Folding bicycles with fenders/mud guards ?

Old April 11th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Ziggy

Default Folding bicycles with fenders/mud guards ?

On 11 Apr 2007 14:51:40 +0100 (BST), David Damerell
wrote:

Quoting Tom Keats :
The more expensive rain pants & jacket approach has a number
of advantages over the rain cape approach. For one thing, it's
difficult if not impossible to do hand signals from under a
rain cape,

"Not impossible" is right. Ie, possible.

His use of the English language seems to be a little too subtle for you.

The use of litotes to indicate something does not indicate a black v white
converse.

so that restricts a rider from streets & roads with
higher volumes of traffic.

Nonsense.

That sort of response adds nothing to the debate. If you were an acknowledged
authority on the subject it might mean something, but you are just a USENET
poster who makes a great many mistakes in both fact and logic in what he posts.

Old April 11th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Dane Buson

In rec.bicycles.misc wrote:
On Apr 10, 4:09 pm, Dane Buson wrote:

Oooh, nice. I've been looking for a pair of gaiters to supplement my
rain boots when it's really coming down. However, I think I'm going to
keep looking as $60 is a bit more than I was planning on spending...

Your comment struck a nerve (not your fault)...

I run into your question/comment all the time, with all the stuff I
buy.

Well, really for your application they're not extravagant at all. In
fact they're almost certainly cheaper than my solution of fenders +
boots + cheaper gaiters. Your problem space is different than mine
however.

When I am riding to work (8 miles in the morning, 8 miles home at
night), all I care about is, if my feet are wet and cold. My Gore-Tex
system is not cheap, but it is 100% effective. I wear Gore_Tex head to
toe, in bad weather. My gaiters are *absolutely essential* for all wet
weather (snow/rain), and any temps less than 40 degrees F. Plus, they
keep my pants out of the chain. And, I think they are really stylish.

Well, the reason is not that I consider $60 expensive for your
application. It's rather that I am cheap. Also, as I mentioned I only
need the gaiters when it's precipitating quadrapeds of the canid and
felid persuasion. I already have a pair of very water-resistant winter
cycling boots and fenders. The only time I need gaiters is when the
rain is coming down so hard it insinuates itself through the top of my
boots.

Since I would only be using them about 10% of the winter, I don't want
to spend much on them, as my current solution is *almost* wholely
satisfactory. I doubt they would fair any better than my current setup
with the full immersion test.

But you must know, I do not follow the latest trends. I expect to set
my own trends. And if they don't follow immediately, well, I hope they
catch up

Meh, I'm not much of a fashion victim as regards cycling. Part of that
is of course my habit of destroying gear and equipment. It's not good
to become too attached to ephemeral things.

--
Dane Buson -

The problem with engineers is that they tend to cheat in order to get results.
The problem with mathematicians is that they tend to work on toy problems in order to get results.
The problem with program verifiers is that they tend to cheat at toy problems in order to get results
Old April 11th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Dane Buson wrote:

In rec.bicycles.misc wrote:

I use my BF
http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/bike1.jpg for
commuting in Chicago all year round. Instead of a rear fender, I
always have my Topeak rear rack and trunk bag (trunk bag not shown in
the pic). This is very effective at protecting your clothing. For the
front wheel, I wear gaiters http://www2.llbean.com/product/43528.htm .
The gaiters are very packable when the weather is nice - J.

Oooh, nice. I've been looking for a pair of gaiters to supplement my
rain boots when it's really coming down. However, I think I'm going to
keep looking as $60 is a bit more than I was planning on spending...

Then go up the navigation a little way. Others are available for 19
bucks from L.L.Bean...
Old April 11th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Dane Buson

In rec.bicycles.misc Phil Cook wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:

Oooh, nice. I've been looking for a pair of gaiters to supplement my
rain boots when it's really coming down. However, I think I'm going to
keep looking as $60 is a bit more than I was planning on spending...

Then go up the navigation a little way. Others are available for 19
bucks from L.L.Bean...

So close and yet so far. I was about to put one in the shopping cart.
Size Large, out of stock. Oh well, I'll check them in the fall. I
don't really need them until then.

--
Dane Buson -
Alliance, n.:

Folding Bicycles iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Australia 3 July 22nd 04 11:04 PM
Issues with folding bicycles on European trains? Tom Worthington UK 52 July 16th 04 06:47 PM
Issues with folding bicycles on European trains? Tom Worthington Australia 39 July 16th 04 06:47 PM
Folding Bicycles in London Alan UK 9 November 17th 03 01:56 PM
rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides BW Rides 1 October 18th 03 04:45 PM