Hurt knee

Old June 11th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Burr

Default Hurt knee

I hurt my knee yesterday while peddling. Been on this bike five years, was
not pushing a gear and had just turned out of the wind in the middle ring
about mid sprocket turning about a 66 cadence

The hurt is on the side at the bottom of my knee about 11 o-clock, it's
still tender today.

What I am wondering? The pedals had been turned in just a little all these
years (pigeon toed) and a week ago (four rides) I turned them straight.

Should the pedals be turned in just a little?

I ride again tomorrow on a closed course of two miles.

I'm a 66-year-old diabetic in very good shape, I lift three days a week and
cycle three days.

BP 110/65/51 sugar around 130 so I don't thing it's medical.

TIA for all comments.

Burr

Old June 11th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Burr wrote:
I hurt my knee yesterday while peddling. Been on this bike five years, was
not pushing a gear and had just turned out of the wind in the middle ring
about mid sprocket turning about a 66 cadence

The hurt is on the side at the bottom of my knee about 11 o-clock, it's
still tender today.

What I am wondering? The pedals had been turned in just a little all these
years (pigeon toed) and a week ago (four rides) I turned them straight.

Should the pedals be turned in just a little?

I ride again tomorrow on a closed course of two miles.

I'm a 66-year-old diabetic in very good shape, I lift three days a week and
cycle three days.

It sounds like you are doing the right stuff to be healthy, but maybe 2
miles is not enough bike time.

BP 110/65/51 sugar around 130 so I don't thing it's medical.

I can sort of relate since I am a few months shy of 60 myself, high BP
(inherited), but no diabetes. It may be just something age related that
popped up and may go away. I woke up one day about 5 months ago and my
leg hurt so bad I fell out of bed when I tried to stand up. It was fine
when I went to bed and it put me out of cycling for about 2 months.
Then one day it stopped hurting just like someone waved a magic wand
over it. I had it x-rayed and there was nothing wrong but the pain was
all too real. Your knee might just magically stop hurting and leave you
wondering what it was.

TIA for all comments.

Burr

OK, now that I've spilled why I haven't been riding, all I can do is to
say I hope you get better.
Bill Baka
Old June 11th 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_10_]

OK, now that I've spilled why I haven't been riding, all I can do is to
say I hope you get better.
Bill Baka

Yeah, Bill, it's all about you!

Old June 11th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_10_]

What I am wondering? The pedals had been turned in just a little all
these years (pigeon toed) and a week ago (four rides) I turned them
straight.

Burr

Burr, listen to your body! If your leg and knee wants to pedal a little
pigeon toed, give it what it wants! Don't turn the cleats "straight" because
of something you saw in a magazine or a photo or even something someone else
in your group told you. Your knee is telling you it doesn't like the new
arrangement. Listen to it.

Pat in TX

Old June 11th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jun 10, 7:15*pm, "Burr" wrote:
I hurt my knee yesterday while peddling. Been on this bike five years, was
not pushing a gear and had just turned out of the wind in the middle ring
about mid sprocket turning about a 66 cadence

The hurt is on the side at the bottom of my knee about 11 o-clock, it's
still tender today.

What I am wondering? *The pedals had been turned in just a little all these
years (pigeon toed) and a week ago (four rides) I turned them straight.

Should the pedals be turned in just a little?

Hard to diagnose without seeing you ride, but back of knee pain can
sometimes come with hyperextension from having the saddle set too
high. What is your saddle height like? Are you fully extending your
leg to the point of having to rock your hips at the bottom of your
pedal stroke?
Old June 11th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Pat wrote:
OK, now that I've spilled why I haven't been riding, all I can do is to
say I hope you get better.
Bill Baka

Yeah, Bill, it's all about you!

No damn you,
It is not about me. That was an about 'age' thing since he is more or
less my peer at 66. As people get older sometimes weird things happen
that defy explanation. His knee could be one of those. My leg was one.
No apparent medical reason but it happened.
I was trying to be supportive of another 'senior' citizen.
Some of you are just asshole/snobs, and this is not what a newsgroup
should be.
Bill Baka
Old June 11th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Burr

"Pat" wrote in message

What I am wondering? The pedals had been turned in just a little all
these years (pigeon toed) and a week ago (four rides) I turned them
straight.

Burr

Burr, listen to your body! If your leg and knee wants to pedal a little
pigeon toed, give it what it wants! Don't turn the cleats "straight"
because of something you saw in a magazine or a photo or even something
someone else in your group told you. Your knee is telling you it doesn't
like the new arrangement. Listen to it.

Pat in TX

I'm going to turn it back today.

Thanks,

Burr

Old June 11th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Burr

"landotter" wrote in message
On Jun 10, 7:15 pm, "Burr" wrote:
I hurt my knee yesterday while peddling. Been on this bike five years, was
not pushing a gear and had just turned out of the wind in the middle ring
about mid sprocket turning about a 66 cadence

The hurt is on the side at the bottom of my knee about 11 o-clock, it's
still tender today.

What I am wondering? The pedals had been turned in just a little all these
years (pigeon toed) and a week ago (four rides) I turned them straight.

Should the pedals be turned in just a little?

Hard to diagnose without seeing you ride, but back of knee pain can
sometimes come with hyperextension from having the saddle set too
high. What is your saddle height like? Are you fully extending your
leg to the point of having to rock your hips at the bottom of your
pedal stroke?

Thanks but it's the front left and the seat is right I think but I am going
re-check my setup today.

Burr

Old June 11th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Burr

"Bill"

It sounds like you are doing the right stuff to be healthy, but maybe 2
miles is not enough bike time.

Bill, I do 10 laps or more @ 2 miles "each"

Bill Baka

Burr

Does your ass hurt? Joe King Racing 3 October 17th 06 05:05 AM
FS: Federal ACL knee gasket knee pads, new, medium Todd Marketplace 0 February 8th 05 05:29 AM
It DOES hurt to look...... Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 18 July 6th 04 03:50 AM
Dogs Hurt! Tyler1407 Social Issues 9 July 3rd 04 04:33 AM
That hurt dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 3 January 19th 04 03:55 PM