Summit vs. Monty

Old May 8th 04, 12:16 AM
darchibald

Default Summit vs. Monty

Which is better Summit or Bedford Monty. Once again I'm having second
thoughts about which to buy. Both are available to me but I'm not sure.
There both in relatively the same $ bracket, but I've heard the summit
is heavy. If anyone has a picture of the Bedford Monty that'd be great
cause I've never really seen a good picture. Both the 20" trials model.
Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
David

Ps. Sorry for always pestering about this, but I want to make the right
choice.

--
darchibald - Unofficial level 3.8

"Testacles still intact" ~ My mom's reaction after watching me do a
suicide mount.
darchibald's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6240

Old May 8th 04, 12:43 AM
gerblefranklin

Get the summit for these reasons:

-Summit has a DX-32 rim rather than a Monty. The monty rime is weaker,
doesn't fit the tire as well, and tends to have spokes pull through.

-Summit has splined cranks, while from what I last saw of the bedford,
it doesn't. This means the Bedford will break eons before the summit
will even begin to show wear.

-Summit has a bigger seatpost, which resists bending more.

The only reasons not to get the summit a

-The summit's 14lbs, 14oz, which is heavy. You'll get used to it. I have
a friend who can do 30" on his summit, so that shows the weight won't
stop you.

-The Bedford is made by Darren Bedford, who rocks!

-The summit has nubs.

Get the summit.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?

Old May 8th 04, 01:12 AM
darchibald

Perfect, I'm going with the summit. Thanks GF. Also what makes the
summit so heavy. Is it the frame or the seatpost? I could easily fix,
through money which ever problem it is, I think, that is if it turns out
to be a problem.

Thanks,
David

Old May 8th 04, 03:50 AM
elmer

But for the aforementioned reasons it is still the best bargain and the
best unicycle. The frame is heavier than it needs to be, but there is
some additional weight in the hub/spindle/crank assembly which is where
you need the strength, and where the Summit excels. If you're
determined to lighten it up, you could probably change frames, but you
would most likely also need to change seat posts and perhaps bearings,
though I'm not sure about that. At any rate, my 13 y.o. boy has
adjusted to the weight just fine. After a week or so you may not notice
it!

--
elmer - uniimpaired

"At 40 life begins...to show."
elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

Old May 8th 04, 07:39 AM
Rayden

You could spend a lot of money and get a KH frame if the weight really
bothers you. Or you could just get a KH.

Buy the summit and if the weight bothers you upgrade. I'm guessing you
won't care.

--
Rayden
Rayden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/264

Old May 8th 04, 06:48 PM
darchibald

Thanks, that sounds good. I'm surprised at the price of frames. I would
have thought it was much more expensive.

David

Old May 8th 04, 06:51 PM
darchibald

Sorry my mistake, they are much more expensive. Iwas only thinking about
the Nimbus II, frame. But thats suitable for trials anyway isn't it?

David

Old May 8th 04, 09:38 PM
evilewan

the nimbus ii or Yuni frame is actualy the doggs ******** (brittish
slang for "rather good")
in unicycling the ultimate test of "is it any good?" is "did anyone
break it?"
and as far as i know nobody broke a nimbus ii frame yet.

some people always break thier seatposts, i don't know how, ive never
broken a seat post.
i suspectt it only happens to realy tall people, most of us ride trials
unicycles with realy low seats, reducing the stress on the seatpost.

and the nimbus ii has a regular 22.7mm(or there abouts) seatpost, and if
your a seat post bender,then it is more likeley to get bend than the
oversize seatpost on summits, onzas and kh frames.
thats the only drawback.
you can however buy decent seatposts these days, like that george barnes
one that takes miyatas and kh seats. so maybe it dosent matter.

the nimbus ii has cheapo bearing holders, which is actualy a realy good
thing, if you break them doing grinds / crank stalls etc, then you can
get a new set for next to nothing.
break the kh or summit bearing holders and you colud find yourself
stuck.

buy the summit and if you decude youre a weight weenie then get a nimbus
i frame, which will incedently fit the odd sized bearings on the
kh/summit wheelset.

--
evilewan - death or glory

--
evilewan.

see the rec.sport.unicycling maintainance FAQ @
http://evilewan.unicyclist.com/
evilewan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1047

Summit! gpickett00 Unicycling 15 March 19th 04 04:02 PM
re building a monty wheel nick Unicycling 2 October 17th 03 12:54 AM
Monty Trials uni and freestyle uni for sale. Erin Unicycling 6 October 15th 03 01:48 AM