Royal Mail Strike Again

Old December 11th 03, 10:41 AM
iarocu

Default Royal Mail Strike Again

On 1st October I orderd a rear light from Cyclexpress. When it hadn,t
arrived after a while I e-mailed them a couple of times. I was told
it had been posted. In any case they sent a replacement which arrived
soon thereafter.
Today the postie comes to the door with another Cateye LD600. I
ordered it on 1/10/03. Postmarked 2/10/03. Arrived 11/12/03.
Iain
PS I,ll either mail it back to them or more likely contact them
and buy it for one of the kids bikes.
Old December 11th 03, 10:52 AM
Michael MacClancy

"iarocu" wrote in message
om...
On 1st October I orderd a rear light from Cyclexpress. When it hadn,t
arrived after a while I e-mailed them a couple of times. I was told
it had been posted. In any case they sent a replacement which arrived
soon thereafter.
Today the postie comes to the door with another Cateye LD600. I
ordered it on 1/10/03. Postmarked 2/10/03. Arrived 11/12/03.

My experiences with items delivered by Royal Mail have been 100% good. I
would expect the occasional item to go astray, no service can be 100% and
the complexity of Royal Mail's operations is immense.
___
Michael MacClancy

Old December 11th 03, 07:39 PM
Danny Colyer

Michael MacClancy wrote:
My experiences with items delivered by Royal Mail have been 100%
good.

Fair enough, but it's the items *not* delivered that I've had problems
with :-/

(I can hardly blame the Royal Mail for the Telewest bills, they didn't
get delivered because Telewest didn't address them correctly. But my
wife's never forgiven the Royal Mail for the knickers that they failed
to deliver).

I would expect the occasional item to go astray, no service
can be 100% and the complexity of Royal Mail's operations is immense.

True enough.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

Old December 11th 03, 08:27 PM
jamie g

"Michael MacClancy" wrote in message

"iarocu" wrote in message
om...
On 1st October I orderd a rear light from Cyclexpress. When it hadn,t
arrived after a while I e-mailed them a couple of times. I was told
it had been posted. In any case they sent a replacement which arrived
soon thereafter.
Today the postie comes to the door with another Cateye LD600. I
ordered it on 1/10/03. Postmarked 2/10/03. Arrived 11/12/03.

My experiences with items delivered by Royal Mail have been 100% good. I
would expect the occasional item to go astray, no service can be 100% and
the complexity of Royal Mail's operations is immense.
___

Royal Mail lose around 1 million items every week.

Old December 12th 03, 07:35 AM
Michael MacClancy

"jamie g" wrote in message

"Michael MacClancy" wrote in message

"iarocu" wrote in message
om...
On 1st October I orderd a rear light from Cyclexpress. When it hadn,t
arrived after a while I e-mailed them a couple of times. I was told
it had been posted. In any case they sent a replacement which arrived
soon thereafter.
Today the postie comes to the door with another Cateye LD600. I
ordered it on 1/10/03. Postmarked 2/10/03. Arrived 11/12/03.

My experiences with items delivered by Royal Mail have been 100% good.

would expect the occasional item to go astray, no service can be 100%

and
the complexity of Royal Mail's operations is immense.
___

Royal Mail lose around 1 million items every week.

As with so many things it depends whose figures you rely on. Royal Mail
says that it loses or misdelivers 280,000 items per week. This is an error
rate of 0.07%.

They also manage to deliver about 15 million incorrectly addressed letters a
week. This doesn't include the eight million letters a day which have no
postcode or an inaccurate one.
___
Michael MacClancy

Old December 12th 03, 08:24 AM
Tony Raven

Michael MacClancy wrote:

This doesn't include the eight million letters a day which have no
postcode or an inaccurate one.

It does include the letters which are correctly postcoded but incorrectly
addressed and spend weeks being sent to all the local villages with the same
street name until luck happens.

Tony

Old December 12th 03, 09:25 AM
Michael MacClancy

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Michael MacClancy wrote:

This doesn't include the eight million letters a day which have no
postcode or an inaccurate one.

It does include the letters which are correctly postcoded but incorrectly
addressed and spend weeks being sent to all the local villages with the

same
street name until luck happens.

Tony

What was incorrect in the address? The house name/number? The reason I ask
is that the house name/number and full postcode are (supposedly) sufficient
to identify the delivery point. Although I can believe that Royal Mail
would place a greater reliance on the written address being correct than the
postcode.
___
Michael MacClancy

Old December 12th 03, 09:42 AM
Tony Raven

Michael MacClancy wrote:

What was incorrect in the address? The house name/number? The reason I ask
is that the house name/number and full postcode are (supposedly) sufficient
to identify the delivery point. Although I can believe that Royal Mail
would place a greater reliance on the written address being correct than the
postcode.

Everything is correct except the village name is missed out and just the local
major town there (its junk mail that has it wrong so I have no interest in
contacting them to correct it!). The post code refers to a single road of
three houses. The envelope always arrives with lots of scribble on of "Not
Village A, try B" "Not B either try ....". Yet a simple post code check
would tell immediately where it was supposed to be delivered. Its not just a
one off either as it happens every time to this particular junk mail which
takes 1 week to 2 months to arrive depending on how circuitous the route round
the local villages is.

Tony

Old December 12th 03, 10:24 AM
marc

Danny Colyer wrote:

But my
wife's never forgiven the Royal Mail for the knickers that they failed
to deliver).

Jpegs???

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply
Printing for clubs of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk