pump valve stuck

Old August 4th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
beerismygas

Default pump valve stuck

hi there,

when inflating using my foot pump, the pump sometimes resists movement
& the gauge reaches 80psi. something appears to be getting stuck. any
idea what it could be?

i know i can buy another pump for $4 from Herbor Fright, but this was
a quality pump & i would like to try to dismantle and clean it if
possible.

thx

Old August 4th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Smith W9WI

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 10:47:55 -0700, beerismygas wrote:
hi there,

when inflating using my foot pump, the pump sometimes resists movement
& the gauge reaches 80psi. something appears to be getting stuck. any
idea what it could be?

Kinda sounds to me like it's the valve in your tube that's getting stuck -
sounds to me like there's nothing wrong with your pump.

Old August 5th 07, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

beerismygas wrote:
hi there,

when inflating using my foot pump, the pump sometimes resists movement
& the gauge reaches 80psi. something appears to be getting stuck. any
idea what it could be?

Common situation, if you have presta valves. The valve gets stuck. I
loosen the nut, then tap the end with the pump head to unstick the valve
(so little air comes out). Then it will work fine.

--

David L. Johnson

What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is not
that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant.
--Robert F. Kennedy
Old August 5th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
beerismygas

Kinda sounds to me like it's the valve in your tube that's getting stuck -
sounds to me like there's nothing wrong with your pump.

didnt think of that. thx

Old August 6th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

pumps need maintenance. take apart at regular intervals, clean,
regrease with silicone grease so aso not to rot the rubbah.