Front mounted baby carriers

Old March 14th 12, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Default Front mounted baby carriers

Does anyone have experience with the baby carriers that mount to the
bike between the rider and the handlebars? If so, can you comment on
handling & stability, knee clearance for the pedaler, ease or difficulty
of seating the child, ease of transport (by car), age or weight limits,
ease of attaching and detaching the carrier from the bike, fitting to
road bikes vs. other bike styles, and other practical information?

Please omit all warnings about bicycling being dangerous. What I'm
hoping for is information from personal experience with this specific
design.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 14th 12, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Ridesalot

On Mar 14, 11:34*am, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the baby carriers that mount to the
bike between the rider and the handlebars? *If so, can you comment on
handling & stability, knee clearance for the pedaler, ease or difficulty
of seating the child, ease of transport (by car), age or weight limits,
ease of attaching and detaching the carrier from the bike, fitting to
road bikes vs. other bike styles, and other practical information?

Please omit all warnings about bicycling being dangerous. *What I'm
hoping for is information from personal experience with this specific
design.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I never used one but have talked to people who have and they love
them. There appears to be none of the problems you asked about and a
big plus safety feature of this type of child carrier is that if you
should crash your armsdo a lot to protect the child. Another thing
that's great about these carriers is that the child does not have to
lean over to one side in order to see around the rider. That makes any
trip much more enjoyable for the child plus the rider can see what the
child is doing at all tmes.

Cheers.
Old March 14th 12, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
AMuzi

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the baby carriers that mount to the
bike between the rider and the handlebars? If so, can you comment on
handling & stability, knee clearance for the pedaler, ease or difficulty
of seating the child, ease of transport (by car), age or weight limits,
ease of attaching and detaching the carrier from the bike, fitting to
road bikes vs. other bike styles, and other practical information?

Please omit all warnings about bicycling being dangerous. What I'm
hoping for is information from personal experience with this specific
design.

Seem to work well in that I know a few couples who bought
these in Holland and liked them.

I have no idea whether this is useful or not:
http://totcycle.com/blog/all-about-f...ike-seats.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 14th 12, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 14-3-2012 16:34, Frank Krygowski schreef:
Does anyone have experience with the baby carriers that mount to the
bike between the rider and the handlebars? If so, can you comment on
handling & stability, knee clearance for the pedaler, ease or difficulty
of seating the child, ease of transport (by car), age or weight limits,
ease of attaching and detaching the carrier from the bike, fitting to
road bikes vs. other bike styles, and other practical information?

Please omit all warnings about bicycling being dangerous. What I'm
hoping for is information from personal experience with this specific
design.

That is the preferred way of carrying a young child here in the
Netherlands. Much more fun for child and (grand)parent. More interaction
with you child. Knee clearance can be a problem with short top tubes.
There are dedicated bikes just for that over here. For instance:

http://www.moederfiets.nl/default.asp?pid=-1201&fs=114&catid=1

Seating a child: no problem. It is easier IMO.
Age weight: I don't know 1-3?
Road bikes? Serious?

You worry too much
Lou
Old March 14th 12, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

Yep. My daughter and son-in-law have road bikes. (Well, she's got a
3-speed shopping bike, but would prefer fitting it to a road bike.)

You worry too much

?? I thought I worried less than most anybody posting here!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 14th 12, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the baby carriers that mount to the
bike between the rider and the handlebars? *If so, can you comment on
handling & stability, knee clearance for the pedaler, ease or difficulty
of seating the child, ease of transport (by car), age or weight limits,
ease of attaching and detaching the carrier from the bike, fitting to
road bikes vs. other bike styles, and other practical information?

Please omit all warnings about bicycling being dangerous. *What I'm
hoping for is information from personal experience with this specific
design.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Hey Frank.

I just searched Wee Ride on You Tube and there are a lot of videos
showing that seat in use. Here's one but the bike doesn't appear until
about 20 seconds into the 59 second video clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjLzz...eature=related

Hope the videos help.

Cheers
Old March 14th 12, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:
Does anyone have experience with the baby carriers that mount to the
bike between the rider and the handlebars? *If so, can you comment on
handling & stability, knee clearance for the pedaler, ease or difficulty
of seating the child, ease of transport (by car), age or weight limits,
ease of attaching and detaching the carrier from the bike, fitting to
road bikes vs. other bike styles, and other practical information?

Please omit all warnings about bicycling being dangerous. *What I'm
hoping for is information from personal experience with this specific
design.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sorry Frank.

Should type in WeeRide as one word.

Here's another video but with the seat on a hybrid bike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIbXF...endscreen&NR=1

Cheers
Old March 15th 12, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Dan O

On Mar 14, 2:32 pm, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

You ascribe "worry" to people who don't bury their heads in the sand -
even if they, themselves, are not worried in the least.

Old March 15th 12, 07:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Does anyone have experience with the baby carriers that mount to the
bike between the rider and the handlebars?

You're talking about duct tape, right? Gene was on a similar drift
about his suspicious white van recently.

Chalo
Old March 15th 12, 08:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Chalo wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Does anyone have experience with the baby carriers that mount to the
bike between the rider and the handlebars?

You're talking about duct tape, right? *Gene was on a similar drift
about his suspicious white van recently.

From the Brooklyn Chunkathlon 2003 "Baby Rescue" event:

http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/operatio.../furrygirl.jpg

Chalo

Tow ball mounted carriers Grumps UK 27 September 7th 08 09:30 AM
Rear Mounted Carriers marts UK 5 June 28th 05 01:30 PM
Rear Mounted Carriers Peter Taylor UK 0 June 24th 05 11:17 AM
Baby/Child Carriers Hugh Spicer UK 4 January 30th 05 09:33 PM
Roof Mounted Bike Carriers Simonb UK 3 December 17th 03 04:22 PM