Folding bicycles with fenders/mud guards ?

Old March 26th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Will

Default Folding bicycles with fenders/mud guards ?

On Mar 25, 9:40 pm, Don Wiss wrote:
Besides the Bromptom and Dahons, what folding bicycles have fenders? I'd
like one for travel, and it needs to be able to be used on dirt and sand
roads. Plus, when it rains, I don't want to have to stop.

Here's a good one. Check out the cross model... It has the nipple
braze-ons for fenders. Choice of steel or titanium...

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/web/Ritc...ain/20789.html

Old March 26th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat

The specific complaints I heard (and had wondered about) were that the
front fender stops at the fork. I was told the front wheel throws a
dirty spray up and forward, which blows back onto him and his bike.
Also, the rear fender stops well above the chainstays, and allows crap
to sling down onto the bottom bracket area, chain, and feet. Then
there's the sideways movement of the cantilevered front fender.

Have you not had those problems, or do you not mind them?

- Frank Krygowski

I haven't had the problems of the spray at all. And, just the one front
fender wiggles around a bit. Maybe I need some duct tape....or J.B.Weld.

Pat in TX

Old March 26th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Ziggy
') wrote:

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:17:33 +0100, Tony Raven
wrote:

Paul Rudin wrote on 26/03/2007 08:54 +0100:
Tony Raven writes:

Tony Raven wrote on 26/03/2007 08:21 +0100:
wrote on 26/03/2007 03:51 +0100:
With that caveat, I'd recommend getting the bike you like best, and
adding Freddy Fenders to it.

Are they available in the UK? Google didn't help.

Sorry about the multiple posts - my SMTP server kept saying it hadn't
been sent so I kept trying.

You send news via smtp?

That's what it tells me on the posting error messages. Vagaries of the
server I post through, for reasons I don't quite understand, even though
it is set up as an NNTP account on TB.

SMTP *is* the way USENET news is sent from the end user.

Err... no it isn't, and never was. UUCP in the distant past, NNTP now. See
RFC 977, section 3.10.1. The message format is as defined in RFC 850,
which references RFC 822, which is mail format, but NNTP sending is very
different from SMTP sending (as you'd expect as the two protocols do
different things).

With NNTP you send POST; you hope that the server sends 340; if it does you
send the message, followed by a line comprising just a full stop; you hope
the server sends 240.

With SMTP you send MAIL FROM:user@address; you hope the server sends 250
OK; you send RCPT TO:user@address; you hope the server sends 250 OK; you
may repeat the RCPT TO message several times with different 'to'
addresses; you send DATA; you hope the server sends 354; you send the
message, followed by a line comprising just a full stop; you hope the
server sends 250 OK.

I can still (just) send a mail message by typing raw SMTP over a telnet
session; I don't think I've ever tried to inject a Usenet message by
typing raw NNTP, but I've seen it done.

'Victories are not solutions.'
;; John Hume, Northern Irish politician, on Radio Scotland 1/2/95
;; Nobel Peace Prize laureate 1998; few have deserved it so much

Old April 8th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling

On Mar 25, 9:40 pm, Don Wiss wrote:
Besides the Bromptom and Dahons, what folding bicycles have fenders? I'd
like one for travel, and it needs to be able to be used on dirt and sand
roads. Plus, when it rains, I don't want to have to stop. Rental bikes
almost never have fenders, and I've ruined many clothes during my travels
because of this.

Since this isn't going to be a commuter bike, it need not be small. It just
has to fold, so I can take in onto small planes. So bigger wheels would be
better.

I like this one:http://dahon.com/intl/glidep8.htm
Though it is on the heavy side. I do need lights when I travel to the
Caribbean, as it gets dark rather early. But bringing along battery
operated ones have worked fine.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I use my BF http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/bike1.jpg for
commuting in Chicago all year round. Instead of a rear fender, I
always have my Topeak rear rack and trunk bag (trunk bag not shown in
the pic). This is very effective at protecting your clothing. For the
front wheel, I wear gaiters http://www2.llbean.com/product/43528.htm .
The gaiters are very packable when the weather is nice - J.

Old April 10th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Dane Buson

In rec.bicycles.misc wrote:

I use my BF
http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/bike1.jpg for
commuting in Chicago all year round. Instead of a rear fender, I
always have my Topeak rear rack and trunk bag (trunk bag not shown in
the pic). This is very effective at protecting your clothing. For the
front wheel, I wear gaiters http://www2.llbean.com/product/43528.htm .
The gaiters are very packable when the weather is nice - J.

Oooh, nice. I've been looking for a pair of gaiters to supplement my
rain boots when it's really coming down. However, I think I'm going to
keep looking as $60 is a bit more than I was planning on spending...

--
Dane Buson -
How much does it cost to entice a dope-smoking UNIX system guru to Dayton?
Old April 11th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling

On Apr 10, 4:09 pm, Dane Buson wrote:
In rec.bicycles.misc wrote:

I use my BFhttp://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/bike1.jpgfor
commuting in Chicago all year round. Instead of a rear fender, I
always have my Topeak rear rack and trunk bag (trunk bag not shown in
the pic). This is very effective at protecting your clothing. For the
front wheel, I wear gaitershttp://www2.llbean.com/product/43528.htm.
The gaiters are very packable when the weather is nice - J.

