Bike lanes and ****

Old February 26th 05, 11:19 AM
Rainbow Warrior

Default Bike lanes and ****

"Resound" wrote in message

"Scotty" wrote in message
How about teh ******s that do burnouts knackering the bitumen left right

and
centre, why should they pay less than my 4x4? I chew up dirt not

bitumen,
should also be eligable for a rebate due to off road useage then

eh!.Every
km done offroad get $$$ Back.

Sounds reasonable until you realise that vehicle damage to roads functions
as a cube of the axle loading. For the same milage, it takes about 15,625
cyclists (assuming average weight of 100kg) to do the same damage as one
2,500kg 4WD. I do about 8,000-10,000km per year on the bike. What's your
mileage per year? Then again, dirt roads need more frequent repair for a
given amount of traffic than bitumen, so we'd probably need to charge you
extra. Let's say we're nice and don't slap you with a surcharge for dirt
road damage or greater mileage. If bikes pay $0.05 per annum, that makes
your rego bill $781.25 plus TAC premium. That's assuming that your 4WD

with
you in it weighs 2500kg. Most of the large ones weigh more than 2,600kg.
Without fuel. Or driver. Let's be conservative and call it 2,750kg GVM.

Rego
at that weight comes to $1,039.84 plus TAC premium. Actually, this is
sounding more and more reasonable all the time...

You forgot to add in the km travelled bit, there are cyclists who do more km
per year than my 4x4.

Old February 26th 05, 11:20 AM
Rainbow Warrior

"Ray Peace" wrote in message
Rainbow Warrior wrote:
"Albm&ctd" wrote in message

I lied about the **** but I've noticed a lot of roads being changed in
their lane marking for pushbikes lately. Some of these roads have been
recently resurfaced, then the new marked lines ground out to
accomodate a bike lane. What I find a bit disturbing in this is that
all this money to do this can't be coming from pushbike use, instead
it would come from registered road users... I imagine so correct me if
I'm wrong.
As I also ride a motorcycle as well as 4 wheeled transport, I see no
improved infrastructure for motorcycles (such as a lower rail on steel
barriers to avoid contact with the posts etc) despite paying almost as
much for it's registration and insurance as the 4 wheeled transport.
Considering pushbikes pay **** all in this regard, why is so much
money being spent, even at the inconvenience of all registered
transport, for example a two laned road reduced to one lane to
accomodate a bike lane. I'm not anti-pushbike at all but what I do see
is some of this new work being rarely used by pushbikes and in one
case the bike lane ends between two lanes of traffic so who could
blame them.
The other problem with pushies is roundabouts, the bike lane ends, the
pushie is going around the outside of traffic, someone turns off
legally in a car... crunch.
If pushies are demanding more of the road and costing us all then when
are they going to contribute with a fee (rego or other) for road use?

Al (BM&CTD)

If we worked it out fairly by km traveled you would find the average
cyclists rego not worth the trouble to collect.

If I have to pay $100 a year to do 100km, then car drivers should pay

$100
per km. Because they cause 100 times more expense in road works than
pushbikes easily.

What could be fairer than that?

Greetings,
Agree. Cars **** up the roads, **** up the environment, and
and frequently driven by ****wits as well. Large trucks are even
worse offenders on two and sometimes all three counts. Cyclists do
no damage, cause very little pollution, and are generally no worse
at disobeying road laws than the other morons out there.
If you are going to register bikes, where do you draw the line?
Does my six year old niece have to pay registration? You would be
laughed out of the next election on that one.
If you adopt the user pays principle, motorists should pay more
than they do now, SUV (Stupendously Useless & Vacuous) idiots even
more, and truck lines most of all. Cyclists should be paid a
rebate as we are doing the rest of you a favour.
R.

Yeah I hate Sports Utilities too, 4x4's are Ok though.

Old February 26th 05, 11:21 AM
Rainbow Warrior

"Uncle Bully" wrote in message

If you adopt the user pays principle, motorists should pay more than

they
do now,

Based on what logic?

Cars do more average km per annum and require wider lanes.

Old February 26th 05, 09:58 PM
Rainbow Warrior

"Peter Signorini" wrote in message

"Rainbow Warrior" wrote in message

Hey, it's not like a critical mass thread or anything.
Don't like it, don't read it.

No, I quite like to read it, but the mind-numbing crap from folks on
aus.cars is intolerable

And touche! After all that I cross-posted....d'oh!! Try do do it better

this
time.

Cheers
Peter

Ok

Old February 27th 05, 11:24 AM
Albm&ctd

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 21:20:31 +1000, "Rainbow Warrior"
wrote:

Yeah I hate Sports Utilities too, 4x4's are Ok though.

Yeah, utes are hopeless at cricket.

Al

I don't take sides. It's more fun to insult everyone.
http://kwakakid.cjb.net/insult.html