high pressure tube fittings?

Old December 6th 04, 06:28 AM
Kim Hawtin

Default high pressure tube fittings?

hi guys,

i've picked up some second hand rims and tyres for my roadie
and they come with a different fitting than i'm used to.

theres a small locking 'nut' which locks the valve in..
but my 'standard' bike pump i use for my MTB is larger etc.

what am i looking at here? previous owner said they were
'high pressure fittings'... tires indicate to fill too 100psi

the wheels and tires are wonderfully light, as opposed to old steel ones

am i likely to be able to get tubes in the standard fitting,
same as on my MTB?

cheers,

kim
Old December 6th 04, 06:42 AM
hippy

"Kim Hawtin" kim@ratbag wrote in message
news
theres a small locking 'nut' which locks the valve in..
but my 'standard' bike pump i use for my MTB is larger etc.

They are "presta" valves or "french" valves.
See "Presta" he http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p-q.html

See if you pump has a fitting for them. Most pumps have a
swapable head on them. They are very common on road
bikes and higher end mtb's.

hippy

Old December 6th 04, 06:47 AM
suzyj

Kim Hawtin wrote:

what am i looking at here? previous owner said they were
'high pressure fittings'... tires indicate to fill too 100psi

They're Presta valves. They're bog-standard on narrow-tyred bikes.

am i likely to be able to get tubes in the standard fitting,
same as on my MTB?

No. The diameter of the stem is narrower than that of a Schraede
valve (car-valve), so a Schraeder valve won't fit in the rim.

Many pumps are able to pump up either sort. Usually there's a piece o
plastic in the pump-head which can be reversed to fit either valve. Yo
can also get a little brass adapter from the bike shop, which will allo
you to pump up your Presta valve tyres with a service-station air hose
if that is your wish.

I advise you throw away your mountain bike and car and standardise o
Presta valves exclusively. They're clearly better for th
environment.

Regards,

Suz

--
suzyj

Old December 6th 04, 06:52 AM
cannongirl

I advise you throw away your mountain bike and car and standardise on
Presta valves exclusively. They're clearly better for the
environment.

Regards,

Suzy

That's funny suzy

--
cannongirl

Old December 6th 04, 07:11 AM
DaveB

hippy wrote:

See if you pump has a fitting for them. Most pumps have a
swapable head on them. They are very common on road
bikes and higher end mtb's.

hippy

On the subject of presta valves, mine are really ****ting me. The OCR2
has the short valves. My old roadie had the long ones and never had a
problem latching onto them. But the short ones leave me a couple of mm's
short of a good connection (using the floor pump) so half the time I'm
halfway through pumping and the bloody thing starts to leak air, which
leaves me furiously trying to pump fast enough to make a difference. Is
that common with the short presta valves?

DaveB

Old December 6th 04, 07:37 AM
suzyj

DaveB wrote:

On the subject of presta valves, mine are really ****ting me. Th

OCR2
has the short valves. My old roadie had the long ones and never ha

problem latching onto them. But the short ones leave me a couple o

mm's
short of a good connection (using the floor pump) so half the tim

I'm
halfway through pumping and the bloody thing starts to leak air

which
leaves me furiously trying to pump fast enough to make a difference

Is
that common with the short presta valves?

I use Open Pro rims, which are fine with short valves, but have see
plenty of bikes around with medium-depth rims where short valves are
tad too short and long valves stick out three inches, and snap off whe
people try to put air in them. I reckon if someone sold "medium valves
they'd be able to retire comfortably on the sales within a couple o
months.

Regards,

Suz

--
suzyj

Old December 6th 04, 07:55 AM
Kim Hawtin

hippy wrote:
"Kim Hawtin" kim@ratbag wrote in message

theres a small locking 'nut' which locks the valve in..
but my 'standard' bike pump i use for my MTB is larger etc.

They are "presta" valves or "french" valves.
See "Presta" he http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p-q.html

See if you pump has a fitting for them. Most pumps have a
swapable head on them. They are very common on road
bikes and higher end mtb's.

ok, i should just fork out for a decent pump and not replace the tubes
then ?

cheers,

kim
Old December 6th 04, 07:58 AM
Kim Hawtin

DaveB wrote:
hippy wrote:

See if you pump has a fitting for them. Most pumps have a
swapable head on them. They are very common on road
bikes and higher end mtb's.

On the subject of presta valves, mine are really ****ting me. The OCR2
has the short valves. My old roadie had the long ones and never had a
problem latching onto them.

mine are about an inch long. i borrowed a pump, but it took a good ten
minutes per tyre to get them firm... need a better pump

But the short ones leave me a couple of mm's
short of a good connection (using the floor pump) so half the time I'm
halfway through pumping and the bloody thing starts to leak air, which
leaves me furiously trying to pump fast enough to make a difference. Is
that common with the short presta valves?

sound like the trade off between light wieght and ease of use

cheers,

kim
Old December 6th 04, 08:03 AM
NickZX6R

DaveB wrote:
hippy wrote:

See if you pump has a fitting for them. Most pumps have a
swapable head on them. They are very common on road
bikes and higher end mtb's.

hippy

On the subject of presta valves, mine are really ****ting me. The OCR2
has the short valves. My old roadie had the long ones and never had a
problem latching onto them. But the short ones leave me a couple of mm's
short of a good connection (using the floor pump) so half the time I'm
halfway through pumping and the bloody thing starts to leak air, which
leaves me furiously trying to pump fast enough to make a difference. Is
that common with the short presta valves?

DaveB

Sounds like the valves are too short for your rims. I'd just get long
stem tubes. Convenience while fixing flats is something I value highly

--
Nick

Old December 6th 04, 08:41 AM
Parbs

"suzyj" wrote in message ...

Kim Hawtin wrote:

snip
am i likely to be able to get tubes in the standard fitting,
same as on my MTB?

No. The diameter of the stem is narrower than that of a Schraeder
valve (car-valve), so a Schraeder valve won't fit in the rim.

Often Mtb rims will be drilled for Schraeder, and Presta valves fitted with a rubber gromet. You don't want to be 20km from the end
of the track, with a puncture to find the glue has gone hard in the repair kit and the the only spare tube in in your group is a
Schraeder.

Sniped again
Regards,

Suzy