Unicycle Skyline Drive - Shenandoah National Park, VA

Old October 17th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

Default Unicycle Skyline Drive - Shenandoah National Park, VA

Thought I would make a post to see if there would be any interest or
future interest in this ride:

I think it would be cool to complete the skyline drive on a unicycle
(shenandoah national park, VA). I have always wanted to do this, but
never got around to it. Skyline Drive is a 105 mile road that goes
through shenandoah and it is curvy and has rolling hills (probably a
lot like nova scotia will have).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyline_Drive

Four options for skyline drive a
1) completing the 105 miles in one day (this would be very very tough
considering the elevation profile)
2) bringing a backpack and packing a lightweight sleeping bag and bivvy
sack and doing about 60 miles the first day and then sleeping in a 3
walled wooden shelter that are found in the park.
3) cheating and having my sister act as a support driver so we wouldn't
have to carry a sleeping bag or food during the ride.(probably the
safest bet) This way, we would still camp out in between riding days.
4) same as #3 but maybe staying in a motel or lodge somewhere halfway.

#2 or #3 would definitely make for a fun adventure, and I could
probably get a friend or two to join on a bike.

My sister just moved out down to Fishersville VA which is close to
Shenandoah, and another unicyclist, Phil(PDC) lives out near some part
of the park as well. My guess is that I could stir up some interest in
the ride and make it happen. The sooner the better since it is getting
colder outside.

The plan would be to go in on the North entrance and come out the South
entrance on Skyline Drive. I would probably drive down from the DC
area and park somewhere by the north entrance, and then have my sister
or someone else pick us up at the south end of the park.

Anyway, this is all tentative(I am sort of just looking into it now),
but it would definitely be fun and good training for Ride The Lobster.
I would need some time to plan and look into where on the map the free
shelters and the lodges are and some time to secure my sister as
support.

Possible unicyclists that I can think of that might be interested(let
me know):
me, Nick (MD), Frank from Richmond, Phil from central VA, and maybe
other riders(PA, NC, etc) if I get interest.

other riders:
possibly my friend on a bike.

support:
my sister

I am going to look into this, and see what weekend would work best. It
would probably be too short notice to have people come down this
weekend, so possible weekends would be: oct 27th-28th, Nov 3rd-4th, Nov
10th-11th, or ...later? The weather is perfect right now so the sooner
the better. Also, things to consider...if instead of riding on
sat/sun, we did fri/sat or sun/mon, there would be a lot less traffic
to deal with on the ride, this is harder to do though since people
would have to take off work.

For those that are interested:

What weekend would work best for you, and what option would you prefer?
Also, could you take off a Friday or Monday sometime (to cut down on
traffic on Skyline Drive).

Also: If you are interested, but don't think you will be able to
complete the full distance let me know as well. Things might be able
to be worked out to accommodate this.

[image:
http://www.terragalleria.com/images/...shen6992.jpeg]
[image:
http://www.terragalleria.com/images/...shen6925.jpeg]
[image:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Pinnacles.jpg]

--
siafirede

James = my name
'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace

Pump Air Not Gas
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 17th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

Another link I found with mile by mile info/pics:
http://tinyurl.com/368mhp

Old October 17th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
U-Turn

I've driven that; it's a nice drive.

You might not need a bivy if you are doing the lean-tos. I don't know
what's available (the AT goes through there too).

You should easily be able to keep your pack weight way down. You could
bring no-cook food. I vote for #2!

--
U-Turn

-- Dave Stockton
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 19th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hell-on-wheel

If I can make one of those weekends work, then I'm definitely down for
it. I've been taking the coker to work lately, just a 7 mile round
trip, but it's a pretty hilly commute. When I did the C&O towpath, I
wrapped a little one person tent around my sleeping bag and strapped it
under the seat, some pictures 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/32n6o8).
Once you got used to the weight distribution, it wasn't much of a
burden. Course, the C&O was flat, so that probably made a difference.
But if your sister is willing to be support, that would be cool. #2 or
#3 is fine with me.

Unless I ask off, I just get two random days off each week (not
necessarily the weekend), so it doesn't really matter what particular
days I ride, but the first week in November would work best so I can
give enough notice.

--
hell-on-wheel

"...or the confluence of rare meteorological phenomena."
-George Peck
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 19th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SqueakyOnion

I go to college in Texas, but I'll be coming home to PA in in early
December. If you don't get the trip together until then, I'm definitely
in. The cold doesn't bother me

It's too bad I'm not still at Shenandoah University in Winchester.
Woulda been perfect.

--
SqueakyOnion

I put the *emo* in h*emo*globin.
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 19th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rem48

I would like to join in (am in NC) but too short of a notice. Can you
take a uni on the AT?

--
rem48
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 19th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hell-on-wheel

Nope, except for a very short section around Harper's Ferry, WV, cycles
aren't allowed on the AT, and probably for the better.

#3 is fine with me.

Unless I ask off, I just get two random days off each week (not
necessarily the weekend), so it doesn't really matter what particular
days I ride, but the first week in November would work best so I can
give enough notice.

Cool, yeah that first week in November could work. I can probably take
off a Friday or a Monday depending on how much work I have, but
otherwise I am free on Sat and Sun for sure. I will wait and see if
anyone else would be interested and what their schedules are like, then
I will finalize the days with my sister and friends (if they want to
bike with us).

Yeah, a lightweight sleeping bag shouldn't be too heavy, and if we stay
in the basic shelters for free we wouldn't need a tent. They also have
fire pits there so we can have a fire at night.

Old October 20th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
spokes

Don't forget to stop off at the Luray Caverns. Cool place to visit.

--
spokes
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 20th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sutton629

Rem48....
i live in nc also and would love to ride part of the parkway. I live in
boone and would be more than happy to make a ride here in nc if we can
get enough people.

--
sutton629

If at first you don't succeed... maybe skydiving isn't your sport
http://www.usenet.com