Campy: Lower Gears for Extremely Sporadic Use

Old May 7th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Default Campy: Lower Gears for Extremely Sporadic Use

In article ,
"Bill Sornson" wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
"Sandy" wrote:

Dans le message de
,
a réfléchi, et puis a
déclaré

What I don't understand is why some choose to respond with ridicule
or personal attack when apparently they have a different opinion.
Why not provide your perspective on the topic at hand, or technical
arguments to support your differing view? Are cut-downs and one-up-
manship all you have to offer this newsgroup?

[...]

And Sandy replies with ridicule and attack.

Gee, if you didn't DELETE what he wrote, then the reader could evaluate your
huffery and puffery.

You know what he wrote.
I chose to remove it because of what it is.

--
Michael Press
Old May 8th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On May 2, 10:18 pm, wrote:
The small dollar coins with Susan B. and Saca-unspellable and
soon-to-come presidents look almost like quarters. I shudder at the
thought of standing behind little old ladies painstakingly picking
through their coin purses and separating quarters from dollars in the
checkout line.

Here in Canada, our dollar and two-dollar coins ("Loonie" and
"Toonie", respectively) are quite popular. Two things helped them be
accepted:

1) The loonie is gold-coloured, so there's no mistaking it for a
twenty-five cent piece. The toonie is even more distinctive, being
bimetallic.

2) We stopped making the paper equivalents at virtually the same time
as the coins were issued.

That second step is critical. To hell with acceptance, make it so.

As to the 'pocket full of metal' issue, yes, they weigh you down more
than bills, but since we have fairly high sales taxes applied at time
of purchase (and generally 'hidden' until then) we would have that
problem anyway. Personally, I think they encourage people to pay with
exact change or 'Dilbert Values' (paying $2.12 when the bill is $1.87
to get a quarter back instead of $0.13.)

If we ever issue a $5 coin, I hope they put the Dionnes on it.

Old May 8th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

"Brian Huntley" wrote in message
On May 2, 10:18 pm, wrote:
The small dollar coins with Susan B. and Saca-unspellable and
soon-to-come presidents look almost like quarters. I shudder at the
thought of standing behind little old ladies painstakingly picking
through their coin purses and separating quarters from dollars in the
checkout line.

Here in Canada, our dollar and two-dollar coins ("Loonie" and
"Toonie", respectively) are quite popular. Two things helped them be
accepted:

1) The loonie is gold-coloured, so there's no mistaking it for a
twenty-five cent piece. The toonie is even more distinctive, being
bimetallic.

2) We stopped making the paper equivalents at virtually the same time
as the coins were issued.

That second step is critical. To hell with acceptance, make it so.

I imagine the same philosophy was taken with the change to the metric
system.

As to the 'pocket full of metal' issue, yes, they weigh you down more
than bills, but since we have fairly high sales taxes applied at time
of purchase (and generally 'hidden' until then) we would have that
problem anyway. Personally, I think they encourage people to pay with
exact change or 'Dilbert Values' (paying $2.12 when the bill is $1.87
to get a quarter back instead of $0.13.)

If we ever issue a $5 coin, I hope they put the Dionnes on it.

Charles?

Old May 8th 08, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

On May 2, 10:18 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yes. The result is that like most Canadians, I drive in kilometres, I
buy fluids by the millilitre, and I am 5'6" and 1x0 pounds.

Old May 8th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

On May 2, 10:18 pm, wrote:
The small dollar coins with Susan B. and Saca-unspellable and
soon-to-come presidents look almost like quarters. I shudder at the
thought of standing behind little old ladies painstakingly picking
through their coin purses and separating quarters from dollars in the
checkout line.

Here in Canada, our dollar and two-dollar coins ("Loonie" and
"Toonie", respectively) are quite popular.

If we ever issue a $5 coin, I hope they put the Dionnes on it.

Charles?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionne_quintuplets

I'd rather see Marcel Dionne on a coin.

Old May 8th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
]...

I imagine the same philosophy was taken with the change to the metric
system.

Yes. The result is that like most Canadians, I drive in kilometres, I
buy fluids by the millilitre, and I am 5'6" and 1x0 pounds.

At 1x0 pounds, you haven't been eating enough ice cream.

Old May 8th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On May 7, 9:39*pm, "Carl Sundquist" wrote:
"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message

]...

I imagine the same philosophy was taken with the change to the metric
system.

Yes. The result is that like most Canadians, I drive in kilometres, I
buy fluids by the millilitre, and I am 5'6" and 1x0 pounds.

At 1x0 pounds, you haven't been eating enough ice cream.

He needs more poutine. P.S. avoid Slurpees in BC. They are entirely
unlike American Slurpees, eh. -- Jay Beattie.