Clothing/shorts for touring bike ride?

Old April 7th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Clothing/shorts for touring bike ride?

Went on a long ride on the REI Randonne Saturday and
man does my butt hurt!

I def need dedicated cycle shorts rather than wearing
long jeans wit no padding.

However....since all my bike riding will be
touring..... do you guys prefer TIGHT padded touring
shirts over the looser style mt bike cut shorts? For
touring type riding?

Also.... if Pearl Izumi worth that extra cost premium?
Or can one find just as good padded shorts less cost?

Also..... I want some kind of polyester VERY light
shell such as a vest or jacket. You guys prefer jackets
WITH zip off sleeves or just a vest and use arm warmers
when needed?

Thanks guys!!
Old April 7th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Maury Markowitz

On Apr 7, 1:19*pm, wrote:
I def need dedicated cycle shorts rather than wearing
long jeans wit no padding.

Oh yeah!

touring..... do you guys prefer TIGHT padded touring shirts

Yes. I've tried a couple different pairs of half-n-halfs that try to
look like normal shorts, and simply put there's simply no comparison.
Get the tight ones!

Also.... if Pearl Izumi worth that extra cost premium?

Dunno, but I've tried a couple and really like my Sugi's, they have a
sort of "flat" color instead of the normal glossy black or grey.

Maury
Old April 7th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Maury Markowitz wrote:

Also.... if Pearl Izumi worth that extra cost premium?

Dunno, but I've tried a couple and really like my Sugi's, they have a
sort of "flat" color instead of the normal glossy black or grey.

OK thanks!!

I kind of 'assumed" the tight ones were still best over
the 'cargo short" style.... but needed confirmation

and... would like that flat finish better than glossy
as well
Old April 7th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Apr 7, 10:19*am, wrote:
Went on a long ride on the REI Randonne Saturday and
man does my butt hurt!

I def need dedicated cycle shorts rather than wearing
long jeans wit no padding.

However....since all my bike riding will be
touring..... do you guys prefer TIGHT padded touring
shirts over the looser style mt bike cut shorts? For
touring type riding?

Other way around. The tight ones go UNDER the baggy ones. Otherwise,
it bunches up and looks goofy.

Okay, that was a joke, but I am serious about it. On tour, I wear
padded lycra shorts in lieu of underwear, with baggy hiking shorts
over the top. Usually, the baggy shorts are part of convertible pants
with zip-off legs, like REI Saharas or North Face Paramounts. When I
get to camp and the sun goes down, the legs get zipped on.

I have a couple of pairs of baggies with padded liners, but don't wear
them often, because they're not cut high in the back like the lycra
ones, and I wind up showing plumber's butt.

Also.... if Pearl Izumi worth that extra cost premium?
Or can one find just as good padded shorts less cost?

I've never used PI shorts, but my favorites are Perfornance Bike Shop
Elites, which are often on sale for about $30, and the Century, often
on sale for $20. I've tried their cheaper Classics but was
unimpressed. I also like Canari Veloces, but the PBS ones are a better
value. Avoid gel shorts. Not at all comfortable, IMO.

Also..... I want some kind of polyester VERY light
shell such as a vest or jacket. You guys prefer jackets
WITH zip off sleeves or just a vest and use arm warmers
when needed?

I have 2 Canari convertible vest/jackets and love them.
Old April 7th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hank wrote:

I've never used PI shorts, but my favorites are Perfornance Bike Shop
Elites, which are often on sale for about $30,

Ok thanks I will take a look at them

Also..... my girlfriend has taken up bike riding and
needs some padded shorts as well.

Are any brands more specific to a 42 yr old woman and
will fit her shape better? Or do all of the unisex
brands pretty much work for a woman well?
Old April 7th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hank wrote:

On tour, I wear
padded lycra shorts in lieu of underwear, with baggy hiking shorts
over the top. Usually, the baggy shorts are part of convertible pants
with zip-off legs, like REI Saharas or North Face Paramounts. When I
get to camp and the sun goes down, the legs get zipped on.

Good idea...will remember this and give it a try.

Do you generally like LONG cut tight shorts? Or
somewhat shorter cut?
Old April 7th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

Also..... my girlfriend has taken up bike riding and
needs some padded shorts as well.

Are any brands more specific to a 42 yr old woman and
will fit her shape better? Or do all of the unisex
brands pretty much work for a woman well?

"Unisex" shorts don't often fit women very well. The placement of the
padding is different, and the shape of the shorts differs as well, since
women tend to have "hips" and guys don't get any wider any place in
particular, they just get wider everywhere.

It may be more difficult to convince her that the lycra shorts are the way
to go, but once she tries them and sees how much more comfortable they are,
she'll likely change. It can be a process though. We have customers who
simply refuse to believe that lycra shorts will make much of a difference,
and continue to wear the baggy style. When we finally break them down, they
get mad at us for not convincing them sooner. As if we didn't try!

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

wrote in message
news

Old April 7th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hank wrote:

I've never used PI shorts, but my favorites are Perfornance Bike Shop
Elites, which are often on sale for about $30,

what abt the idea of using a padded and lined underwear
UNDER some baggy shorts?
Old April 7th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

It may be more difficult to convince her that the lycra shorts are the way
to go,

well she wears tight nylon shorts now..... juts NOT
padded

I'm thinking she would like some padding down there
too! G But what to buy for her upcoming birthday?
Old April 8th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

OUTSTANDING SHORTS

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1

ALSO SELLS P ZUMI

TRY duofold poly underwear in campmor and a light wind braker-camp
sells an inexpensive breathable windbreaker useable with a dayglo net
vest