Trek Hybrids

Old April 8th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

Default Trek Hybrids

On Apr 8, 8:30 am, fred wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

On Apr 7, 3:08 pm, "Gunny" wrote:
I've been a biker since I got serious about biking when I lived in
Belgium some 25 years ago. As I've aged, I've found the road bikes to
be somewhat unforgiving on arthritic joints so I switched to a Jamis
Hybrid about five years ago. I'm now used to the more upright
position and it's quite forgiving to my back, wrist, and elbow joints.

So, I'm ready to upgrage. I liked the Jamis, but I'd like to replace
it with a better quality bike and today I looked at the Trek line of
Hybrids at a local bike store and was mildly shocked at the price.
The Trek 7700 Hybrid was $1,200. Told the young fellow selling the
bikes that my first car, a Datsun 2000 station wagon, purchased in
1968, cost me $2,000 exactly. He was stunned!!! Jeeez, do I feel
old.

Ya making the same dough now as in 1968 Gunny? Do a search on that new
fangled thing called a computer and see what $1200 is in 1968
money...THEN compare to your 1968 Datsun..a Nissan basic is what,
$15,000 today???

Did so here in Canada (Bank of Canada is really helpful): $2000CDN from
1968 translates into less than $12000CDN today. Yeah, I thought it'd
be more than that.

Interesting. According to:

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

$2000 in 1968 is $11667 in 2006 (in US dollars). The inflation rates
are very similar in the US and Canada.

Old April 9th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Smith

For what its worth, I have a Specialized Globe A1 hybrid that I bought in
1998 for something like $450 USD and it has been a great bike for weekend
paved and unpaved bike path and city street riding. I'm thinking of buying a
road bike soon and will be looking at Specialized again.

"Gunny" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been a biker since I got serious about biking when I lived in
Belgium some 25 years ago. As I've aged, I've found the road bikes to
be somewhat unforgiving on arthritic joints so I switched to a Jamis
Hybrid about five years ago. I'm now used to the more upright
position and it's quite forgiving to my back, wrist, and elbow joints.

So, I'm ready to upgrage. I liked the Jamis, but I'd like to replace
it with a better quality bike and today I looked at the Trek line of
Hybrids at a local bike store and was mildly shocked at the price.
The Trek 7700 Hybrid was $1,200. Told the young fellow selling the
bikes that my first car, a Datsun 2000 station wagon, purchased in
1968, cost me $2,000 exactly. He was stunned!!! Jeeez, do I feel
old.

I guess I can cough up $1,200, but I'd first like to ask here if there
is anyone who has found a good quality hybrid for less than that, or
if there is anyone reading this in that has experience with Trek
Hybrids that would say: just pay it and enjoy it, they are fabulous
bikes.

Anyway, if you've got time the time to offer your opinions, I'd love
to hear them.

Many thanks,
Gunny

Old April 10th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Curtis L. Russell

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 08:30:34 -0500, fred wrote:

Ya making the same dough now as in 1968 Gunny? Do a search on that new
fangled thing called a computer and see what $1200 is in 1968
money...THEN compare to your 1968 Datsun..a Nissan basic is what,
$15,000 today???

Did so here in Canada (Bank of Canada is really helpful): $2000CDN from
1968 translates into less than $12000CDN today. Yeah, I thought it'd
be more than that.

In 1968 a catalogue Paramount would have cost you about $ 250, just a
bit more than the Gitane Tour de France I purchased that year. Those
bikes were not the top of the line (I seem to remember that a custom
Paramount was about $ 500 back then) and would be a $ 1,500 bike
today. The Schwinn equivalent to the hybrid would cost from $ 70 - $
120 from Schwinn, and not be in the category of a $ 1,200 Breezer. So
the 6x scaling up seems to be more or less in line, but the bikes
today are better quality, by and large, with more features. A $ 70
Collegiate was no great bicycle.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Trek Hybrids? musashi Mountain Biking 26 August 27th 04 03:19 PM
Hybrids again Saint UK 8 June 25th 04 01:05 PM
Hybrids The Nelson Paradigm Mountain Biking 4 June 3rd 04 02:38 PM
FA: Two Trek 7500FX hybrids, practically new Matt O'Toole Marketplace 0 May 6th 04 06:01 PM
HYBRIDS: Gary Fisher / Trek / Cannondale - Your Opinions Please RJRider General 1 July 29th 03 10:33 AM