my new summer wheel

Old April 10th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Claire Petersky

Default my new summer wheel

I have a friction-powered headlight. Rather than ride another summer
grinding energy for a headlight I don't use from about March to October, I
bought myself another wheel. Nothing fancy, a Shimano 105 hub, some sort of
ordinary Mavic rim.

Wow. It's like another bike. I probably picked up at least 10% on my speed,
I swear. And climbing hills is like a dream.

A friend asked me, "does this mean you aren't going back to your friction
hub headlight?" I replied that, since nearly all my October to March miles
are in the dark, commuting, that I'd switch back without hesitation. I
really do like the convenience of an always-available,
never-have-to-recharge, can-never-overcharge light.

But dang, I can't believe I rode for two summers with it. Yeah, on Thursday
night I came back late, and I used just the cateye see-me light. But I'm
usually never riding all that far under those circumstances (in these, less
than 5 miles, in a street-lit urban environment), and it's well worth it not
to have the drag.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old April 10th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Claire Petersky wrote:
I have a friction-powered headlight. Rather than ride another summer
grinding energy for a headlight I don't use from about March to October, I
bought myself another wheel. Nothing fancy, a Shimano 105 hub, some sort of
ordinary Mavic rim.

What is a ***friction*** powered headlight? That reminds me of those
1950's type generators that just rubbed against the tire and did take a
lot of effort for a little light. A center hub generator is supposed to
take almost no power if it is not being used.
Curious.
Bill Baka

Old April 10th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Bill" wrote: What is a ***friction*** powered headlight? That reminds me
of those 1950's type generators that just rubbed against the tire and did
take a lot of effort for a little light. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was wondering the same thing, Claire. Besides, doesn't the ***friction***
drive generator lift off the tire when it's not needed, resulting in NO
power loss?

Old April 11th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Bill writes:
Claire Petersky wrote:
I have a friction-powered headlight. Rather than ride another summer
grinding energy for a headlight I don't use from about March to October, I
bought myself another wheel. Nothing fancy, a Shimano 105 hub, some sort of
ordinary Mavic rim.

What is a ***friction*** powered headlight? That reminds me of those
1950's type generators that just rubbed against the tire and did take a
lot of effort for a little light. A center hub generator is supposed to
take almost no power if it is not being used.
Curious.

I believe she's talking about a front wheel hub generator.
Those things are reputed to inflict somewhat more drag when
switched off, than when switched on.

As for your "1950's type generators that just rubbed against
a tire," the modern versions don't require much work at all.

Even the old Union generators (of which I have a few) don't take
that much effort, either. At least, not for a stronger rider.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old April 11th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
mark

Claire Petersky wrote:
[...]

By "friction powered headlight" and "grinding energy for a headlight I
don't use" do you, perchance, mean a hub generator? If so, what kind of
hub generator? I've got a Shimano 3N-71 hub generator powering my
headlight, and it certainly doesn't cut my speed by any 10%. If your hub
generator is a cheaper model, treat yourself to a higher quality
generator hub like the 3N-71 or a SON (Schmidt Original Nabendynamo).

Or have you just been riding around with your bottle generator engaged
during daylight hours? :-D

mark
Old April 11th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

mark wrote:
Claire Petersky wrote:
[...]

Or,
Maybe she turns off her headlight by shorting it out. Ouch, what a load
that would be.
Bill Baka
Old April 11th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Bill" wrote: Maybe she turns off her headlight by shorting it out. Ouch,
what a load
that would be.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now we have drifted to the topic of another thread: "The speed of dark."

Old April 11th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

I have a friction-powered headlight. Rather than ride another summer
grinding energy for a headlight I don't use from about March to October, I
bought myself another wheel. Nothing fancy, a Shimano 105 hub, some sort
of ordinary Mavic rim.

,

Using narrow tires at 100 psi you will also fly faster if you are not
already.: )

Old April 11th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Bill writes:
Claire Petersky wrote:
I have a friction-powered headlight. Rather than ride another summer
grinding energy for a headlight I don't use from about March to October, I
bought myself another wheel. Nothing fancy, a Shimano 105 hub, some sort of
ordinary Mavic rim.

What is a ***friction*** powered headlight? That reminds me of those
1950's type generators that just rubbed against the tire and did take a
lot of effort for a little light. A center hub generator is supposed to
take almost no power if it is not being used.
Curious.

I believe she's talking about a front wheel hub generator.
Those things are reputed to inflict somewhat more drag when
switched off, than when switched on.

Yes, she has a Shimano hub dynamo.

As for your "1950's type generators that just rubbed against
a tire," the modern versions don't require much work at all.

Even the old Union generators (of which I have a few) don't take
that much effort, either. At least, not for a stronger rider.

I've never really noticed any extra effort. My average speed declines a
little, but not enough for me too care much about. Especially in winter
when I'm already riding slower because of poor light and extra wind drag
from extra clothing.

--
Dane Buson -
A Dublin lawyer died in poverty and many barristers of the city subscribed to
Old April 11th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Claire Petersky wrote:
I have a friction-powered headlight. Rather than ride another summer
grinding energy for a headlight I don't use from about March to October, I
bought myself another wheel. Nothing fancy, a Shimano 105 hub, some sort of
ordinary Mavic rim.

Wow. It's like another bike. I probably picked up at least 10% on my speed,
I swear. And climbing hills is like a dream.

A friend asked me, "does this mean you aren't going back to your friction
hub headlight?" I replied that, since nearly all my October to March miles
are in the dark, commuting, that I'd switch back without hesitation. I
really do like the convenience of an always-available,
never-have-to-recharge, can-never-overcharge light.

Right, rechargable lights are suboptimal IMHO. And with the money saved
from not replacing them every year[1], I've already payed for my dynamo
wheel + light.

But dang, I can't believe I rode for two summers with it. Yeah, on Thursday
night I came back late, and I used just the cateye see-me light. But I'm
usually never riding all that far under those circumstances (in these, less
than 5 miles, in a street-lit urban environment), and it's well worth it not
to have the drag.

I really should dig out my other front wheel. It's not so much the
drag, but I could do with a little less weight. My bike is somewhat
heavy admittedly...

[1] Commuting year round in Seattle is not kind to anything except a
*very* well sealed device.

--
Dane Buson -
For reasons beyond the comprehension of most people, many fixed-gear riders insist

When informed of this bizarre cult, a friend of mine remarked that riding with
deliberately ineffective braking offers all the exhilaration, sense of
superiority, and irresponsibility of driving drunk without the hangover.

I haven't thought of a good rebuttal yet.
-- Carl Fogel in r.b.tech

Riding this summer in NY GeorgeWBush Unicycling 0 February 2nd 07 02:32 AM
Hey -- it will soon be summer! Pinky UK 0 February 17th 06 04:44 PM
That was the summer MartinM UK 2 September 13th 05 11:16 PM
Another summer evening Kevin Costner Racing 0 July 24th 05 10:20 AM
"Aaah, summer" or "Aargh, summer": Nettles! phil Unicycling 5 July 12th 05 11:26 AM