk (3:18)

Or perhaps quicker a battery powered angle grinder with a 1 mm wheel
:-)

1 mm abrasive cut off discs tend to shatter easily, especially if the
workpiece is not properly secured. 2 mm (5/64") are stronger.
However, if you really want fast cutting, you can get 0.8 mm discs:
https://www.pferd.com/int-en/products/cut-off-wheels-flap-discs-and-grinding-wheels/cut-off-wheels/universal-line-psf/psf-steelox/flat-type-eht-shape-41/flat-type-eht-shape-41/eht-76-0-8-psf-steelox-10-0/

The problem with angle grinders is that they make too much noise. Lock
picking is silent.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old December 22nd 20, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:
[999] Abus Granit X-Plus 540 Bike Lock Picked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtdiO1ZiiXk (3:18)

Or perhaps quicker a battery powered angle grinder with a 1 mm wheel
:-)

1 mm abrasive cut off discs tend to shatter easily, especially if the
workpiece is not properly secured. 2 mm (5/64") are stronger.
However, if you really want fast cutting, you can get 0.8 mm discs:
https://www.pferd.com/int-en/products/cut-off-wheels-flap-discs-and-grinding-wheels/cut-off-wheels/universal-line-psf/psf-steelox/flat-type-eht-shape-41/flat-type-eht-shape-41/eht-76-0-8-psf-steelox-10-0/

The problem with angle grinders is that they make too much noise. Lock
picking is silent.

I use 1mm wheels by preference and yes they can break but I have no
problem with then and they do cut a great deal faster then thicker
wheels. And they cut so fast that you are in and away in just a moment
:-)

Or you can attach the bicycle to a post without using a lock to make
it really secure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4herWkGMiaM
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 22nd 20, 08:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric Pozharski

wrote:
On Sunday, December 20, 2020 at 8:19:14 p.m. UTC-5,
wrote:

*SKIP*
Around here a bicycle bell gets people to stop and look up. They
don't move out of the way. I figure they must think that ET is up
there somewhere.

I'd be delighted if the folks I was overtaking simply stood still - or
just held their line. More commonly, on hearing the bell, they start
making sudden *random* lateral moves. Overtaking a group, no matter
which side you were planning to pass on, it's guaranteed that half of
them have jumped *into* the way. Small children are especially prone
to do this, somewhat understandably, but so many adults also! For
self-preservation, not to mention courtesy, one has to: ring bell,
slow down - often to walking pace, wait for random lateral movements
to settle out, *then* pass.

Well, that doesn't account for suicidal five-year-olds attempting
homicide (BTW, real story, I've survived, still traumatized).

Old December 22nd 20, 09:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Liebermann PO Box 272
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272 Skype:
[...]

Worse than bloody squirrels!

For self-preservation, not to mention courtesy, one has to: ring
bell, slow down - often to walking pace, wait for random lateral
movements to settle out, *then* pass.

Nah, get up right *close* behind them, *then* hit the Airzound :-)
Old December 22nd 20, 10:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

I think it was You've Been Framed took that to it's logical conclusion.
They stole a car, on a RoRo ferry.

They trick was to fill the ferry with the team, leaving an extra couple
of inches extra between *every* car. Half way across the English
channel, you shuffle *all* the cars around until you you can get the 7.5
ton van in front of your victim, hoist the car into into it, then put
the van back in the bows where it belongs, and replace all the cars as
they were before...nothing appears to have changed, but there is a car
missing...

Whoever co-ordinated that stunt missed a career in logistics.
Old December 22nd 20, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

Excellent DYI Christmas gift.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvaY...channel=Fordas

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 22nd 20, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

That should wake up those distracted drivers or pedestrians.

Cheers

Best Bicycle Gifts jbeattie Techniques 18 December 15th 14 12:37 PM
December bicycling gifts Claire General 17 January 12th 08 04:24 PM
ggreat Xmas gifts abbey Unicycling 3 December 27th 07 06:04 PM
Unique gifts for unicyclist kewel05 Unicycling 0 September 19th 05 01:44 PM
No gifts this year? Jiyang Chen Racing 26 July 24th 04 12:08 AM