ship bike by air in bike bag?

Old September 28th 18, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default ship bike by air in bike bag?

On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 4:58:58 AM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 10:37:02 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I priced what it cost to ship a mountain bike from Smog Angeles to
Sidney Australia. 55 lbs for $1,842.95 one-way by FedEx Freight and not
including the box, packing service or customs.

Can I point out that there is no "Sidney Australia", but there is a
"Sydney Australia", which might lead to you package actually arriving VBG.

I wonder if "insurance" is a major factor in that cost. Apparently highly
priced bicycles can be very easily damaged in a permanent way.

You are perfectly right but that is what releases are for.
Old September 28th 18, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 12:11:48 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
Way back in 1976 was the first time we took bikes out of the country. We
flew British Air to Heathrow, and all they asked was that we removed the
pedals and turned the handlebars sideways.

(...)
Not that it matters much to me any more. We now have folding bikes that
travel inside suitcases. The airlines don't even know they are bikes.

Methinks you're right. The list of bicycle types on the Bike Flights
web pile does not include any manner of folding bicycle. Presumably,
these can be crammed into a smaller box and handled as air freight or
baggage that does not require any expensive special handling.

I have a problem cramming my bicycle into my Subaru Forester. Folding
handlebars and pedals are a big help:
https://www.google.com/search?q=folding+bicycle+handlebars&tbm=isch
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Sunlite%2067302%20folding%20pedals/index.html
I have folding pedals on 3 of my machines, but haven't tried folding
handlebars yet.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 28th 18, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 18:53:20 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Not that it matters much to me any more.
We now have folding bikes that travel inside
suitcases. The airlines don't even know they
are bikes.

Ain't it cool stuff?

Not cool enough. I want an inflatable bicycle frame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T0UWLPhCco
https://patents.google.com/patent/US9334007B2/en?oq=US+9334007B2
and bicycle wheels that expand like an umbrella.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 28th 18, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 11:58:55 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 10:37:02 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I priced what it cost to ship a mountain bike from Smog Angeles to
Sidney Australia. 55 lbs for $1,842.95 one-way by FedEx Freight and not
including the box, packing service or customs.

Can I point out that there is no "Sidney Australia", but there is a
"Sydney Australia", which might lead to you package actually arriving VBG.

Sory. My spellin chequer seams to be halfing a problem.

I wonder if "insurance" is a major factor in that cost. Apparently highly
priced bicycles can be very easily damaged in a permanent way.

No insurance, but you can buy a "protection plan":
https://www.bikeflights.com/shippingpolicy
See items 6 through 9.

--
Jeff Liebermann