Bicycle Sky Lane

Old January 21st 10, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bicycle_disciple

Default Bicycle Sky Lane

An architect from Hungary proposed taking bicycle traffic to the skies
instead of the road. http://bit.ly/6DrfJD Its bizarre and is just in
conceptual stages now, but needless to say a lot of engineering and
cost considerations will have to go into making it possible. What do
you think? Using public money to give cyclists their own skylane?
Old January 21st 10, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:45:11 -0800 (PST), bicycle_disciple
wrote:

An architect from Hungary proposed taking bicycle traffic to the skies
instead of the road. http://bit.ly/6DrfJD Its bizarre and is just in
conceptual stages now, but needless to say a lot of engineering and
cost considerations will have to go into making it possible. What do
you think? Using public money to give cyclists their own skylane?

Dear BD,

Probably what people thought of the same idea around 1896:
http://tinyurl.com/yckhn9c

And around 1900, when the Pasadena to Los Angeles elevated bicycle
path failed:
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets.../view/CHS-8516
http://tinyurl.com/yae4gwh

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old January 21st 10, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mtb Dad

wrote:
An architect from Hungary proposed taking bicycle traffic to the skies
instead of the road.http://bit.ly/6DrfJD*Its bizarre and is just in
conceptual stages now, but needless to say a lot of engineering and
cost considerations will have to go into making it possible. What do
you think? Using public money to give cyclists their own skylane?

Dear BD,

Probably what people thought of the same idea around 1896:
*http://tinyurl.com/yckhn9c

And around 1900, when the Pasadena to Los Angeles elevated bicycle
path failed:
*http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets.../view/CHS-8516
*http://tinyurl.com/yae4gwh

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

I saw a similar proposal at ProBike in 1986, and didn't think much of
it then. I also think it's an idea contaminated by priority to the
car. It makes more sense (to me) to have public transit in dense
urban areas, and limit the private car so that there is room for
bicycles. Moving bicycles up in the air, I would guess, is a similar
mistake to putting people underground in winter cities. Sounds great
because it's warm, but it deadens street level life. Another mistake
has been buildings designed without a human scale (eg. windows and
doors) at street level; people avoid streets like this. Maybe these
designers are just following along the elevated train idea. Another
not so neighbourhood friendly idea.
Old January 21st 10, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim A

bicycle_disciple wrote:
An architect from Hungary proposed taking bicycle traffic to the skies
instead of the road. http://bit.ly/6DrfJD Its bizarre and is just in
conceptual stages now, but needless to say a lot of engineering and
cost considerations will have to go into making it possible. What do
you think? Using public money to give cyclists their own skylane?

It would be fun during an electrical storm!

Not so good for anyone suffering from vertigo.

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride
Old January 22nd 10, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
damyth

On Jan 21, 9:45*am, bicycle_disciple
wrote:
An architect from Hungary proposed taking bicycle traffic to the skies
instead of the road.http://bit.ly/6DrfJD*Its bizarre and is just in
conceptual stages now, but needless to say a lot of engineering and
cost considerations will have to go into making it possible. What do
you think? Using public money to give cyclists their own skylane?

Clearly that architect never rode a bike. Bicyclists must have access
to _useful_ destinations, just like everyone else. Say I'm going on a
grocery run. Why would I want to ride up some ramp every time I need
to make a stop with my groceries?

How about we turned the scenario around? Cars are limited to skyways
while pedestrians are limited to surface level streets. How many
motorists do you think are going to go for that?

Separate ain't equal. It's obvious to me skyway idea is a non-started
for bicyclist. In fact I insist on riding "normal" roads because:
1) same level of access for everyone
2) I don't encounter dogs with invisible leashes, baby strollers,
pedestrians on foot travelling way slower than my speed on a bike,
etc. (as I would on separated bike path)
3) fewer blind corners than separated bike paths (generally due to
shrubbery)
4) Normal roads get maintained/repaved and swept
Old January 22nd 10, 07:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim A

damyth wrote:

Clearly that architect never rode a bike. Bicyclists must have access
to _useful_ destinations, just like everyone else. Say I'm going on a
grocery run. Why would I want to ride up some ramp every time I need
to make a stop with my groceries?

