SPDs and falling off!

Old October 14th 05, 10:10 PM
Keith Midgley

Default SPDs and falling off!

I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for sometime
but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
"falling off".

I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
in the future?

Keith failing to unclip in time :-(
Old October 14th 05, 10:53 PM
druidh

Keith Midgley wrote:
I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for sometime
but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
"falling off".

I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
in the future?

Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

Reckon on another two falls. Best get them over and done with. . .

druidh
Old October 15th 05, 02:22 AM
Sniper8052

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:53:35 GMT, druidh wrote:

Keith Midgley wrote:
I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for sometime
but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
"falling off".

I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
in the future?

Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

Reckon on another two falls. Best get them over and done with. . .

druidh

Is this like capsizing a dingy?
Sniper8052
Old October 15th 05, 08:42 AM
Tosspot

Keith Midgley wrote:

I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for sometime
but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
"falling off".

I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
in the future?

Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

Most people seem to use 2 or 3 times with increasing intervals. I can't
remember my last clipped in fall, but managed two in an equal number of
months at the start.

I have had people claim they've never done it. They are of course aliens.
Old October 15th 05, 09:17 AM
Mo Saycool

"Keith Midgley" wrote in message
news
[snip]
I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
in the future?

Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

I am a novice clipless pedal user as well. Got mine in July this year. So
far I have fallen off twice. Once on the test ride (inevitable, I suppose)
and then once at a T-Junction on my second proper outing (to the amusement
of the onlooking drivers). Since then, touchwood, I have been able to get my
feet out pretty readily. The guy at the bike shop suggested balancing
against the garden wall for half an hour practicing getting in and out
before the first trip on the road but this doesn't tend to replicate the
stress you are under when you need to stop in a hurry.

Old October 15th 05, 09:25 AM
Hywel Jenkins

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:10:11 +0100, Keith Midgley wrote:

I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for sometime
but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
"falling off".

I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
in the future?

Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

Expect to fall off again. I fall off, or come close to falling off, every
ride, having had SPDs since Easter. I just forget that I'm clipped in when
I come to a stop, then I panic that I can't move my legs due to some
physiological condition that instantly paralysed me.

I once fell off in front of a bunch of kids (11 year olds) that were
jumping logs.

--
Hywel
http://kibo.org.uk/
Old October 15th 05, 09:49 AM
vernon

I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
in the future?

Not wanting to tempt fate, I have had several close escapes including
uncliping the wrong leg as I started to topple to one side, just managed to
unclip in time. Emergency stops have led to the closest that I've been to
falling off. Anticipating coming to a halt and getting the uncliipoing drill
sorted has, so far, saved me from many of the indignities decribed in past
threads here.

I am reluctant to fit clipless pedals to my mountain bike. Don't trust my
balance enough :-)

Old October 15th 05, 09:52 AM

Tosspot wrote:
Keith Midgley wrote:

I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for sometime
but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
"falling off".

I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
in the future?

Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

Most people seem to use 2 or 3 times with increasing intervals. I can't
remember my last clipped in fall, but managed two in an equal number of
months at the start.

I have had people claim they've never done it. They are of course aliens.

I've never done it! I have them fairly loose so they pull out quite
easily.
I've got flat/spd reversible - it's quite handy if I want to belt off
to the shop when I'm wearing wellies etc.

cheers
Jacob
(beam me up I want to go home)

Old October 15th 05, 10:49 AM
Alan Braggins

Keith Midgley wrote:
I had been considering switching from platform pedals to SPDs for sometime
but was put off by all the postings about the seemingly compulsory
"falling off".

I finally took the plunge on Wednesday and tonight when leaving work I
fell off - am I now exempt for life, or can I expect further embarrassment
in the future?

Keith failing to unclip in time :-(

Reckon on another two falls. Best get them over and done with. . .

Is this like capsizing a dingy?

Only in the very loose sense that you can capsize a dinghy by failing
to uncleat something when you ought to, I think.

I've struggled to unclip SPDs in time a few times (and one day I'll get
around to swapping those pedals with ones my other bike to see if it
makes any difference), but always managed it so far (though my usual
commute I use work shoes on the platform sie of the pedal, or my folder
which has plain (but folding) platform pedals.

A friend of mine did once see a motorcyclist fall over at a traffic light.
My friend helped him up, and the motorcyclist explained "I've had a sidecar
for 20 years, and forgot I didn't have it today".
Old October 15th 05, 11:10 AM
Timfy

Keith Midgley wrote:
[...]

Completely unrelated but true story...

I used to be in a job that entailed lots of early morning motorway driving.
One morning we came across a Reliant Robin on the hard shoulder. It was on
it's side and had suffered a hefty bit of damage. The engine was still
running so we pulled over to investigate and found the driver, an old boy,
still inside.

His only words on getting him out were "Bloody thing keeps doing that"

--

Reply to address is valid on this account.
However, it's only checked once a week.

I love my SPDs Succorso UK 28 April 6th 04 08:52 AM
My first SPDs Succorso UK 10 April 1st 04 08:39 PM