Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

Old February 21st 04, 05:39 AM
Dave W

Default Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

(JD) had this to say
om

Why the hell would anyone want to travel to Florida for mountain
biking, or even surfing for that matter? Maybe if dodging geriatric
drivers and laughing at snowbird yankees was a sport it would at least
draw in the curious.

hehehe, you've obviously never been to FLA during spring break, or Speed
Weeks in Daytona, or Bike week in Daytona.

Old February 21st 04, 06:03 AM
G.T.

Dan Volker wrote:

Skill without concern for fitness is more like Trials riding. And you have
every right to like this.
I care more about speed over Tsali type trails--and I have a right to like
this.

You still don't get it. It's about riding. Riding buttery smooth trails,
riding cobblestones, riding slippery roots, riding steep ****, riding flat
****, riding long climbs, riding short climbs, going fast, going slow,
riding between trees, riding where there are no trees, riding sand, riding
narrow trails, riding pure rock, riding snow, riding every imagineable
combination of terrain out there.

And there are plenty of SSers who ride everything with just as much fun and
speed and lack of speed as the rest of us.

Greg

Old February 21st 04, 06:58 AM
JD

"Dan Volker" wrote in message ...
snip for the most glaring lameness
I don't think its such a bad thing to take what you learn in each sport, and apply it to others where it will help.

All of that and you still don't get singlespeeding. That's hilarious!

I guess you never watched matched sprints in the Olympics.

I ride my mountain bike during the Olympics instead of watching
television.

Durring this explosive sprint, you are often swerving sharply to left or
right, in an attempt to pass. There are some similarities to getting up a
steep hill on a mountain bike, while negotiating obstacles

No, there aren't. Riding a mountain bike on a singletrack is riding a
mountain bike on a singletrack. Riding a track bike on a smooth track
in a controlled environment is not mountain biking.

Skill without concern for fitness is more like Trials riding.

That is by far, the most ludicrous statement you have made so far.
Successful trials riders are supremely fit.

Keep digging that hole, it's a riot.

JD
Old February 21st 04, 07:00 AM
JD

"Penny S" wrote in message ...
I guess it comes down to some of us have ridden with these single speeders,
and you'll just have to take our word for it. Tough, eh?

He's kinda like our old pal barry bargain. Thick, eh?

JD
Old February 21st 04, 11:39 AM
Dan Volker

"Stephen Baker" wrote in message
Dan V says:

What I'd like to know, is why I should be takig the word of a bunch of NG
posters on ss bike exploits, over many years of what I have seen.

I thought you'd only been mountain biking for a few months. Or did I miss
something here?

Steve

Steve,
I've been getting back into shape for a few months----last 6 years involved
too much computer work.

Prior to that, I was doing "a lot" of mountain biking. A lot of my
friends still race, and I've been going on what you could call, "collective
experience".

So far this idea that someone on a SS rigid bike can smoke the hard tail
riders with gears, sounds like an 'Urban Legend", the kind of thing that
spreads well on a NG, because no one ever has to back up ANYTHING they say
in real life.

Even though Florida is not my idea of good mountain biking, you'd think if
ss bikers were so impressive, you'd see at least a few here....
Regards,
Dan V

Old February 21st 04, 11:49 AM
Dan Volker

"JD" wrote in message
om...
"Dan Volker" wrote in message

Skill without concern for fitness is more like Trials riding.

That is by far, the most ludicrous statement you have made so far.
Successful trials riders are supremely fit.

Keep digging that hole, it's a riot.

JD

There are plenty of trials riders here that just jump around on their
obstacles each day, and do no real high speed riding---they have no real
aerobic bases, no sprint, and while they can out ride some one of "average"
fitness, they have no shot at beating the guys that train for racing.

And I know you don't get racing. And I don't get it when somebody wants to
jump off a ramp for 2 hours, never actually riding the trail.
Dan V

Old February 21st 04, 01:34 PM
Gman

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:38:09 -0500, Dan Volker wrote:

I would love to see first hand, a guy on a SS bike, able to do what you guys
are so certain they can do, on the South Florida trails. If that happened,
and the SS guy really was able to ride with the fast guys here, I would
immediately change my opinions---but it would be based on known facts, not
just boasts on a NewsGroup.

Dan, you're killin' me.

You're like my daughter...if she can't see me,
then I must not be able to see her.

My bud in AZ won the Sport multispeed class on his
SS. It happens.

Am I faster on my geared bike? Sometimes, depends
on the trail...but in all reality, doesn't matter
a great deal. I like to ride bikes, I have
different bikes, and I ride them...that's about
it.

Gman
Old February 21st 04, 03:56 PM
Penny S

Dan Volker retorted :

So far this idea that someone on a SS rigid bike can smoke the hard
tail riders with gears, sounds like an 'Urban Legend", the kind of
thing that spreads well on a NG, because no one ever has to back up
ANYTHING they say in real life.

this is getting really good.

urban legend? I thought they spread by email.

penny s

Old February 21st 04, 04:02 PM
G.T.

"Dan Volker" wrote in message
. ..

So far this idea that someone on a SS rigid bike can smoke the hard tail
riders with gears, sounds like an 'Urban Legend", the kind of thing that
spreads well on a NG, because no one ever has to back up ANYTHING they

say
in real life.

Oh, please stop, you're killing me. You have NO IDEA about the real life of
the posters to this newsgroup.

Greg

Old February 21st 04, 05:48 PM
JD

"Dan Volker" got the backhoe out to beging
real digging:
"JD" wrote in message
om...
"Dan Volker" wrote in message

Skill without concern for fitness is more like Trials riding.

That is by far, the most ludicrous statement you have made so far.
Successful trials riders are supremely fit.

Keep digging that hole, it's a riot.

JD

There are plenty of trials riders here that just jump around on their
obstacles each day, and do no real high speed riding---they have no real
aerobic bases, no sprint, and while they can out ride some one of "average"
fitness, they have no shot at beating the guys that train for racing.

Again, racing doesn't mean jack. When are you going to realize that
there is a huge world outside of your pathetically small one? Florida
must be an even more pathetic excuse in reference to mountain biking
than I originally thought, if all you say about the riding and riders
there is true.

And I know you don't get racing. And I don't get it when somebody wants to
jump off a ramp for 2 hours, never actually riding the trail.

So now you're telling me what I do get and don't get. Priceless.

JD