upgrading 8 to 9 speed?

Old July 18th 03, 10:25 PM
Sheldon Brown

Default upgrading 8 to 9 speed?

Bob Sapp wrote:
Got a bike from Europe. Seems to be a 99 Dura-Ace model but I guess
the 99 models in Europe still used 8 speed cassettes.

No, the 8-speed setup was discontinued in 1996. I think you may have
been cheated.

What do I need
to change to make it work with the 9 speed? Clearly a new
shifter/derailler/cassette but what else? Do I need a new chain/front
deraileur too? Just post a message to the group for everyone's
benefit.

Unfortunately, pre-1997 (pre 9-speed) Dura-Ace stuff is not fully
interchangeable with the rest of Shimano's line. I have a detailed
article about this at http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

To convert to 9-speed, you will need:

•Shifters (any Shimano 9-speed shifters, they don't need to be Dura-Ace)

•Rear derailer (any Shimano rear derailer except old Dura-Ace)

•Cassette (any 9-speed cassette that doesn't have an 11 tooth sprocket)

•Chain (any 9-speed chain)

•Handlebar tape (any 9-speed index-compatible handlebar tape)

Some folks will tell you that you need to mess with the crankset and
front derailer, but they are mistaken.

Sheldon "Make Sure To Get The Right Tape" Brown
| One of my very favorite singer/songwriters is the |
| French folkie Gabriel Yacoub |
| His discs are hard to find, but worth looking for, |
| both his solo work and his earlier recordings with |
| the Breton group Malicorne. |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/music.html |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old July 18th 03, 11:49 PM
Kevin Rook

Sheldon Brown wrote:

•Handlebar tape (any 9-speed index-compatible handlebar tape)
Sheldon "Make Sure To Get The Right Tape" Brown

Sheldon, you crack me up......

Kevin

Old July 20th 03, 04:57 AM
Sheldon Brown

On upgrading an older Dura-Ace bike to 9-speed, Peter Chisholm wrote:

If it is indeed 8s DA, then need shifter(right), rear der, cassette and
chain.

David L. Johnson asked:

Why the rear derailleur?

Older Dura-Ace rear derailers used a shorter cable pull per shift than
newer designs. 1996 and older (6-,7- & 8-speed) Dura-Ace suffered from
this. Shimano brought the Dura-Ace line into harmony with the rest of
their products for the 1997 model year, when they introduced 9-speed.

I have an article that explains the very good reasons for this, and
offers ways of coping with the various incompatibilities of older
Dura-Ace stuff:

http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

Sheldon "It's On My Website" Brown
| Of all the strange "crimes" that human beings have |
| legislated out of nothing, "blasphemy" is the most |
| amazing--with "obscenity" and "indecent exposure" |
| fighting it out for second place. |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |

Old July 20th 03, 01:59 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

david- If it is indeed 8s DA, then need shifter(right), rear der, cassette
and
chain.

Why the rear derailleur? BRBR

shimano 9s shifters and a shimano DA 8s rear der will shift 8s spacing, not
9...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old July 20th 03, 09:26 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

Actually, you don't need a new derailer. Shimano's indexing is
determined by the shifter. If your current mech. will handle the range,
save yourself some money.

You will need a new hub (the 9's are longer), new shifter, cables are a
good idea, unless the ones you have are still in good shape, The
manufacturers all say you need a special 9 speed chain too, but I've
heard different from some of the folks here.

May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!
Chris

Chris'Z Corner
"The Website for the Common Bicyclist":
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old July 20th 03, 09:27 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

"Index compatible handlebar tape"? ROTFL!!!

Old July 21st 03, 07:25 PM
Sorni

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message
Bob Sapp wrote:
Got a bike from Europe. Seems to be a 99 Dura-Ace model but I guess
the 99 models in Europe still used 8 speed cassettes.

No, the 8-speed setup was discontinued in 1996. I think you may have
been cheated.

To convert to 9-speed, you will need:

•Shifters (any Shimano 9-speed shifters, they don't need to be Dura-Ace)

•Rear derailer (any Shimano rear derailer except old Dura-Ace)

•Cassette (any 9-speed cassette that doesn't have an 11 tooth sprocket)

•Chain (any 9-speed chain)

•Handlebar tape (any 9-speed index-compatible handlebar tape)

You're mean, Sheldon.

Hilarious, but mean

Bill

(I might have fallen for that when I was new, but now that I've been on
*TWO* road rides...)

Old July 22nd 03, 04:51 AM
Lewdvig

Its likely the bike came with an old cassette. It is very easy to get 9spd
levers to work with an 8spd drivetrain. Take it to a local shop for a tune
up and ask them to check it out for you.

All decent shops will have a good selection of 9spd tape.