Clothing/shorts for touring bike ride?

Old April 8th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Default Clothing/shorts for touring bike ride?

NEW EQUIPMENT SOLVES TRAINING PROBLEM

if a comprehensive training program is acquired and followed thru on
for 4-5 months then your gluteus, soas, ect know the muscle groups?
NO? then uranot comprehensive. then your gluteus, soas won't 'hurt'

overall, training for 25 miles gives what? 25-40 miles of press on
riding. 75 miles ditto...
at least 4 times a week.

that's a serious recreation cyclist program not a mitty racer's
schedule

try Ti underwear.

Old April 8th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 7, 12:19*pm, wrote:
Went on a long ride on the REI Randonne Saturday and
man does my butt hurt!

I def need dedicated cycle shorts rather than wearing
long jeans wit no padding.

However....since all my bike riding will be
touring..... do you guys prefer TIGHT padded touring
shirts over the looser style mt bike cut shorts? For
touring type riding?

For long riding, lycra shorts are great. Bungee some cargo shorts on
your rack for modesty if you wanna run into some store for an Oh Henry
bar. You don't need padding. Padding in shorts is a modern bull****
panacea to make you think that they're gonna solve your problem.
Padding adds bulk and more chafing.

Since you're already shopping at REI, I can recommend their house
brand "Novara" shorts heartily. The cheapest ones with a pad, but a
very thin seamless one. They reduce chafing and absorb moisture. As
far as "padding", it's built into your ass. Muscle discomfort is from
your tucchus getting used to exerting itself while sitting on a
saddle. Get over it by riding. Make sure the saddle is dead level and
at the right height as well. Suck it up and ride. When you get home,
powder your bits and have a good cry.

Also.... if Pearl Izumi worth that extra cost premium?
Or can one find just as good padded shorts less cost?

Pearl Izumis shorts are like wearing a really well made diaper. Yuck.
Quality discomfort!
Old April 8th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
landotter wrote:

For long riding, lycra shorts are great. Bungee some cargo shorts on
your rack for modesty if you wanna run into some store for an Oh Henry
bar. You don't need padding. Padding in shorts is a modern bull****
panacea to make you think that they're gonna solve your problem.
Padding adds bulk and more chafing.

Since you're already shopping at REI, I can recommend their house
brand "Novara" shorts heartily. The cheapest ones with a pad, but a
very thin seamless one. They reduce chafing and absorb moisture. As
far as "padding", it's built into your ass. Muscle discomfort is from
your tucchus getting used to exerting itself while sitting on a
saddle. Get over it by riding. Make sure the saddle is dead level and
at the right height as well. Suck it up and ride. When you get home,
powder your bits and have a good cry.

This belongs in the FAQ. Any seconds?

--
Michael Press
Old April 8th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

It's better than nothing but, for me, not as good as real shorts.

Ok sounds like real padded shorts STILL win out.

Now.... what abt wool vs synthetics? Again use will be
in summer hot weather. I'm thinking light wool may have
an advantage at staying cool in hot weather, yes?
Old April 8th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

datakoll wrote:

OUTSTANDING SHORTS

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1

ALSO SELLS P ZUMI

TRY duofold poly underwear in campmor and a light wind braker-camp
sells an inexpensive breathable windbreaker useable with a dayglo net
vest

Do you wear padded shorts UNDER the above shorts?
Old April 8th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

Finally, what're MTB shorts anyhow - except for a pair of lycra
tights sewn into a pair of baggies? Better to unbundle and
choose your shorts and choose your baggies.

Good info!!

Thanks Pete!!

I will get the padded tight shorts then.

Like I said.... I've been out of cycling for abt 10
years now and don't have ANY clothing at all.....
Old April 8th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

landotter wrote:

You don't need padding. Padding in shorts is a modern bull****
panacea to make you think that they're gonna solve your problem.
Padding adds bulk and more chafing.

Really?????

My ass hurt right at my poop hole!!

I think "padding" would have some affect on that. No?
Old April 8th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JG

Padding emulates the old chamois lining. The idea of chamois is to
stick to your butt like a(nother) piece of meat, so that the heat
producing friction all occurs between the external surface of the
shorts and the saddle. If it works, it's a feature.

Wool is ideal for a jersey, but lightweight lycra shorts can be
conveniently washed and dried, and usually win out.

Experiment with saddle position. It should be close to horizontal.
Generally nylon based saddles are slightly nose up, and leather
saddles nose-down. If you are doing it right, the flesh around the
two bones in the middle of things will feel sweetly sore next time you
sit on the saddle. If you are numbing, the nose may be high, and if
you are getting hemeroids it may be too low.

JG
Old April 9th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Michael Press:

This belongs in the FAQ. Any seconds?

Yes, qualified by the three assertions (no pun intended) that

- The saddle's usable width must be at least as wide as the CC
distance between your sit bones

- Very small changes in saddle angle can effect very large
changes in comfort, so a micro-adjustable seat post is a very
good investment.

- Springs are not obsolete for everybody.
--
PeteCresswell