Too much weight on hands....

Old April 5th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob in CT[_2_]

Default Too much weight on hands....

and I feel as if I keep pushing myself backward on my saddle. I have a new
Brooks saddle that is pointed slightly downward (say, by one increment).
I believe this is the set up I used to ride my racing bike for two
centuries two years ago, in addition to a bunch of additional miles. I
also rode last year, but sadly not much. I am not 100 percent sure that
this is the exact set up I had been using two years ago, as a while ago, I
went from a 130mm stem to a 110mm stem, but also installed a much wider
(say, 2 inches) handle bar. I cannot remember when I did that. The
original stem on my LeMond was 110mm. The Brooks saddle is back as far as
it can go.

When I ride, I feel as if I would like a longer stem (say, 120mm). I
currently have a 130mm and a 110mm stem, so I could put on the 130mm stem,
but I'd like to have some opinions as to what might cause too much weight
on my hands and the feeling that I need to push myself backwards. I'm
currently riding with my butt basically at the end of the saddle. Are too
much weight on the hands/pushing backwards because of too short a stem, a
saddle that's not parallel to the ground, a saddle that's not far enough
back, or some combination of these?

By the way, I googled "weight on hands fit bicycle" and found several
websites. One said that too much weight on the hands was caused by too
short a stem, while another said that the cause was too long a stem. So,
now I'm confused, as it feels to me that the stem could be longer. If I
put my hands on the ends of the hoods, for instance, I feel better.

--
Bob in CT
Old April 5th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
gds

On Apr 5, 8:52 am, "Bob in CT" wrote:
[...]

Seriously, it is really hard to diagnose and refit a bike on the web.
If you really want to solve the problem without a whole lot of trial
and error why not just go into a good bike shop and have the bike
refit to you? If the fitter is good that process will take ~30
minutes. And, at least around here, if you are a regular customer some
of the shops will do it for free; they figure you will be a better
future customer and they probablu get to sell you some stuff to make
the bike fit correct.

Old April 6th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Kruger

gds wrote:

Seriously, it is really hard to diagnose and refit a bike on the web.
If you really want to solve the problem without a whole lot of trial
and error why not just go into a good bike shop and have the bike
refit to you? If the fitter is good that process will take ~30
minutes. And, at least around here, if you are a regular customer some
of the shops will do it for free; they figure you will be a better
future customer and they probablu get to sell you some stuff to make
the bike fit correct.

A word of advice: You will get a much better reception at the deadest time
in the week, when they can either spend time with you or straighten the
merchandise and re-order.

Old April 6th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Apr 5, 10:52 am, "Bob in CT" wrote:
and I feel as if I keep pushing myself backward on my saddle. I have a new
Brooks saddle that is pointed slightly downward (say, by one increment).

Hmm, pretty much everybody I know, me included, that have ridden
Brooks have liked them ever so slightly nose up for this reason.
Actually the rear area where you sit will be pretty much level with
the nose slightly up. Adjust so you're sitting just ahead of the
rivets, not the part where it starts to slope down. Of course, this
may be the worst advice in the world in your particular situation so
take it with a grain of salt.

Old April 6th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Ridesalot

On Apr 5, 11:52 am, "Bob in CT" wrote:
[...]

Hello there.

When you changed your stem did you by chance lower the handlebars?

I have an ancient Wright saddle which is similar to the Brooks. I too
find I need to have it set slightly nose up due to the fore-aft
curvature of the saddle.

Using a wind trainer or having some one hold the bike upright try
sitting upright an pedal (backwards if some one is holding the bike)
this should allow you to feel if you are leaning forward because of
incorrect saddle tilt. ie, you feel you need to hold the bars to
maintain your position.

Another thing. Where are your hands when you feel that yo have to push
back? If it is on the brake hoods it could be that your levers are
positioned too low on the bike if you are using drop bars.

I hope this helps.

Old April 6th 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Bob in CT" wrote in message
news
[...]

Level out the saddle. An even-slightly nose-down position on many, if not
most saddles, will cause exactly what you describe. You get the feeling the
stem's not long enough, too much pressure on the hands, and something you
didn't mention but usually comes with it, tense shoulders & neck. The issue
is that you're maintaining position on the saddle by pushing back from the
bars with your hands. Serious bad news. You want a neutral position on the
bike, where you expend zero energy being comfortable. No squirming around.

We get customers coming into the shop all the time with nose-down saddles.
First thing I ask them is if they're experiencing any neck or shoulder pain.
They'll often get quite defensive, wondering why I'm bringing that up and in
fact yes, they do experience such issues, how did I know? And I'll explain
the mechanics of saddle positioning, work on why they think they need it
nose-down (very often it's because the stem is too low rleative to the
saddle, and sometimes too long as well, but height is more typically the
reason... the larger drop is causing them to put too much pressure on the
front of the saddle, so they "solve" the problem by dropping the nose).

By the way, I googled "weight on hands fit bicycle" and found several
websites. One said that too much weight on the hands was caused by too
short a stem, while another said that the cause was too long a stem. So,
now I'm confused, as it feels to me that the stem could be longer. If I
put my hands on the ends of the hoods, for instance, I feel better.

What size frame, how tall are you, and how much drop from the top of the
seat to the top of the bars?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old April 6th 07, 09:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" writes:

[...]

I think you called it, Mike.

It often doesn't take much of an adjustment of saddle tilt
to make things right.

And with a lot of saddles, it's hard to determine their
levelness by eyeballing. So many saddle tops have complex
contours that obscure their actual angle -- upswept cantle
in the back, and downswept nose up front. Just because the
rails are level doesn't mean the top of the saddle is, too.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old April 6th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Banned

On Apr 5, 9:52 am, "Bob in CT" wrote:
[...]

TRY-level saddle and move the saddle back a smidge..tough w/o seeing
you but...

Old April 6th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob in CT[_2_]

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 12:45:58 -0400, gds wrote:

On Apr 5, 8:52 am, "Bob in CT" wrote:
[...]

You know, every time I've done this, they do a poor job. For instance, I
went to one bike shop that used the "fit kit". I hated that position.
Absolutely hated it. I pushed my saddle back, put the saddle down a tad,
and put a longer stem on. That rocked! The fit kit was abysmal.

--
Bob in CT
Old April 6th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Apr 5, 5:52 pm, "Bob in CT" wrote:
[...]

Are you big? I had a similar problem of not being able to find a
comfortable stem length. Sometimes I thought I wanted shorter, other
times longer. For me the issue was just fore-aft balance. I ended up
first working out a hip angle and arm-reach position I liked (yet way
too much weight on hands) and then rotated the whole setup backwards
by moving the seat back (way back) and down, and moving the bars up
and back. This kept the upper body position angles the way I like it,
but moved some weight from my hands to my butt. The nose of my saddle
is slighly up too, and this helps keep my butt where it should be.

If you feel like you want the saddle further back, but can't get it to
go there, maybe a set-back seatpost will do the trick.

Joseph