vintage shimano 7-speed freehub question.

Old August 24th 03, 05:46 PM
Sheldon Brown

Default vintage shimano 7-speed freehub question.

jjpsych wrote:
Hi,
Here is the deal. And i am sure that this has been asked several
times before,but please bear with me. In fact, if you want to reply
to me directly ant not post to the group, that is fine with me.

I am putting a fitness bike together with some older, but low mileage
dura ace parts I have. The wheelset has a dura-ace 7-speed freehub,
and do have a 12-21 (12-13-14-15-17-19-21) cassette for it. I have
noticed that the older uni-glide dura-ace cassettes are harder to get
than the 600 level uniglide stuff.

My question is can I replace the dura ace freehub body with a
different 7speed uniglide freehub body (like an ultegra, sante)?

That's not possible. The pre 1997 (pre 9-speed) Dura-Ace hubs had a
totally different way of attaching the Freehub body to the hub shell, so
_only_ 1996 or earlier bodies will fit. You can convert this to a
modern Hyperglide 8-/9-speed by replacing the body, but they're quite
espensive, and a special tool is required. If you wish to do this, we
can sell you the body and lend you the tool.

I want to do away with needing the dura-ace 1st and 2nd position cogs.

It's only the smallest (threaded) sprocket that is special. The splined
sprockets are interchangeable with other Uniglide sprockets. Also,
current Hyperglide sprockets can be easily modified to fit, by
grinding/filing off the one wide spline.

I dont really need a 12 (or an 11 for that matter) for the type of
riding that I am doing. A 13-21 (13-14-15-16-17-19-21) is really all
I need to have for now. That way, I get the 16t cog and avoid the jump
from 15 to 17 in my cluster. (Yeah, I kow this is the genus for the
8-speed set-up

I have a Web page devoted to interchangeability issues with older
Dura-Ace stuff, see: http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

Sheldon "DA" Brown
| Do, or do not. There is no 'try'. |
| -- Yoda |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old August 25th 03, 01:58 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

jjpsych- My question is can I replace the dura ace freehub body with a
different 7speed uniglide freehub body (like an ultegra, sante)? BRBR

No cannot. Can replace the 7s freehub with a 8/9s hyperglide DA freehub tho.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302