Another reason to avoid critical mass...

Old May 20th 08, 05:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Brent P

Default Another reason to avoid critical mass...

http://articles.citypages.com/2008-0.../moles-wanted/

Seems the old police and federal moles infiltrating groups and then
possibly starting violence is still alive and well.

Old May 20th 08, 05:54 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Brent P writes:

http://articles.citypages.com/2008-0.../moles-wanted/

Seems the old police and federal moles infiltrating groups and then
possibly starting violence is still alive and well.

/Avoid/ Critical Mass?!

Hell, it seems like we've gotta rush to its aid!

At least in some backwards, carochial places.

But it sounds more to me like you're trying to
scare-off "upstart" cyclists from claiming our
due space on the streets.

I propose any infiltrators or moles or undercover guys at
CM rides be inundated with much love and hugs 'n kisses.
Leis and pookah shell necklaces might be a nice touch,
too.

I furthermore implore everyone to not use the distraction
as an opportunity to boost rats' wallets or sidearms,
while tossing them down storm sewer grates and replacing
them in their pockets/holsters with curling irons, or
Pez dispensers, or hash pipes, or fresh fruit.

--
Four dead in O-hi-o.
I'm really at:
Old May 20th 08, 06:18 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

On May 19, 11:05*pm, Brent P
wrote:
http://articles.citypages.com/2008-0.../moles-wanted/

Seems the old police and federal moles infiltrating groups and then
possibly starting violence is still alive and well.

That's one possibility. Another is that conspiracy theorists see
conspiracies everywhere. What "Paul Carroll" told the reporter was
that he'd been solicited to become an informant, to report possible
criminal activities. The reporter, Matt Snyders, then stopped
reporting and began to editorialize, implying that the use of
informants must have some dark purpose behind it. That's actually
rather funny since his entire story is based on the word of one person
using a pseudonym. Law enforcement has a term for people matching that
description. We call them confidential informants. Matt just calls
them sources. That's the only difference. Well, that and we don't base
an entire case on the unproven word of one pseudonymous source.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old May 20th 08, 06:22 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Brent P

On 2008-05-20, Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Brent P writes:

http://articles.citypages.com/2008-0.../moles-wanted/

Seems the old police and federal moles infiltrating groups and then
possibly starting violence is still alive and well.

/Avoid/ Critical Mass?!
Hell, it seems like we've gotta rush to its aid!

It was a bit of humor, because there are all sorts of reasons to avoid
it that it didn't need government moles. Went over your head I
suppose.

But it sounds more to me like you're trying to
scare-off "upstart" cyclists from claiming our
due space on the streets.

Nice one there Tom. Still the same I see. Considering I have oh
probably a few thousand posts defending a bicyclist's right to road,
you're just well, full of ****.

I propose Critical mass stop being assholes who run red signals and
generally make asses of themselves by ignoring even the most basic
rules of the roads, those rules that even allow bicyclists to use the
same road system as other bicyclists. Like I posted a few weeks ago or
so, I think it would be amusing to assert right of way (green signal)
while bicycling as these critical massholes are running the red.
Either their heads would asplode or they would just react with
violence.

Old May 20th 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Brent P writes:

But it sounds more to me like you're trying to
scare-off "upstart" cyclists from claiming our
due space on the streets.

Nice one there Tom. Still the same I see. Considering I have oh
probably a few thousand posts defending a bicyclist's right to road,
you're just well, full of ****.

And you're cyclists' official spokesperson (in r.a.d.)

Yeah, right.

Go spread your FUD in your garden, where it belongs.

--
Beware the fifth column.
Old May 20th 08, 07:24 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Bob writes:
On May 19, 11:05*pm, Brent P
wrote:
http://articles.citypages.com/2008-0.../moles-wanted/

Seems the old police and federal moles infiltrating groups and then
possibly starting violence is still alive and well.

That's one possibility. Another is that conspiracy theorists see
conspiracies everywhere.

Another possibility is that Brent simply wants to do his bit
to kybosh Critical Mass because it ****es him off, personally.

I don't completely agree with CM as a viable approach to
cyclists' gaining recognition and respect as entitled
street users, myself. I however do partially agree with it.

In fact I now support it even more, because it's threatened.

But whether or not one supports or doesn't support CM is
IMO best left a personal choice, unaffected by propaganda
x-posted from a car-driving NG to a bike-riding NG, with a
subject line and content obviously intended to scare people.

Actually I thought Brent was above such trollery.
I'm disappointed and rather saddened.

regards,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Old May 20th 08, 08:28 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
On 2008-05-20, Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Brent P writes:

http://articles.citypages.com/2008-0.../moles-wanted/

Seems the old police and federal moles infiltrating groups and then
possibly starting violence is still alive and well.

/Avoid/ Critical Mass?!
Hell, it seems like we've gotta rush to its aid!

