2003 Convention Highlights

Old August 6th 03, 05:35 PM
sendhair

Default 2003 Convention Highlights

rhysling wrote:
*
And the Coupe-de-Grass: asking random people what they thought Jagur
was doing at that moment, then kicking back the head for a hardy bout
of group-evil-laughter.

-Christopher *

that's so -*mean*-!

so... are you going to give us a sampling of their answers, or not???

--
sendhair - Human Fly bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/al..._eye_ball.gif] am
the [image: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/al...bun00/aac.gif] in
the ointment.
sendhair's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1019

Old August 6th 03, 06:43 PM
Max_Dingemans

mines gotta be a combo of downhill glide, harper tattoos, and the
people.

--
Max_Dingemans - Combat Wombat

"And when the sky darkens and the prospect is war
Who's given the gun and then pushed to the fore
And expected to die for the land of our birth
Though we've never owned one lousy handful of earth"
Max_Dingemans's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1981

Old August 8th 03, 12:34 AM
johnfoss

This thread should not have fallen to page 2 yet. Here are mine, in no
order:

- Shortest and most organized USA annual meeting I've ever heard of

- Bruce Crevier basketball spinning and unicycle show

- Two great fun MUni rides, including *rolling* all the obstacles on the
double-diamond section of Friday's trail (thanks Dustin and Max!)

- Bedford fun and games. Thanks Darren for seemingly filling every gap
in the convention schedule with stuff that was equally fun!

- Seeing the return of people from years-gone-by, like Len Salverda,
Carol Bricker (formerly Carol Bahorich), Bill Karbo and others

- Riding a B.C. wheel in a parade (thanks Ryan for the loaner)

- Riding in a "real" parade again with a whole convention-load of
unicyclists (though we still probably didn't outnumber the Shriners)

- Being interviewed in a MUni race, by the guy from the St. Paul Pioneer
Press, who followed me part of the way on a bike

- Managing 20.99 seconds on the Obstacle Course; it's so much better
than 21.01!

- "Team John" being the only ones to complete every challenge on the
Orienteering course (with John Childs, and part of the way with John
Hooten)

- Playing "Geezer" basketball. Most of the Geezer team were riders over
40.

- Besting everybody except two Norway riders in the 10k

- Unicycle bowling; it worked! (labeled as a Bedford event, but I
thought it up)

- Trying again to ride the big Chinese monocycle

- Being a judge for Open-X and Individual Freestyle Expert

- *NOT* being in charge of too many other things, allowing me to relax
and remember why these conventions are so much fun!

- Stuff happening on time; weather cooperating; bug repellent working;
people having a blast

- Final party in a real nice room, with just the top awards presented
and plenty of time left over to eat and visit

- Sunburn and sore legs. Not exactly highlights, but it wouldn't be a
proper unicycle convention without those...

- Telling a group of young Redford riders about the riders that used to
be in their club, like Carol and me

- The last-minute idea to go to Keyes Park for our "hill" races. The
terrain wasn't real rough, but the events, weather, and everything else
worked out beautifully

Where's the heck is the "Thank you" thread??? I'll start one now.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

Old August 8th 03, 01:04 AM
john_childs

rhysling wrote:
*
San: Watching John Childs take down children while -trying- to recover
his hat. Boy, that guy can tackle a 7 year old from the saddle
better than anybody. Fearless.
*

No actual children were harmed during the retrieval of my hat.
And I did manage to get my hat back.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old August 8th 03, 06:21 AM
Max_Dingemans

I do have to say though, it was really hard to find an elevator in the
final party building. it took me into another building, up some stairs
and back to find it.

--
Max_Dingemans - Hey Look, who's that?

Old August 9th 03, 02:34 AM
John Hooten

Carol McLean wrote:

Hi.

Thought I'd start a thread about NAUCC highlights. Please join in.

Ryan Woessner doing seat in back wheel walk (smiley walk) in the expert
freestyle, and then doing it halfway across the basketball court in the
Bedford best trick contest to prove that he can do it as long as he wants.

Unicycle bowling and the Bedford Mass Start Downhill at the Muni Uphill and
Downhill .

Max Dingeman attempting the uphill race in his wheelchair (backward,
balanced on the two big wheels of course). And, Max doing the Bedford Mass
Start Downhill in his wheelchair (the first part at least in his
wheelchair.)

Flaming Puck Hockey took place twice and was great (as usual), but the
highlight for me was watching Jacinto Castillo riding with a flaming Monty
wheel. La rueda de Jacinto en Fuego.

Watching Jack Hughes at the start of Expert 400 Meter final getting the
fans cheering and then missing the start of the race: "When I say ham you
say sandwich. Ham!" (Sandwich!) "Ham!" (Bang!).. " Oh, _ _ _ _!"

Max in the coasting race.

The whole event was great fun. The unexpected, unscheduled events were
icing on the cake.

John Hooten

Old August 9th 03, 05:18 AM
harper

1.) Seeing Dustin Kelm walk. And then ride MUni. The downside being me
walking alot of the MUni ride while he was way ahead. The bigger
downside was seeing Max not walk.

2.) Seeing John Childs buy an ultimate wheel, learn to ride it in an
hour, enter the UW race, and complete it.

3.) Seeing people I met last year and on trips and picking up as if only
a moment had past. Jerry Gruss, the Drummonds, Carol McLean and her cool
daughter, Kelsey, Chris LeFay, and Lewis Beard come to mind.

4.) Meeting new people, GREAT new people. John Hooten, Tommy Thompson,
Suzi Ramos, and Mark Stephens top a seemingly endless list.

5.) Being schooled by Carol McLean in the bumper cars at Mall of
America.

6.) Seeing Bill Gilbertson excel in multiple events (some of which he
took from me) in spite of his incredible household disaster.

7.) Seeing middle aged mommies learning to unicycle in the gym.

8.) Watching Alan Tepper enter and finish a race.

9.) Doing things I'd never done before on the trials course.

10.) All things Darren Bedford, including la rueda de Jacinto en Fuego

oh, the edit:

Walking into a gym and seeing a tatoo of my own image applied to various
parts of the bodies of otherwise rational people and finding out that
only 1000 of them were printed. Cheapskate LeFay.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"Are you OK???" - Just about anyone I've ever ridden with

Old August 11th 03, 02:43 AM
Carol McLean

I'm glad people are including important highlights that I failed to
mention, such as the outstanding progress made by unicyclist Alan Tepper
this past year! Very cool.

And, of course the temporary tattoo image of one Greg Harper, generously
provided by Christopher. Wow. Somehow, I ended up with a lifetime
supply of these -- actually several lifetime supplies since one could be
considered enough for any sane person in any one lifetime.

I have plans to retire on the income I make selling these fine works of
art. Please contact me immediately to get yours -- the price will be
going up steadily as the demand increases.

So many highlights. Of course it was personally gratifying that I ruled
during the bumper car battle at the Mall of America. As we waited in
line, poor Greg Harper got so nervous, I had to offer to ride with him,
instead of blasting him out of his bumper car. I was worried that he
would burst into tears if he wasn't allowed to drive, so I graciously
turned the wheel over to him. We then proceeded to plummet the innocent
and unsuspecting Drummond family. And, yes, I have photographic proof of
all of this, too.

But, if anyone asks, just say that Greg Harper WON the Great Mall of
America Bumper Car Battle. The male ego is so very fragile.

Thanks.

Carol
Minnesota

--