Burley Samba Tandem FS, Early Version, Great Condition

Old July 6th 05, 03:18 PM
richbiker

Default Burley Samba Tandem FS, Early Version, Great Condition

I have a very early model Burley Samba for sale, located in New York
City

This is probably a 1990 model, with an open frame (no lateral tube),
and one piece seatstay-chainstay assembly. The downtube and boom tube
are one piece, and the top tube is ovalized. The frame is on the
large side, I think a 23 / 21 (maybe 19 in the rear). I'm 5'8" with 32
inseam, and the standover was a tad large for me.

This tandem is pretty low mileage for it's age--I'm estimating 3000
miles or less (the computer has had its batteries replaced at least
once, and got reset accidentally when dropped, so I lost track of
mileage). This tandem is in EXCELLENT condition. The light blue
paint is in near perfect condition. It has the attractive old-school
Burley decals. The bike has always been stored indoors, and maintained
regularly by a competent mechanic (me).

Components:
21 speed Suntour index shifting work flawlessly. I upgraded the front
derailleur to a Suntour XC Comp, and upgraded to Suntour Bar-end
shifters. It has Sakae SX cranks with a 52-42-26 (I think--I'll double
check if anyone wants to know for sure). Brakes are DiaCompe aero
brake levers mated to DiaCompe cantis, which work well and are easy to
adjust. It has a Sakae anatomic road bar in front, and bullhorn bars
for the stoker. It has 36 spoke wheels, with ??? hubs mated to single
wall Weinman rims. The rear freewheel hub has a solid axle, and is
double threaded for a drum brake (there is no drum brake with this
bike). The rubber is pretty new, panaracer slicks, I think. The
wheels have never given me a moment of trouble, but they have received
pretty light use. I have good quality parts to convert this tandem to
a mountain bike handlebar if the buyer would prefer that.

The tandem comes with 4 specialized composite water bottle cages, and a
bomb-proof Blackburn Expedition SX rack (silver).

This tandem is a good quality entry level bike, a good family tandem.
It can be used for casual rides, centuries, charity rides, or light
touring.

I'm asking $500 OBO, and would prefer a buyer in the northeast, but
will ship anywhere in the USA at your expense.
Any questions please contact me off list. (I can provide more exact
info about the frame size, tires, Japanese hubs, chainrings, freewheel
size, and other assorted details that I don't have with me at the
moment). I'm working on a picture, if any prospective buyers would like
to see one.

Rich