Sheared off pedal - How's that happen?

Old April 28th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
HazeRider[_2_]

Default Sheared off pedal - How's that happen?

On Apr 28, 1:43*pm, HazeRider wrote:
I discovered the hard way yesterday that I should be concerned about
possibility that the pedals on my bike might shear right off in the
middle of a ride. While crossing a major intersection and standing on
the pedals to accelerate after being at a complete stop the right
pedal of my Look Keo Sprints sheared straight off just as I passed the
traffic throwning me face first into the asphalt. It happened so fast
I never perceived the going down portion of this. One second I'm up
and a nano second latter my head and face do a seven-beat stacatto
drum riff on the asphalt. Major thanks to the lady that stopped in her
car and helped me. Also the police and rescue squad folks. A cop was
on scene in mere seconds and the ambulance in less that two minutes.
Amazing nothing broken on me. I need a Phantom of the Opera mask for a
few weeks and Advil is my best friend. The bike was not as luckly as
me. Major damage to handelbars, computer, sunglass, helmet, etc.

To the question. How the hell can a $150 pare of so call high
technology pedals with chrom-molly axels just shear off right at the
crank? These guys are just less than a year old. Have nearly 5,000
miles on them. They were attached to my Lemond Maillot Jaune. Not any
more. Ain't going to trust life and limb to those pedals any more.
Does anyone know if there is any history here? What would make this
happen?

These were installed with a Pedro's 8mm pedal hex key. They've been on
and off the bike. Removed them a few times. Took them to Paris and put
them on a Team CSC Cervelo last summer I was able to ride during part
of the Tour. Had them down in Ft. Lauderdale a few weeks ago on a
Bianchi I was borrowing during a business trip. That's the point
right. Take your pedals to match your cleats. Just a little bright
yellow Shimano grease and snug them in with the right tool and you
should be good to go. Pictures will follow. I've taken plenty. No
uploading device in the office today. Later.

Ed
Old April 28th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

From out of the fog comes the faceless rider holding his testicles
hollerin’
KEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
K-K-KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

http://www.google.com/search?q=Look+...e7&rlz=1I7GGLJ

ur problem was yawl bought the wrong ones !!!!!!!!!1
sheeeet these here are the good ones:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=22975

on law, ignore KC, he’s in texas.
inconsieb]avbble happening. you must be at fault.
the odd of a incorrectly forged shaft winding down at athe feet of
someone can afford a lawyer ?
impossiblay.

Old April 28th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

"This product will include a Free UPS Ground shipping credit. This
credit will give free ups ground shipping or apply as a credit toward
other types of shipping."

what next?

listen. when yawl pass thru Indianapolis, stop by the machine shop and
ask them.

Old April 29th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

On 28 Apr 2008 21:07:30 GMT, wrote:

Martin Borsje wrote:

I'd should say: do not in any case accept this!

This may not have happened!

I don't know exactly how this works in the US, but I suggest to hold
your LBS, where you bought it, responsible for all the damage to you
and your bike.

Do this by registered writing accompanied by a witness statement as
from the police officers present and pictures of the pedal/axle.

I agree with first replier's suggestion *not* to send the pedal
itself.

If I were to try to reconstruct the cause of failure, I would like to
see the pedal and the spindle to determine if it is a fatigue failure
(spindle is in straight alignment when fit together) or whether it
sustained an earlier bend that initiated failure. Also the fracture
face would probably reveal how long the crack was in development.

Only accept inspection by certified third party experts.

It might help to have a friend/colleague with knowledge about metal
failure mechanisms who can inspect and write a short report,
attached to your letter.

The fracture face will probably reveal the most information although
impact gouges on the pedal exterior would also reveal whether the
spindle had previously received an overload.

Can you publish some pic's of the fracture?

Success and pls keep us informed about proceedings!

Jobst Brandt

Jobst, from the posters' original plaint it seems possible that by "pedal"
he means "crank". We know crank falures are not uncommon - pedal spindles
probably less so.
Old April 29th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

Martin Borsje wrote:

[...]

Nevermind; from replies further down the tree it is now clear that the
pedal did break, not the crank.
Old April 29th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
HazeRider wrote:

[...]

Seriously consider legal advice.
Make no more statements to anybody.

--
Michael Press
Old April 29th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jay Taylor wrote:

[...]

"pedal" he means "crank". We know crank failures are not uncommon -
pedal spindles probably less so.

The OP's words:

"How the hell can a $150 pare of so call high technology pedals with
chrom-molly axels just shear off right at the crank?"

I think that is unambiguously the pedal in spite of malapropisms.

Jobst Brandt
Old April 29th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Apr 28, 4:24*pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,

*HazeRider wrote:
[...]

Oh, hell, he can talk to anyone he wants -- even us. It doesn't
matter unless he confesses to beating the pedal with a sledge hammer.
I mean the sucker broke within a years after it was purchased. Even a
baby lawyer could squeeze some money out of this case. Pedals should
last longer than 5K miles -- they better because I have the same Keo
model on my bike with about the same mileage. Tick, tick, tick. In
fact, I was riding on a Keo this weekend -- just one, though, because
my other pedal is a $10 rattrap that I can use with the boot on my
healing broken leg.

I look forward to seeing the pictures. I don't think the spindle has a
dramatically reduced cross section around the main bearings and don't
think it is just too whimpy for us pedal mashers -- at least I hope
not. A CroMo pedal that light is a little suspicious, though. -- Jay
Beattie.
Old April 29th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Michael Press wrote:
Seriously consider legal advice.
Make no more statements to anybody.

Second that.
As we say here when there's a lot of blathering about legal issues,
'Don't take legal advice from bike mechanics and don't let lawyers work
on your bike'. (Jay Beatty excepted of course)
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Help: Marin Top Stem Lug(?) Sheared [email protected] Techniques 0 October 31st 05 09:18 PM
frame sheared :( jtaylor Techniques 12 May 8th 05 11:22 PM
frame sheared :( Matthew Vernon UK 24 May 8th 05 11:22 PM
how's it going? [email protected] Mountain Biking 5 March 10th 05 03:06 AM
Maverick Sus: Anybody else sheared off a bolt? (Pete Cresswell) Mountain Biking 17 December 13th 04 03:32 AM