Shoe Repair

Old October 29th 14, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Default Shoe Repair

My fifteen year old Nike cleats are coming apart. The plastic sole has
separated from heel and half of the rest of the shoe. Didn't notice it
while riding, but when removing the shoe. Probably should shop for a
replacement, but will try a repair. Any suggestion on a type of glue
to use? Cleaning the two surfaces may be a problem.

--
Joe Riel

Old October 29th 14, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

me too. NB trail runners.NB's glue gluing treads to shoe bottom...is water soluble.

I have no solution or rather I have solution but not remedy

NB's glue seems a weak version of 3M rubber/plastic adhesive...but I assume applied hot either in temp or vicious aromatic hydrocarbons or both on a clean virgin surface with absorbant new fresh receptive polymers or edmp or ?

advice I have is what you are looking for does not exist. Nothing sticks and flexes under duress.

GOOP and quality duck tape covered with silicone goo.

I've wire brushed without result leading to the above virgin conclusions.

Try a can of NAPA tire patch cement. I ahd a can but the aromatics cooked off while I was not using it. Zero tries on shoes works AAA on bike tubes.

Old October 29th 14, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:33:22 PM UTC-4, wrote:
me too. NB trail runners.NB's glue gluing treads to shoe bottom...is water soluble.

I have no solution or rather I have solution but not remedy

NB's glue seems a weak version of 3M rubber/plastic adhesive...but I assume applied hot either in temp or vicious aromatic hydrocarbons or both on a clean virgin surface with absorbant new fresh receptive polymers or edmp or ?

advice I have is what you are looking for does not exist. Nothing sticks and flexes under duress.

GOOP and quality duck tape covered with silicone goo.

I've wire brushed without result leading to the above virgin conclusions.

Try a can of NAPA tire patch cement. I ahd a can but the aromatics cooked off while I was not using it. Zero tries on shoes works AAA on bike tubes.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

have super results corking cans of aromatics eg liquid electrical tape liquids with a grocery plastic bag or garbage bag sheet...with ole for applicator....then twisting down with a pump pliers. opening with same. Not too tight or you'll run the threads.
Old October 29th 14, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 5:15:46 PM UTC-7, JoeRiel wrote:
My fifteen year old Nike cleats are coming apart. The plastic sole has
separated from heel and half of the rest of the shoe. Didn't notice it
while riding, but when removing the shoe. Probably should shop for a
replacement, but will try a repair. Any suggestion on a type of glue
to use? Cleaning the two surfaces may be a problem.

--
Joe Riel

This stuff is great: http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/...20high-res.jpg

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-...ight-direction

Gene will love this: http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-torture-demo/

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 29th 14, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

plastics not epdm or rubber. Joe has plastic...try that Joe. Establish optimal surface and cure conditions....slow cure in moderate temps low humidity. then let the shoe sit there curing for a month.

scrape plastic down to a new surface. after cleaning surface with? use tech chemicals.

get a rough herringbone surface on the gluing areas.

devise a clamping method conforming to in use form.

I have sole and heel cutouts in plywood for clamping blocks

plastics gluing went over the acceptable threshold ...I had a time but forgot...within 3 years. Now you can go to Walmart and buy something like Wests's in a double tube applicator as a liquid.

West's epoxy is versatile, useful in shop, last's maybe 2 years at warm temps maybe longer if you bury it.

I was bitching about Universal'so thrn proof tube nipples coming out as apparently unglued from the ^&&YH%%33###. Q tubes or the other brand U sells.

Used 3M rubber/plastic adhesive on the nipples. With a very long cure in warm S Fla weather, possible a durable repair. haven't roaded that yet.

Old October 29th 14, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

bah fix this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTfu0hjVtzE
Old October 29th 14, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/28/2014 8:15 PM, Joe Riel wrote:
My fifteen year old Nike cleats are coming apart. The plastic sole has
separated from heel and half of the rest of the shoe. Didn't notice it
while riding, but when removing the shoe. Probably should shop for a
replacement, but will try a repair. Any suggestion on a type of glue
to use? Cleaning the two surfaces may be a problem.

My wife's favorite hiking boots began losing their soles. I can report
that Goop failed almost immediately, despite cleaning as well as I
could, clamping, etc. I don't know if you'd have better luck with it.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 29th 14, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

jbeattie writes:

On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 5:15:46 PM UTC-7, JoeRiel wrote:
My fifteen year old Nike cleats are coming apart. The plastic sole has
separated from heel and half of the rest of the shoe. Didn't notice it
while riding, but when removing the shoe. Probably should shop for a
replacement, but will try a repair. Any suggestion on a type of glue
to use? Cleaning the two surfaces may be a problem.

--
Joe Riel

This stuff is great: http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/...20high-res.jpg

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-...ight-direction

Thanks. Not cheap, particularly considering I got the shoes for nothing
(from a teammate). Still a lot cheaper than retail for bike shoes.
I'll see if I can clean them sufficiently to make it worthwhile.

--
Joe Riel
Old October 29th 14, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=84101

https://www.google.com/#q=glue+for+r...vid=1734470418

Locktite 380 ?

Jest no end to this...

I have Neoprene and 2 kinds of vinyl on hand.....I'll try that. Maybe Locktite's Vinyl fabric adhesive from Wal/HD. The Lock Vinyl Fabric adhesive locked wires into nylon fittings, both difficult surfaces. Nylon is kinda greasy.

At this time, plastic soles are the answer. Is EPDM plastic rubber ?
Old October 29th 14, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 5:15:46 PM UTC-7, JoeRiel wrote:
My fifteen year old Nike cleats are coming apart. The plastic sole has
separated from heel and half of the rest of the shoe. Didn't notice it
while riding, but when removing the shoe. Probably should shop for a
replacement, but will try a repair. Any suggestion on a type of glue
to use? Cleaning the two surfaces may be a problem.

--
Joe Riel

This stuff is great:
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/...20high-res.jpg

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-...ight-direction

Gene will love this: http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-torture-demo/

-- Jay Beattie.

Looks like great stuff Jay. I've worn down the soles of my shoes to the
point where you start skating on your SPDs whenever you walk on a tile
floor. I've tried gluing chunks of rubber strip to the sole using Shoe Goo
or contact cement, but nothing seems to hold for long. Maybe this might.

Which shoe? Bill Techniques 17 February 19th 09 02:37 PM
carbon sole shoe repair question [email protected] Techniques 8 July 10th 08 01:23 PM
Shoe Repair and Lake and Louis Garneau heat moldable soles Chris M Techniques 1 February 1st 08 01:40 PM
What shoe? D.M. Procida UK 20 October 11th 06 11:18 PM
Carbon Fiber Shoe Sole repair Chris M Techniques 0 October 3rd 06 09:51 PM