For Hippy - Track Bikes

Old September 18th 03, 01:14 PM
NickZX6R

Default For Hippy - Track Bikes

Hey Hippy

Have you been riding the track bike much yet?

I've been fantasising about trying out track riding for a while
now.

What advice can you give about:
- where to ride
- does it cost anything (ie. fees for track use?)
- whatever else I'd need to know

Cheers
-Nick

Old September 18th 03, 01:59 PM
hippy

"NickZX6R" wrote in message

Have you been riding the track bike much yet?

Other than on my driveway, I've only been to the track
once. I've been doing longer road rides to prep for ATBinaD
and combined with the dodgy weather here, I've not gone to
the track more

I've been fantasising about trying out track riding for a while
now.

Sick puppy! ;-)

What advice can you give about:
- where to ride

Well, if I had a different fork I might fit a front brake and
take to the road but for now, with no brakes, I will stick
to Blackburn CC's track. If you are in Melbourne, check
out: http://www.blackburncycling.org.au/circuits/track.html

- does it cost anything (ie. fees for track use?)

I'm a Blackburn member so it doesn't cost me anything.
That being said, at the moment there is no official training
on so no one would stop you riding on the track (unless
they started doing training perhaps?). Of course I didn't
tell you this...

- whatever else I'd need to know

Hmm, I just bought a track bike and took it down to the
track. There were two or three other guys there and they
told me to jump on (you literally have to jump the fence).
I made it clear I'd never done this before and they were
helpful and explained I should get used to the whole
track, i.e. ride down the bottom, up the top and
transition from both. You should keep above the middle
line so that others can do their fast efforts on the bottom
of the track.

I'll see if I can find some links for ya...

http://www.fixedgearfever.com/faq.htm, has 5 or so links
down the bottom of the page - very helpful!

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed/index.html
Sheldon.. need I say more? ;-)

http://www.velodrome.com/, I haven't explored this
yet so don't know the content, but a few other sites
mention it.

http://www.63xc.com/gregg/101_2.htm, these guys
ride fixies off-road! This is a direct link to their fixed
gear tutorial page though which is useful for all fixie
riders.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/f29, CyclingForums
track racing forum.

!RANDOM=5925546
RoadBikeReview's Fixed Gear forum.

I'm still a fixie virgin (kinda) but I'll help with
what I can.

hippy

Old September 19th 03, 06:01 AM
Shabby

Nickzx6r wrote:
Hey Hippy
Have you been riding the track bike much yet?
I've been fantasising about trying out track riding for a while now.
What advice can you give about:
- where to ride
- does it cost anything (ie. fees for track use?)
- whatever else I'd need to know
Cheers -Nick

Seeings Hippy's never raced, I'll give you my two cents:

In summer, most tracks are used by the club on most nights. Which means
only club members are allowed on the track, and only on track bikes.
(Fixies with no brakes).

Trackies are pretty intolerant to bad riding, because the potential for
stacks is huge, but most of us will endeavour to help new riders out, as
long as people listen to you. If you're a smart arse you'll get hammered
in every race until you quit.

Track always hurts like hell, but it's fun when you're winning. Most
people are under the misconception that trackies are all Sean Eadie/Gary
Niewand style sprinters, but in actual fact you need to be pretty fit
aerobically as well, as most club racing is pointscores, scratch races,
motorpaces and handicaps.

Oh, and if you think you're an OK sprinter, you'll find out pretty soon
that you're not.

Old September 20th 03, 04:01 AM
NickZX6R

Shabby wrote:
Nickzx6r wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tips and info guys.
At the moment it's still a vague plan. I haven't fantasised as far
as racing, just trying it out for curiosity's sake.

I'll check out the links hippy gave and come back with some stupid
questions

Oh, and I have no illusions about being an OK sprinter - I'm way too
crap to consider myself 'OK'

Cheers.
-Nick

Old September 21st 03, 02:08 AM
Andrew Swan

NickZX6R wrote:
Hey Hippy

Have you been riding the track bike much yet?

I've been fantasising about trying out track riding for a while
now.

What advice can you give about:
- where to ride
- does it cost anything (ie. fees for track use?)
- whatever else I'd need to know

Cheers
-Nick

If you're in Sydney, check this out (came in my email):

HTH,

&roo

******** SCHOOL HOLIDAY FUN ********

*** Cycling NSW Members only ***

Holidays are nearly here so why not get organised and come to
Dunc Gray to either hone your track skills or learn new ones.

Adults and juniors welcome

Organised training sessions:

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, 7, 8, 9, & 10 October

Session Times 8.30 am thru to 12.00 Noon

******** Qualified coaches on hand and derny available *******

If you have not ridden on Dunc Gray no problem we will teach
you how in your own time.

Guaranteed to have you going around the fence in no time.

Don’t have a track bike?…no problem!
Track bikes available at no charge for these sessions check sizes.

8 Bikes 46 cms and 1 bike each 52, 54, 55 cms.

Cost:

Juniors $10 per session or $30 for four sessions
Seniors $15 per session or $50 for four sessions

Please book in advance using the application form.

Application form available at www.nsw.cycling.org.au

Want to organise your own group? - min 6 riders required.

We will organise a training session just for you.

Maybe you have riders who have not ridden Dunc Gray
before and would like to learn as a group.

Contact Barrie McLean for group bookings.

Barrie McLean Phone: 9738 5850
Email:

Old September 21st 03, 10:52 AM
NickZX6R

Andrew Swan wrote:
NickZX6R wrote:
Hey Hippy

Have you been riding the track bike much yet?

I've been fantasising about trying out track riding for a while
now.

What advice can you give about:
- where to ride
- does it cost anything (ie. fees for track use?)
- whatever else I'd need to know

Cheers
-Nick

If you're in Sydney, check this out (came in my email):

HTH,

&roo

Good Stuff Snipped

What a shame.

Anyone know of a similar deal in Melbourne?

-Nick