Rail riding -- "East Cliff" in Santa Cruz, CA

Old June 14th 05, 07:33 PM
corbin

Default Rail riding -- "East Cliff" in Santa Cruz, CA

Hi All,
here are some pics of me riding a railing on East Cliff drive in Santa
Cruz:

http://tinyurl.com/auwk8

Louise took them. It is along a cliff by the ocean, with a pretty long
drop off down to the rocks below, but there is a good four or so feet
before the cliff, so I felt pretty safe riding it.

There are also some pictures of my new Coker wheel. It has a Unicyle.com
(UDC) extra-wide hub, with an airfoil rim, and an Adelman wheel build
(although, I did peek over his shoulder and do a tiny bit of help. I
just finished putting it together last night and did a tiny bit of
riding on it in the dark; it is very slick, and light!!

--corbin

--
corbin - Treehouse Muni Rider

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
corbin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7561

Old June 14th 05, 10:03 PM
fcwegnm0b

Nice! Can you freemount on that or did you have to use the tree? I don't
consider that rail riding exactly... more like just skinny riding. Hard,
but nothing like rail riding.

That Coker looks awesome. I'd love to have something like that. What did
it cost you?

Dave

--
fcwegnm0b - HammerTron

"You wanna go to Denny's"

"...Ahh, I'm already there....."
fcwegnm0b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8357

Old June 14th 05, 10:22 PM
corbin

fcwegnm0b wrote:
*Nice! Can you freemount on that or did you have to use the tree? I
don't consider that rail riding exactly... more like just skinny
riding. Hard, but nothing like rail riding.

That Coker looks awesome. I'd love to have something like that. What
did it cost you?

Dave *

Yeah, you are right, it isn't at all one of the round railings, which
are much more difficult (I can't really do those). I can freemount on
it; it is one of the things i learned the past few months (which I have
tips for anyone else who is learning).

My Coker: I bought a stock coker 3 or so months ago. Then I bought a UDC
hub, airfoil rim, and the stainless steel spokes. I got everything
except the spokes from Unicycle.com; the spokes, Ken Adelman ordered for
me. Just check the site for prices on everything and add it up; that's
what I spent!

--corbin

Old June 14th 05, 11:02 PM
vivalargo

Looing good, Corbin. I PMed you.

Later,

JL

--
vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

Old June 14th 05, 11:19 PM
mscalisi

Awesome pics Corbin!

--
mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

Old June 15th 05, 04:36 AM
andrew_carter

corbin wrote:
*it is one of the things i learned the past few months (which I have
tips for anyone else who is learning).*

Nice photos, that looks like a really fun skinny. The corners are fun
hey! If you wouldn't mind it would be nice to add your suggestions of
how to learn the skill to www.unicycle.2ya.com .

Cheers,
Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Learning to unicycle...

*http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
*'my big movies' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/bigmovies)*

Old June 15th 05, 06:10 AM
tomblackwood

corbin wrote:
*here are some pics of me riding a railing on East Cliff drive in
Santa Cruz:*

And also some photos of other stuff. Your gallery didn't say when you
were up in Seattle, but if you happen up here again on biz (or for
plez), you should let the Seattle Area Riders know either via a thread
or by PM-ing one of us that's active in RSU (me, john_childs, Harper,
Unibrier, Iunicycle). There's lots of good riding up here, trials,
muni, and distance, and between the group we have some spare equipment
as well. It would be fun to hit some of the local spots with you.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

"By George! The man's a genius!"
Murde Mental

Old June 15th 05, 04:31 PM
corbin

tomblackwood wrote:
*And also some photos of other stuff. Your gallery didn't say when
you were up in Seattle, *

I definitely will! Those photos are from 3 or 4 years ago (which is
about 2 or 3 years before I started uni'ing).

Andrew: here are my tips for skinny riding. They may seem "obvious" at
first, but each item was something I had to practice on. Most my
pictures are at: http://www.corbinstreehouse.com/pictures.html

1. Learn to mount without your hands on the unicycle. Keep your hands
out to the side and use them for balance. I heard that if you have them
high (as in, above your shoulder) that sometimes helps people, but for
me, it doesn't seem to matter too much.

2. When doing normal mounts (using #1), watch your tire -- make sure it
doesn't move. This was key for me to practise. Everytime you mount,
mount and make sure the tire doesn't move left/right. Then, begin riding
straight ahead.

3. Mount with your dominate foot back. I hop right foot back, but would
frequently mount left foot back. Once I always started mounting right
foot back (my dominant), i got better.

--corbin

Old June 15th 05, 05:14 PM
harper

Cool rail ride.

It's interesting that the photo of Louise has more views than any of
your unicycling photos.

--
harper - TANKED at GASWORKS

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"My world view has come crashing down like a drunk clown on a giraffe,
riding through a cactus patch..." -evil-nick on "Entry of the
Gladiators"

Old June 15th 05, 06:57 PM
corbin

harper wrote:
*
It's interesting that the photo of Louise has more views than any of
your unicycling photos. *

I was noticing that too! I guess she's popular. I'll take some pictures
of her on her muni, post them, and see how many people click on her. I'm
sure she'd be willing to do some "betty girls" poses.

-corbin

--
corbin - Treehouse Muni Rider

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
corbin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7561

Strawberry Fields Forever Ride -- Santa Cruz, CA corbin Unicycling 2 April 21st 05 04:57 PM
Riding on abandoned rail road tracks Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 10 June 22nd 04 04:44 PM
Woman to Row to Santa Cruz for the NBG Cycle America General 6 June 8th 04 04:16 PM
Santa Cruz Casualty Tom Kunich General 1 January 24th 04 06:55 PM
Outrigger for Rail Road Riding BretCahill Techniques 48 November 10th 03 04:04 AM