Almost collided with a bicyclist today

Old July 15th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime
Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are Murderers

Default Almost collided with a bicyclist today

I'm heading W and cyclist S. 4way stop. I stop but the cyclist just
flies thru at 25 mph and i assume he's going straight ahead. So i
start my left turn and then he starts a left turn right into me. No
crash but crap like that is why so many car drivers hate bikes.
Old July 15th 10, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime
Kevan Smith[_2_]

On 7/15/10 2:20 PM, Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are Murderers wrote:
I'm heading W and cyclist S. 4way stop. I stop but the cyclist just
flies thru at 25 mph and i assume he's going straight ahead. So i
start my left turn and then he starts a left turn right into me. No
crash but crap like that is why so many car drivers hate bikes.

No doubt the cyclist was wrong for not obeying the stop sign.

However, a couple of points:

1) If he had been going 25 mph, he likely would have cleared the
intersection while you were still stopped. Better estimate of speed --
15 mph.

2) You should have waited for the intersection to clear before beginning
your turn.

Kevan
Old July 15th 10, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime

On Jul 15, 3:30*pm, Kevan Smith wrote:
On 7/15/10 2:20 PM, Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are Murderers wrote:

I'm heading W and cyclist S. *4way stop. I stop but the cyclist just
flies thru at 25 mph and i assume he's going straight ahead. *So i
start my left turn and then he starts a left turn right into me. *No
crash but crap like that is why so many car drivers hate bikes.

No doubt the cyclist was wrong for not obeying the stop sign.

However, a couple of points:

1) If he had been going 25 mph, he likely would have cleared the
intersection while you were still stopped. Better estimate of speed --
15 mph.

2) You should have waited for the intersection to clear before beginning
your turn.

Kevan

One day the elephant said, "These damn ants are all over the place, so
I'm forced to step on them!" And he went on going around with casual
disregard.
Old July 16th 10, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime

On Jul 15, 6:29*pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the
Movement of Tantra-Hammock" wrote:
[...]

Drivers must be very ****ed at pedestrians too, so many of them being
totally reckless. They killed one around here. The pedestrian was on
the phone and the driver took him out.

But it worries me when THE DRIVER is on the phone. And they are all
over the place.
Old July 16th 10, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime
necromancer[_4_]

SFB spewed:

I'm heading W and cyclist S. 4way stop. I stop but the cyclist just
flies thru at 25 mph and i assume he's going straight ahead. So i
start my left turn and then he starts a left turn right into me. No
crash but crap like that is why so many car drivers hate bikes.

Blood thirsty maniac. Why don't *you* watch where the **** you are
going? And what was your hurry anyway - welafre office fixing to
close?

That cyclist should have taken your drivers license and shoved it up
your ass sideways.

--

Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are MURDERERS (a.k.a. SFB) admits to being
a deadly speeder, psychopath and criminal coddler:

" Have you ever driven a car faster than the legal speed limit?

Yes, but never deliberately. In fact i got a speeding ticket about 5
years ago for doing 41 in a 25. I just about kicked the cops teeth in
cause i was sure he was lying. No way the SL on this wide open
stretch could be 25, i thought."

Pride of America (c.k.a. Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend/
laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE/Speeders And Drunk Drivers
Are Murderers (SADDAM)), 10/3/2002

Proof that POA is LBMHB/lbVH/SADDAM:
See the following: http://tinyurl.com/ahphj
Old July 16th 10, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime
Cully J

I totally understand about drivers talking on their phones. Luckily,It
seems that many drivers now have car-phones that enable you to talk
outloud while driving with both hands one the steering wheel. How do
you feel about those?

Cullen

On Jul 15, 6:09*pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the

Old July 16th 10, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime
necromancer[_4_]

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:04:59 -0700 (PDT), Cully J
wrote:

I totally understand about drivers talking on their phones. Luckily,It
seems that many drivers now have car-phones that enable you to talk
outloud while driving with both hands one the steering wheel. How do
you feel about those?

Doesn't do anything about the underlying problem that the driver is
distracted by the conversation. Just because the driver is looking
straight ahead with both hands on the wheel doesn't mean that he/she
is comprehending what's going on or will be able to react to it.
--
Loco Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend defends a known *DRUNK DRIVER*:

"Teddy went off a single lane bridge with no guard rail at night.
The real killer was the idiot who built the bridge. Next question."
--Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend/laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE
June 20th, 2006
Ref: http://tinyurl.com/zlnyz
Message ID:
Old July 16th 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime
Tad McClellan

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.misc.]

Cully J wrote:

I totally understand about drivers talking on their phones.

I think you probably do not understand...

Luckily,

.... because you say that.

It
seems that many drivers now have car-phones that enable you to talk
outloud while driving with both hands one the steering wheel.

It isn't what their hands are doing that make them dangerous,
it is what their minds are doing.

handheld AND handsfree cell phone talkers did worse than drunk drivers:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-6090342-7.html

"Driving while using a handsfree cellular device is not safer than using
a hand held cell phone":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_...ndsfree_device

"It doesn't make any difference if the phone is hands-free. It's the
listening that makes the difference, not the nature of the instrument.":
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Dye...=889064&page=1

"Even so-called hands-free devices should be banned, because studies
show they do not make it any safer to talk on the telephone while
driving":
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE50B3PF20090112

[ snip upside-down quote ]

--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.liamg\100cm.j.dat/"
Old July 16th 10, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime

On Jul 15, 9:04*pm, Cully J wrote:
I totally understand about drivers talking on their phones. Luckily,It
seems that *many drivers now have car-phones that enable you to talk
outloud while driving with both hands one the steering wheel. How do
you feel about those?

I'm OK with it. We need the cyclist to TAKE THE LANE to be seen
better, but I don't think he should should comply with every stop sign
and light out there. They do it at their own risk though.

The other day my girlfriend missed the green arrow because this lady
just walked in her path with a stroller. It's not fair where we had to
wait a couple of minutes and she only had to wait two seconds.
Old July 16th 10, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.true-crime

On Jul 15, 11:11*pm, "His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the
On Jul 15, 9:04*pm, Cully J wrote:

I totally understand about drivers talking on their phones. Luckily,It
seems that *many drivers now have car-phones that enable you to talk
outloud while driving with both hands one the steering wheel. How do
you feel about those?

I'm OK with it. We need the cyclist to TAKE THE LANE to be seen
better, but I don't think he should should comply with every stop sign
and light out there. They do it at their own risk though.

The other day my girlfriend missed the green arrow because this lady
just walked in her path with a stroller. It's not fair where we had to
wait a couple of minutes and she only had to wait two seconds.

Obviously we were in the car here.

The single-most safety issue for a cyclist is to wear a bright vest.

I'd enforce some laws on cyclists:

1- NO SIDEWALKS!

2- Lycra suit OR bright vest OR visible shirt,

3- Lights at night,

4- No phone.

I wouldn't enforce the helmet. Too hot for some places.