newbie disk brake maintenance: do I need new pads or something else?

Old July 1st 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default newbie disk brake maintenance: do I need new pads or something else?

I am very happy with my four-month-old Cannondale BBQ (1600 commuter
miles):

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/bbq/left.jpg

The brakes have been squealing, and I just today learned how to clean
the rotors with a cloth and alcohol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN2wJHG0d14

So the squeal is now gone, but Performance Bike was trying to sell me
new pads. Two questions:

Should new pads be needed at this point?

Are there good-better-best pads to chose from?

Old July 1st 10, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jun 30, 6:34*pm, " wrote:
I am very happy with my four-month-old Cannondale BBQ (1600 commuter
miles):

http://www.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/bbq/left.jpg

The brakes have been squealing, and I just today learned how to clean
the rotors with a cloth and alcohol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN2wJHG0d14

So the squeal is now gone, but Performance Bike was trying to sell me
new pads. Two questions:

Should new pads be needed at this point?

Are there good-better-best pads to chose from?

Brake pad wear varies. Only way to know if they need replacing is to
caliper them. If cleaning the rotors got rid of the squealing, then
pull the pads at your leisure and have a look. If there's less than
half left, start shopping for pads. If you like what's on there, get
the same thing. Kool-Stops are always good.

BB5s can drag if not set up right, as there's only one adjustable
click wheel. If you're also getting some "ziiiing ziiiing" sounds, you
probably need a caliper adjustment and a rotor truing. If not, no
worries.
Old July 2nd 10, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jul 1, 10:08*am, landotter wrote:
On Jun 30, 6:34*pm, " wrote:

[...]

worries.- Hide quoted text -

I think the brakes will be OK until Sep-Oct, when the shops are
slowing down. The sales guy said I get some break on the labor for the
first two fall tuneups at the Cannondale shop where I bought the bike
(Kozy's on Milwaukee Ave). The brakes are Avid, so I guess the pads
would be Avid too? I should check the literature that came with the
bike. If better pads are available, I would do that. I am looking to
minimize trips to the LBS.

This bike has been quite maintenance-free. The derailleurs are
shifting OK. No flats on the OEM tires.

Thanks - J.
Old July 16th 10, 04:40 AM
JaxRhapsody JaxRhapsody is offline
Junior Member

Location: Louisville, KY
Send a message via MSN to JaxRhapsody Send a message via Yahoo to JaxRhapsody

Quote:
Originally Posted by landotter View Post
On Jun 30, 6:34*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Hmmm, that sounds like something similar that'd be told if talking about a car or anything else with disc brakes.
The Jax Rhapsody, Rhapsodic Laviathan. Man behind the fro with tinted sunglasses.