headset drags according to spacer order

Old November 2nd 14, 07:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dstamat[_2_]

Default headset drags according to spacer order

Hello All,

My bicycle is setup with a 1 1/8" Chris King NoThreadset headset and a Ritchey Classic stem. When I bought it I also had 4 1cm spacers added in order to raise the handlebars (4 spacers - stem). Everything worked fine.

I recently decided to lower the riding position and moved the stem between the spacers (i.e. 2 spacers - stem - 2 spacers). After tightening the headset to the prescribed torque (1.7 Nm according to Chris King) I noticed that the headset drags a bit when the handlebar turns left but runs fine when it turns right. I removed the handlebar to make sure that no cables were rubbing but the result was the same. I even tried to loosen the stem cap bolt but with anything more than 0.5 Nm the headset drags when turned left.

Out of curiosity I changed the spacer/stem order back to the original (4 spacers - stem), retightened and there was no dragging. Everything was back to normal.

So, my question. How does the spacer/stem order affect the headset setup? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Many thanks in advance

Dimitris
Old November 2nd 14, 08:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_6_]

On 2/11/2014 5:58 PM, dstamat wrote:
[...]

Are you quite sure that the top and bottom faces of the steering tube
clamp on your stem are actually flat and parallel? No nicks or burrs in
the top face? If it's okay when stem is on top but not okay when stem is
sandwiched it could be because when the spacer is on top it rests on
some irregularity that the stem cap misses.
Have never owned a Chris King headset but if their fabled precision is a
fact, having the preload force concentrated on one side of the bearing
top cone through one side of the spacer stack may be enough to upset it.

Beg or borrow another stem and see if that makes a difference.
PH
Old November 2nd 14, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, November 2, 2014 3:38:24 AM UTC-5, Peter Howard wrote:
[...]

gud advice... also re-arrange spacers...mark each 1/2/3/ and top bottom....this is advanced mechanics...n flip em over in reverse order. Start there. You could vernier measure and eyeball spacers for regularity from a flat piece of glass..what ur after is an even stack where individual unevenness..hi side to low side..even out in the total stack height.
Old November 2nd 14, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

dstamat wrote:
[...]

King headsets are very picky about the squareness and parallelism of stem
and spacers. If not it can get loose again and again or more drag in one
position. Square and parallel of spacers is mostly the case. It is the syem
that can cause trouble. I always chase the stem square and parallel.
--
Lou
Old November 2nd 14, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/2/2014 1:58 AM, dstamat wrote:
[...]

That's an odd report. Could be that one spacer is not
machined flat and skews the bearing top cap but that's
unlikely. You could measure/inspect them I suppose.

Short answer= no, the order of spacers shouldn't affect
anything.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 2nd 14, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, November 2, 2014 7:45:18 AM UTC-8, Lou Holtman wrote:
dstamat wrote:
[...]

Most of us don't have a machine shop, and a facing tool is really expensive. http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=27926

If I have a problem, I just swap in another spacer. Most decent spacers do have parallel faces. I haven't encountered a stem that was not flat and parallel . . . yet.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 2nd 14, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

dstamat wrote:
[...]

I agree, a not-flat spacer would be highly unlikley.

Our TiN facing tool inserts are under $20:
http://www.grainger.com/product/SANDVIK-COROMANT-1-2-Inscribed-Circle-WP173006/_/N-1z0dnr9?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/4JLT4_AL01?$smthumb$

Old November 2nd 14, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

dstamat wrote:
[...]

Hé I don't say it is often the case but the OP has a problem and this may
be the cause knowing that CK headsets are picky. Aluminum spacers are
unlikely unflat or not parallel, but the CF I would not trust. If I see no
machining marks on a stem I am suspicious about the stem too. You don't
need that expensive tool. Just access to a lathe. I can't help you choose
the wrong profession 😛. Choose a profession where you make something and
you probably have access to a lathe.
--
Lou
Old November 2nd 14, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

dstamat wrote:
[...]

all spacers are flat

say how does your turning flat gadjet work ? ...where does the
FLAT as perpendicular to surface the gadjet sits on to surface...come from....what's flat ? or within accepted and observed tolerance is flat FLAT ?

to the tool.

and remember kids

ALL SPACERS ARE FLAT AND REGULAR TO BOTH SURAFCING ACTIVE SIDES.

FLAT
Old November 2nd 14, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

FLAT

BUT THE USUAL...

http://goo.gl/ZLTXK5

I did it upside down.