Santa Monica Mtns.

Old November 12th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
RB2

Default Santa Monica Mtns.

Is it *fun* to muni on these trails?

Been riding them for ~3 1/2 years on a mtn bike but I'm not sure how
they would be for muni, since I dont have one yet.

Dont want to spend all the $$ on a muni if I cant ride it anywhere...

--
RB2
RB2's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13490

Old November 12th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gordito8me

I've never ridden there but assuming you've been riding for a while it's
probably safe to do it on the one you have now and then if you're
having trouble with getting over bumps then go ahead and order a 24''
or bigger. But if you enjoy it then go ahead and get a muni.

--
gordito8me
gordito8me's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13641

Old November 12th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
entropy

There's some interesting stuff in Sullivan Canyon. There's also a good
conditioning trail in Malibu Canyon. John Long (vivalargo) knows best,
that's his local area.

--
entropy

Shut up and ride.
entropy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5816

Old November 12th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
RB2

gordito8me wrote:
I've never ridden there but assuming you've been riding for a while it's
probably safe to do it on the one you have now and then if you're
having trouble with getting over bumps then go ahead and order a 24''
or bigger. But if you enjoy it then go ahead and get a muni.

oh no I dont have a muni right now.

Been mtn biking with 2 wheels for a few years. Cant unicycle yet.

Yeah I rode sullivan canyon this morning and was looking around to see
how it would possibly fare on a muni. Seems like the best bet in the
area, since the only other place I can think of is the backbone, and
that seems kind of long on a 24" wheel.
Malibu Creek now after the rains is relativey rocky and technical, so
seems fun to do in a few years when I can actually balance on a muni.
I know that this is looking pretty far ahead, but I dont want to spend
$200 for nothing...

BTW anyone ridden the backbone on a muni (will rogers section)?

Old November 12th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

RB2 wrote:
Is it *fun* to muni on these trails?

Been riding them for ~3 1/2 years on a mtn bike but I'm not sure how
they would be for muni, since I dont have one yet.

Dont want to spend all the $$ on a muni if I cant ride it anywhere...

I live nearby so pleeeease tell me *where* the good technical trails are
in SM. Thanks!

--
MuniAddict

"There is an -idea-, of a Patrick Bateman"

"They all float down here"

Old November 12th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
vivalargo

The technical rides in the SM mountains rarely involve rocky terrain,
rather steep dirt and shale. The Sullivan Ridge fire road takes off
from the top of Ridgeway, which is just off Sunset Blvd (Mapquest it).
There's a single track descending to the right of the long (3 miles)
fire road and it has some steep and interesting dirt ramps (rutted). I
usually try and grind this out once a week and then take the
Mullholland Drive fire road over to another fire road descending down
to Sullivan Canyon, which is non-technical but a fun training run with
some drop practice off stuff beside the main trail. The whole loop is
about six or seven miles and is a good fittness drill.

You can also keep going (on Mullholland) past (1/4 mile) the descent
into Sullivan and blast down Caballero Canyon foot paths but these (two
side by side single tracks) are horrendous, steep shale/dirt and dump
out in the Valley, meaning you have a 15 mile shuttle to get back to
SM. There's also a super steep dirt single track above Will Rodgers
State Park that ends close to Sunset Blvd., as well as the dreadfull
"Elevator Shaft," which pitches down the mountain (to the left) after a
1/4 mile up the Sullivan Ridge fire road. There's some semi-technical
stuff further toward The Hub, but it's a long way to get there (like
eight miles) for little pay off. There's a big rock slab up there that
would be good if it wasn't so far. Little Moab and other trails in
that area are mostly moderate MB paths, not worth bothering with (I
think I've done most all of them). The Malibu stream bed is a "baby
head" rock garden that develops hard tractoring skills but is basically
dead ass flat--and exhausting. And boring.

If technical muni is your thing, I suggest driving 30 minutes and do
the trails in Agora (Suicide Connector) or up in East Simi (G-Spot,
Hummingbird, Devil's Slide, et al). Those will keep you busy for
years.

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

Old November 12th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
teachndad

RB2 wrote:
Is it *fun* to muni on these trails?

Been riding them for ~3 1/2 years on a mtn bike but I'm not sure how
they would be for muni, since I dont have one yet.

Dont want to spend all the $$ on a muni if I cant ride it anywhere...

Hi,

I have an old MUni that I can loan you to try out. It works well as a
starter MUni.

I am in the West Valley. I assume your somewhere around Santa Monica.

Contact me at teachndad (att) gmail (dott) com

Cheers.

--
teachndad

Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
(http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'UnicycleTips.com' (http://UnicycleTips.com)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

Holy Crap! Condi the new Monica?!?!?!?!? D'ohBoy Techniques 8 June 22nd 06 08:33 PM
Santa Fe Dreamin' [email protected] Mountain Biking 9 September 20th 05 02:33 AM
Santa Fe LBS recommendation? [email protected] Mountain Biking 6 July 26th 05 04:16 PM
when santa comes bob watkinson UK 6 December 27th 04 12:14 AM
Santa came! Bill Sornson General 10 December 25th 04 02:48 PM