How about we turned the scenario around? Cars are limited to skyways
while pedestrians are limited to surface level streets. How many
motorists do you think are going to go for that?

Separate ain't equal. It's obvious to me skyway idea is a non-started
for bicyclist. In fact I insist on riding "normal" roads because:
1) same level of access for everyone
2) I don't encounter dogs with invisible leashes, baby strollers,
pedestrians on foot travelling way slower than my speed on a bike,
etc. (as I would on separated bike path)

(playing devil's advocate for a minute) Motorists encounter cyclists
travelling way slower than their speed.

3) fewer blind corners than separated bike paths (generally due to
shrubbery)
4) Normal roads get maintained/repaved and swept

Generally I agree. I do use a short section of (off road) cycle path on
my commute where in helps me avoid a badly-surfaced road and a steep
hill, but for the most part the roads are the quickest, and when chosen
carefully the most pleasant route.

--
www.slowbicyclemovement.org - enjoy the ride
Old January 22nd 10, 09:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bicycle_disciple

wrote:
An architect from Hungary proposed taking bicycle traffic to the skies
instead of the road.http://bit.ly/6DrfJD*Its bizarre and is just in
conceptual stages now, but needless to say a lot of engineering and
cost considerations will have to go into making it possible. What do
you think? Using public money to give cyclists their own skylane?

Dear BD,

Probably what people thought of the same idea around 1896:
*http://tinyurl.com/yckhn9c

And around 1900, when the Pasadena to Los Angeles elevated bicycle
path failed:
*http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets.../view/CHS-8516
*http://tinyurl.com/yae4gwh

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Thats a great set of links. Amazing that people thought of such things
years back. Thanks!

BD
Old January 22nd 10, 09:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bicycle_disciple

On Jan 21, 3:53*pm, Jim A wrote:
bicycle_disciple wrote:
An architect from Hungary proposed taking bicycle traffic to the skies
instead of the road.http://bit.ly/6DrfJD*Its bizarre and is just in
conceptual stages now, but needless to say a lot of engineering and
cost considerations will have to go into making it possible. What do
you think? Using public money to give cyclists their own skylane?

It would be fun during an electrical storm!

Not so good for anyone suffering from vertigo.

--www.slowbicyclemovement.org- enjoy the ride

I think what no one said is that happens to the female who rides on
the skylane with a skirt. That won't take care of the traffic jam
below her, will it?

BD
Old January 22nd 10, 10:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bernhard Agthe

Hi,

bicycle_disciple wrote:
An architect from Hungary proposed taking bicycle traffic to the skies
instead of the road. http://bit.ly/6DrfJD Its bizarre and is just in
conceptual stages now, but needless to say a lot of engineering and
cost considerations will have to go into making it possible. What do
you think? Using public money to give cyclists their own skylane?

On the first thought this seems to be a nice idea. Actually there are
several places where I'd wish to have such a system - even if it's just
to avoid cars, pedestrians and (my arch-enemy) dogs.

But I do see several problems with the system.

1. Vandalism. What happens if someone just puts his old bubble gum at
one of the "safety line" posts? The "Safety device" will get stuck... Or
some stupid vandal to put his thrash INside the wheel rail - yuck and
here you go and cycle 4 Meters above the street (without your wheels in
the track?)

2. Accidents happen. What about a truck with a tarp securing the load
and the tarp is flapping? The cyclist will find himself hanging from the
safety line with the bike poking his ribs - right in front of the
oncoming traffic? Hmmm...

3. This system doesn't account for bikes with trailer, speciality bikes
('bents in general and trikes in particular). If you do something for
bike traffic, you'd better make sure it includes all kinds of bike
traffic - and it's the grandma on her upright trike who needs to be out
of traffic the most...

So, while this is a great idea, I do think it's unrealistic...

Ciao..

PS: keep on tinkering!!!
Old January 23rd 10, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

My first thought was "what has this guy been smoking?", but reading
on, I see that what he's really after is a cheaper alternative to the
boardwalks and skyrides now being built in wilderness preserves and
other scenic places that you want to show off but don't want to
trample.

I'd buy a ticket, assuming that the view is good.

I presume that compatible bikes would be provided.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net