Boogaali Frames

Old July 28th 19, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Boogaali Frames

Given the current recall debates, would you?

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-af...ainable-luxury

Look nice mind.
Old July 29th 19, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 10:12:42 AM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
Given the current recall debates, would you?

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-af...ainable-luxury

Look nice mind.

While bamboo is an extremely strong natural material I sure as hell wouldn't trust it as the major tubes on a full suspension MTB ridden as Americans do. Though I'm sure that they could be made to work well as a cross-country vehicle on bad terrain.
Old July 29th 19, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 08:43:40 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 10:12:42 AM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
Given the current recall debates, would you?

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-af...ainable-luxury

Look nice mind.

While bamboo is an extremely strong natural material I sure as hell wouldn't trust it as the major tubes on a full suspension MTB ridden as Americans do. Though I'm sure that they could be made to work well as a cross-country vehicle on bad terrain.

Living in a land where bamboo is very common I might comment that the
only use for bamboo seems to be to build things like garden trellises
and other non structural sort of things. Oh yes, it is also commonly
used for long pole handles for things like pruning hooks so you can
pull limbs off trees. Without some sort of protective coating bamboo
deteriorates and looses much of its strength in about a year.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 29th 19, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

What, no Thai Moon Project with a bamboo vehicle? Every
idiot 'knows' bamboo is 'very strong and light' and just
can't shut up abut it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 29th 19, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Well, it is light primarily because it is hollow :-) But I'm not sure
whether on a cubic inch basis it is a really light wood. Nope, I found
a table of wood densities and bamboo has a density of 19 - 25 lb/ft3
so it is light weight wood.

As for Thai Moon Projects - no reason. They just wait for the tourists
to arrive and than fleece them :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 29th 19, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

I've read that technically speaking bamboo is in the grass family.

From Wikipedia:
"The bamboos /bæmˈbuː/ (About this soundlisten) are evergreen perennial flowering plants in the subfamily Bambusoideae of the grass family Poaceae. The word "bamboo" comes from the Dutch or Portuguese languages, which probably borrowed it from Malay.
Bamboo
Huangshan bamboo.jpg
Bamboo forest at Huangshan, China
Scientific classification e
Kingdom:
Plantae
Clade:
Angiosperms
Clade:
Monocots
Clade:
Commelinids
Order:
Poales
Family:
Poaceae
Clade:
BOP clade
Subfamily:
Bambusoideae
Tribes

Arundinarieae
Bambuseae
Olyreae

Diversity[1]
1,462 (known species) species in 115 genera

Synonyms[2]

Olyroideae Pilg. (1956)
Parianoideae Butzin (1965)

In bamboo, as in other grasses, the internodal regions of the stem are usually hollow and the vascular bundles in the cross-section are scattered throughout the stem instead of in a cylindrical arrangement. The dicotyledonous woody xylem is also absent. The absence of secondary growth wood causes the stems of monocots, including the palms and large bamboos, to be columnar rather than tapering.[3]"

Cheers
Old July 29th 19, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

From Wikipedia:
"The bamboos /bm?bu?/ (About this soundlisten) are evergreen perennial flowering plants in the subfamily Bambusoideae of the grass family Poaceae. The word "bamboo" comes from the Dutch or Portuguese languages, which probably borrowed it from Malay.
[...]

All true and in the "rainy season" it grows amazingly quickly. Feet in
a day.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 29th 19, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

It depends on the quality of the bamboo and they way you preserve it. Though Slow Johnny tells us he doesn't see bamboo in structural use in Thailand, that just makes me wonder how reliable a witness he is, or whether some other economic factor is in play. I remember seeing bamboo used extensively as scaffolding in the Far East, and for quite tall buildings too; however, some of it looked pretty tatty, and I imagine they replaced bamboo "tubes" as necessary rather than preserving and maintaining them from the beginning. That left me with the abiding opinion that bamboo is an alternative structural material to steel only where labour is cheap.

I knew Frank Costin, the aerodynamicist and structural wood enthusiast. He helped me when I was designing and specifying a 68ft yacht, telling me to build it into a smooth shape by moulding up squares of veneer rather than trying to steam and bend "planks" of nautical plywood, or using glass-reinforced plastic with the untrained labour I had. I never discussed bamboo with him, but he was very keen on laminated wood, and big bamboo is cheap and easily worked for lamination, and long-lasting in properly laminated form -- check the breadboards in your kitchen. Note the word "big" in the previous sentence: I'm not talking about little immatute bamboos, which have a ridge every few inches, I'm talking about bamboos 40ft high and taller, solid mature stuff from which you can cut good runs of decent wood. When I made my geribike experiment after I took up cycling, I looked at bamboo for the frame but the locally available bamboo wasn't even up to rough scaffolding quality, never mind trusting my life to on some of the fast downhill rides here, though it weathers well. Instead I used laminated pine, and most of that came precurved from a trashed Swedish leather and wood settle. It's smart not to let your wife discover you broke up your study and studio furniture to build bikes until it is done. Here's a rustic sketchbook cover I made with some of the leather
http://coolmainpress.com/andrepainti...bookcover.html
and here are some progressively fancier sketchbook covers
http://www.coolmainpress.com/miscima...overs_2013.jpg

Andre Jute
Interest. Versatile.
Old July 30th 19, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 10:12:42 AM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
Given the current recall debates, would you?

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-af...ainable-luxury

Look nice mind.

Is everyone already familiar with the bamboo frames made by Calfee?
They look pretty good and seem strong. Out Watsonville way.

https://calfeedesign.com/bamboo/

pH in Aptos
Old July 30th 19, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 30/7/19 2:05 am, John B. wrote:

Living in a land where bamboo is very common I might comment that
the only use for bamboo seems to be to build things like garden
trellises and other non structural sort of things. Oh yes, it is also
commonly used for long pole handles for things like pruning hooks so
you can pull limbs off trees. Without some sort of protective coating
bamboo deteriorates and looses much of its strength in about a
year.

I suspect most natural carbon fibre materials deteriorate if left
exposed to the elements.

The now abandoned Renovo bikes also produced a bicycle frame made from
bamboo, though theirs was laminated.

https://newatlas.com/renovo-hardwood...d-looks/12589/

--
JS

Frames for dx skilewis74 Unicycling 0 August 3rd 08 08:32 PM
FS-Pro M frames Jessica Cann Marketplace 0 January 16th 05 01:35 PM
28" Frames oxfordrider Unicycling 8 August 21st 04 11:17 PM
Frames Matt Ellman Mountain Biking 4 December 30th 03 04:50 PM
Qu-Ax frames one wheeled stallion Unicycling 7 November 27th 03 09:46 PM