my new summer wheel

Old April 11th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Will

Default my new summer wheel

On Apr 10, 11:29 am, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

Wow. It's like another bike. I probably picked up at least 10% on my speed,
I swear. And climbing hills is like a dream.

You know I gotta believe the reason you feel it's another bike is that
it's spring again g. You're out of your cocoon clothes. The d a r
k s e a s o n is over!!!

My bike always feels faster in the spring.

Old April 11th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Apr 10, 10:29 am, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:
I have a friction-powered headlight. Rather than ride another summer
grinding energy for a headlight I don't use from about March to October, I
bought myself another wheel. Nothing fancy, a Shimano 105 hub, some sort of
ordinary Mavic rim.

Wow. It's like another bike. I probably picked up at least 10% on my speed,
I swear. And climbing hills is like a dream.

A friend asked me, "does this mean you aren't going back to your friction
hub headlight?" I replied that, since nearly all my October to March miles
are in the dark, commuting, that I'd switch back without hesitation. I
really do like the convenience of an always-available,
never-have-to-recharge, can-never-overcharge light.

But dang, I can't believe I rode for two summers with it. Yeah, on Thursday
night I came back late, and I used just the cateye see-me light. But I'm
usually never riding all that far under those circumstances (in these, less
than 5 miles, in a street-lit urban environment), and it's well worth it not
to have the drag.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
See the books I've set free at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

Hi, Claire, if the friction of your generator concerns you, maybe you
would like one of these:-

http://tinyurl.com/22o888

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

*****

Old April 11th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SlowRider

wrote:
I have a friction-powered headlight. Rather than ride another summer
grinding energy for a headlight I don't use from about March to October, I
bought myself another wheel. Nothing fancy, a Shimano 105 hub, some sort of
ordinary Mavic rim.

Wow. It's like another bike. I probably picked up at least 10% on my speed,
I swear. And climbing hills is like a dream.

If you ever want that drag back for nostalgia, just do as I did -- buy
a new set of wheels and then neglect to adjust your brakes before you
take your first spin. Amazing how a gently-rubbing brake pad can make
any day seem windy and any hill seem like the Koppenberg.

(What can I say -- I wrench my own bike, so I've got a fool for a
mechanic...)

-JR

Old April 12th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Patrick Lamb

wrote:

Wow. It's like another bike. I probably picked up at least 10% on my speed,
I swear. And climbing hills is like a dream.

You know I gotta believe the reason you feel it's another bike is that
it's spring again g. You're out of your cocoon clothes. The d a r
k s e a s o n is over!!!

My bike always feels faster in the spring.

Mine too, but I think taking off the tights is responsible for 2 mph
extra all by itself!

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old April 12th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Fred

oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

Has anyone tried these things?

Old April 12th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Fred" wrote: Hi, Claire, if the friction of your generator concerns you,
....(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Fred, Claire has solved her generator friction problem with a new
generator/wheel combo. The link you provided is for a generating blinking
light--Claire uses a headlight.

Old April 12th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Fred

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Fred" wrote: Hi, Claire, if the friction of your generator concerns
you, ...(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Fred, Claire has solved her generator friction problem with a new
generator/wheel combo. The link you provided is for a generating blinking
light--Claire uses a headlight.
I didn't provide the link. I just wondered if anyone had tried these
flashing lights..

Old April 12th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Apr 10, 6:51 pm, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:
"Bill" wrote: What is a ***friction*** powered headlight?

I was wondering the same thing, Claire.

Maybe a Van de Graaf generator light? Could be those million-plus-
volt headlamp bulbs aren't very efficient, hence the high drag. ;-)

See http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/dynotest.html for info on real
generator drag.

- Frank Krygowski

Old April 13th 07, 08:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article om,
writes:
On Apr 10, 6:51 pm, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:
"Bill" wrote: What is a ***friction*** powered headlight?

I was wondering the same thing, Claire.

Maybe a Van de Graaf generator light? Could be those million-plus-
volt headlamp bulbs aren't very efficient, hence the high drag. ;-)

See
http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/dynotest.html for info on real
generator drag.

I don't think Claire has a Van der Graaf generator
on her bike. Just an erstwhile hub generator that
impinged a drag and weight penalty during daylight
hours. Now she's got a lighter, free-er rolling
front wheel and she detects a noteworthy difference.
Same as switching to a pair of lighter tires.

A Van der Graaf generator would be fun, though --
make yer hair stick up through yer helmet holes.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Riding this summer in NY GeorgeWBush Unicycling 0 February 2nd 07 02:32 AM
Hey -- it will soon be summer! Pinky UK 0 February 17th 06 04:44 PM
That was the summer MartinM UK 2 September 13th 05 11:16 PM
Another summer evening Kevin Costner Racing 0 July 24th 05 10:20 AM
"Aaah, summer" or "Aargh, summer": Nettles! phil Unicycling 5 July 12th 05 11:26 AM