It was a bit of humor, because there are all sorts of reasons to avoid
it that it didn't need government moles. Went over your head I
suppose.

Excuses -- Faah! Nischt gefloygen.

Humour, eh? Nobody's laffin'.

I propose Critical mass stop being assholes who run red signals and
generally make asses of themselves by ignoring even the most basic
rules of the roads, those rules that even allow bicyclists to use the
same road system as other bicyclists. Like I posted a few weeks ago or
so, I think it would be amusing to assert right of way (green signal)

ROW is always given; never taken.

while bicycling as these critical massholes are running the red.
Either their heads would asplode or they would just react with
violence.

Your own reaction sounds pretty violent, itself.

You're pretty mad at Critical Mass, aren't you?

But I ask you to bear these thoughts in mind:

wrt Critical Mass, we're talking about urban streets,
not the open road. It's a completely different environment.

Have you ever been a non-driver in a city, trying to get from
A to B, but can't because of the steady stream of commuters
transiting from their job in one suburb, to their home in another
suberb, and they're just blasting through your neighbourhood
and would knock you down like a bowling pin if you got in
their way? In /your/ own bailywick? Critical Mass is a
reaction against that selfishness. In its best incarnations,
it transcends selfishness, while reminding drivers they can
also transcend their own selfishness, and maybe cheer up
a little.

At its worst, Critical Mass is a mirror that reflects
the behaviours of selfish people back at themselves.

No wonder they get ****ed off. Too bad those selfish
people are too selfish to realize they're ****ing off
a bunch of other people too.

Brent, I think you're a good and decent guy.
shrug maybe a little too affected by car people,
but maybe that can be remedied.

The ****ed-offedness you experience once a month
by CM rides is the ****ed-offedness we non-drivers
experience ~daily~ as you drivers blithely steal our
ROWs, and cut us off from where we need to go.

But don't listen to me. I'm just full o' ****.

Thank you for being you.

cheers,
Tom

Old May 20th 08, 09:10 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

On May 20, 1:24*am, (Tom Keats) wrote:

I don't completely agree with CM as a viable approach to
cyclists' gaining recognition and respect as entitled
street users, myself. *I however do partially agree with it.

In fact I now support it even more, because it's threatened.

Tom-
Feel free to withold your support because there is no threat,
certainly none was documented in the link Brent provided. Not only was
C-M not mentioned in the alleged "news story" (I say alleged and
punctuate "news story" because it wasn't news, just the
unsubstantiated claims of a pseudonymous "source" accompanied some
thinly veiled editorializing by the writer and the predictable outrage
of a C-M attorney) but the *only* mention of bicycles in the "news"
portion appeared in the first sentence-
"Paul Carroll was riding his bike when his cell phone vibrated."
One has to wonder. Since the pseudonymous source did NOT say C-M was
one of the groups he was asked to mointor and report on, why did the
writer go to that C-M attorney for a quote? Could it be he knew the
attorney would be so predictably outraged? I smell a conspiracy. g
If you want to support the groups supposedly being threatened, send a
vegetarian dish to one of the unnamed "vegan potlucks" that *were*
mentioned. ;-)

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old May 20th 08, 10:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Bob writes:
On May 20, 1:24*am, (Tom Keats) wrote:

I don't completely agree with CM as a viable approach to
cyclists' gaining recognition and respect as entitled
street users, myself. *I however do partially agree with it.

In fact I now support it even more, because it's threatened.

Tom-
Feel free to withold your support because there is no threat,
certainly none was documented in the link Brent provided.

Brent and his ilk threatens cycling. He's shoving a drivers'
stilted viewpoint against C-M cyclists rights into our faces like
a cream pie and tarring (cream-pie-ing) us all with a wide
brush, and I don't like it one bit! He should phfff**** the
hell off, and smarten up.

Critical Mass is not an evil that will curve your spine, curdle
your sour cream, and keep the West from winning the "war" in
the Middle East.

CM might inconvenience drivers by a little bit
denying them the chance to inconvenience
non-drivers as they usually do, but so what?

So, he doesn't like monthly bicycle CM.

CM bike riders don't like daily car CM.

Conspiracy theories notwithstanding.

cheers,
Tom

Old May 20th 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc
Brent P

On 2008-05-20, Tom Keats wrote:

But whether or not one supports or doesn't support CM is
IMO best left a personal choice, unaffected by propaganda
x-posted from a car-driving NG to a bike-riding NG, with a
subject line and content obviously intended to scare people.

Subject line to scare people? You are grasping at straws. That's not a
scary subject line.

Actually I thought Brent was above such trollery.
I'm disappointed and rather saddened.

LOL. Now you're going to pretend to understand years worth of my posts
all of a sudden? At least you've exposed your own dishonesty now.