Oooh, nice. I've been looking for a pair of gaiters to supplement my
rain boots when it's really coming down. However, I think I'm going to
keep looking as $60 is a bit more than I was planning on spending...

--
Dane Buson -
How much does it cost to entice a dope-smoking UNIX system guru to Dayton?
-- Brian Boyle, UNIX/WORLD's First Annual Salary Survey

Hey Dane,

Your comment struck a nerve (not your fault)...

I run into your question/comment all the time, with all the stuff I
buy.

When I am riding to work (8 miles in the morning, 8 miles home at
night), all I care about is, if my feet are wet and cold. My Gore-Tex
system is not cheap, but it is 100% effective. I wear Gore_Tex head to
toe, in bad weather. My gaiters are *absolutely essential* for all wet
weather (snow/rain), and any temps less than 40 degrees F. Plus, they
keep my pants out of the chain. And, I think they are really stylish.
But you must know, I do not follow the latest trends. I expect to set
my own trends. And if they don't follow immediately, well, I hope they
catch up - J.

Old April 11th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

In rec.bicycles.misc wrote:

[...]

Gaiters are an essential part of my own rain gear, at
least for shorter hops while wearing street clothes,
in cooler, non-shorts weather.

I got them on the cheap ($15.oo CDN) from a military
surplus/discount store. Those, supplemented with my
homemade toeclip covers (lengths of inner tube rubber
stretched over the toeclips and held in place with
zip ties,) my shoes remain dry, yet breathable and cool.
And the shins of my jeans stay nice & dry, right up to
the knee. My $25 rain cape and $? helmet cover take
care of the top part of me.

I don't care about stylish, I just wanna stay dry.

Anyways, my system works pretty good.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old April 11th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling

On Apr 10, 8:25 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

In rec.bicycles.misc wrote:

[...]

I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca- Hide quoted text -

Tom,

You are right. I am sure there are cheaper ways to achieve my ends (a
comfortable all-weather ride). I *start*at the top $, if I can afford
it. Most people look for the cheapest possible solution, and only
spend more if their first choice was not satisfactory.

I will undoubtedly die broke - J.

Old April 11th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

In article .com,
" writes:

Gaiters are an essential part of my own rain gear, at
least for shorter hops while wearing street clothes,
in cooler, non-shorts weather.

I got them on the cheap ($15.oo CDN) from a military
surplus/discount store. Those, supplemented with my
homemade toeclip covers (lengths of inner tube rubber
stretched over the toeclips and held in place with
zip ties,) my shoes remain dry, yet breathable and cool.
And the shins of my jeans stay nice & dry, right up to
the knee. My $25 rain cape and $? helmet cover take
care of the top part of me.

I don't care about stylish, I just wanna stay dry.

Anyways, my system works pretty good.

[snip]

Tom,

You are right. I am sure there are cheaper ways to achieve my ends (a
comfortable all-weather ride). I *start*at the top $, if I can afford
it. Most people look for the cheapest possible solution, and only
spend more if their first choice was not satisfactory.

I really don't think money has much to do with it.
Stuff either works, or it doesn't (or falls somewhere
in between,) no matter how much or how little it costs.

The trick to doing it the cheap way is to ask oneself:
"How can I comfortably ride under these adverse conditions
/right now/, with what I've got?" As far as I'm concerned,
if someone figures out a way to ride when others would be
stymied, I say: Good on them!

The more expensive rain pants & jacket approach has a number
of advantages over the rain cape approach. For one thing, it's
difficult if not impossible to do hand signals from under a
rain cape, so that restricts a rider from streets & roads with
higher volumes of traffic. I enjoy the ability to geographically
get around that problem, but not everybody does.

We all have our unique, individual approaches to problem-solving,
and I think it's great that there's such a variegity of them.
We contribute what we've figured out to the pool, and take what
other people have figured out, that might work for us, too.
I find it beautifully communal.

So, it's about what works for /you/. You're right, too.

But I concur with your appreciation for gaiters. Especially
when wearing trousers. Shins & cuffs of trousers seem to
bear the brunt.

I will undoubtedly die broke - J.

Some say it's a sin to die rich.

cheers,
Tom

Old April 11th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Tom Keats :
The more expensive rain pants & jacket approach has a number
of advantages over the rain cape approach. For one thing, it's
difficult if not impossible to do hand signals from under a
rain cape,

"Not impossible" is right. Ie, possible.

so that restricts a rider from streets & roads with
higher volumes of traffic.

Nonsense.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Today is Monday, April.

Folding Bicycles iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Australia 3 July 22nd 04 11:04 PM
Issues with folding bicycles on European trains? Tom Worthington UK 52 July 16th 04 06:47 PM
Issues with folding bicycles on European trains? Tom Worthington Australia 39 July 16th 04 06:47 PM
Folding Bicycles in London Alan UK 9 November 17th 03 01:56 PM
rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides BW Rides 1 October 18th 03 04:45 PM