Clothing/shorts for touring bike ride?

Old April 8th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Default Clothing/shorts for touring bike ride?

In article ,
wrote:

Hank wrote:

On tour, I wear
padded lycra shorts in lieu of underwear, with baggy hiking shorts
over the top. Usually, the baggy shorts are part of convertible pants
with zip-off legs, like REI Saharas or North Face Paramounts. When I
get to camp and the sun goes down, the legs get zipped on.

Good idea...will remember this and give it a try.

Do you generally like LONG cut tight shorts? Or
somewhat shorter cut?

I wear bib knickers in all weather, because I prefer
to keep the sun off the tops of my thighs. Bibs because
there they do not depend on a waist band to keep them
in place.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/181,17775_Biemme-Rap-Bib-Knickers-For-Men-and-Women.html

--
Michael Press
Old April 8th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per :
However....since all my bike riding will be
touring..... do you guys prefer TIGHT padded touring
shirts over the looser style mt bike cut shorts? For
touring type riding?

I'm no tourist, but I do my share of riding.

Got *three* (count 'em: 1-2-3) perfectly-good sets of baggy MTB
shorts hanging in the closet - virtually unused since I bought
them. Slow learner that I am....

For me, the lycra tights just work better.

Believe-it-or-not, there's significant wind drag from baggy pants
and, to a lesser extent, baggy shorts. I demonstrate this to
myself with a little roller-coaster hill nearby. Crest the
first hump at a given speed, then see how far I can coast up the
next one. It's a shorter distance with baggy pants every time.

Also, I find the baggies tend to hang up on the saddle when
returning from a butt-floss situation. Probably not an issue
when touring, but still...

When they get worn through/torn up enough, I demote them to
winter use underneath of cargo pants.

If you're really touring (i.e. carrying some significant amount
of stuff with you) I'd say carry some lightweight baggy shorts or
a pair of those zip-off-leg convertible pants so you'll be
covered when the lycra finally wears out and splits during a
ride.

Finally, what're MTB shorts anyhow - except for a pair of lycra
tights sewn into a pair of baggies? Better to unbundle and
choose your shorts and choose your baggies.

--
PeteCresswell
Old April 8th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Apr 7, 7:52*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
[...]

lycra tights are not East Jesus
Old April 8th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:
OUTSTANDING SHORTS

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1

gene posts a Campmor link. All is well in the Usenet world.

Old April 8th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

last 3 bought cost $12
and I have the jacket/pants then gave one at Xmas.
pants are outstanding. 92/humid walking back thru the meadow to NWA.
don breathable and no sweat, no bug bites. amazing.
one night i was walking so and came across a florida toad doing the
extinct wood pecker eyeyeahahaha whatta hoot
Old April 8th 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

| I wear bib knickers in all weather, because I prefer
| to keep the sun off the tops of my thighs. Bibs because
| there they do not depend on a waist band to keep them
| in place.

Bib shorts are highly addictive. I can't imagine ever wearing anything else
now. What I like is that you can sit, stand, move around as much as you want
and the shorts stay in place.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old April 8th 08, 12:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marian

On Apr 8, 1:08 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
| I wear bib knickers in all weather, because I prefer
| to keep the sun off the tops of my thighs. Bibs because
| there they do not depend on a waist band to keep them
| in place.

Bib shorts are highly addictive. I can't imagine ever wearing anything else
now. What I like is that you can sit, stand, move around as much as you want
and the shorts stay in place.

Yabbut PEEING is really hard.

I mean, if you are a pro rider of the male persuasion and have
practice you might be able to stand up on the pedals pull the shorts
up up up and pull it out and take a whiz while one of your teammates
holds on to your saddle to keep you moving but if you AREN'T a pro
rider, don't have teammates, or happen to be a girl (like me) peeing
becomes really difficult.

Which is not to say that my two pairs of bib shorts aren't among my
favorites just that I really wish there was an easier way to go to the
toilet that didn't involve getting completely undressed when wearing
them.

-M
Old April 8th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Apr 7, 10:08 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
Michael Press wrote:
| I wear bib knickers in all weather, because I prefer
| to keep the sun off the tops of my thighs. Bibs because
| there they do not depend on a waist band to keep them
| in place.

Bib shorts are highly addictive. I can't imagine ever wearing anything else
now. What I like is that you can sit, stand, move around as much as you want
and the shorts stay in place.

I like bibs too, except for when the straps cause nipple chafing.
Anybody see the "charity fun run" episode of The Office? I had Andy's
experience on a recent cold & humid day.