The lone 26er in a forest full of 29ers and 27.5ers

Old February 26th 18, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default The lone 26er in a forest full of 29ers and 27.5ers

I hate it when someone says "wow, I haven't seen skis/bikes/etc. like
that in a long time."

Yesterday went mountain biking in Wilder Ranch State Park north of Santa
Cruz http://oi66.tinypic.com/24y2x78.jpg.

I rode, my wife mostly walked her bike, a lovely 27.5er that she got
more than a year ago but had not yet ridden. For someone who barrels
down ski slopes, the same lack of fear did not translate to single track.

Waiting at one trail junction, someone commented, "wow you get extra
credit for doing this ride on an historic mountain bike."
http://www.mtbr.com/product/bikes/xc-hardtail/marin/bear-valley.html.

I can definitely see the upside of larger wheels after riding those trails.

Time to ban horses in parks. They leave a mess and they destroy the trails.
Old February 26th 18, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Calling Mike Vandeman,
Old February 26th 18, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-02-26 08:58, sms wrote:
I hate it when someone says "wow, I haven't seen skis/bikes/etc. like
that in a long time."

Yesterday went mountain biking in Wilder Ranch State Park north of Santa
Cruz http://oi66.tinypic.com/24y2x78.jpg.

I rode, my wife mostly walked her bike, a lovely 27.5er that she got
more than a year ago but had not yet ridden. For someone who barrels
down ski slopes, the same lack of fear did not translate to single track.

Waiting at one trail junction, someone commented, "wow you get extra
credit for doing this ride on an historic mountain bike."
http://www.mtbr.com/product/bikes/xc-hardtail/marin/bear-valley.html.

I see plenty of 26" MTB on trails. AFAIK most downhill bikes are 26".
However, rim brakes are really a thing of the past on MTB, and good
riddance to those.

I can definitely see the upside of larger wheels after riding those trails.

After switching from 26" to 29" my confidence level on gnarlier trails
went way up. Initially a bit too much and one OTB event brought me back
in line.

Time to ban horses in parks. They leave a mess and they destroy the trails.

My experience is the opposite. Horses leave their poop all over but that
ain't so bad. Cyclists are too often the inconsiderate folks. They
rattle down a steep trail section with the rear tire locked, spewing
rocks and dirt everywhere. They chuck water bottles and then after a
flat fix they leave the nasty CO2 cartridges just where they dropped
them. Those are everywhere, even in the middle of bike lanes. I had a
few front wheel sideways jolts because of them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old February 27th 18, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 12:34:48 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

On 2018-02-26 08:58, sms wrote:
[...]

And too, horse manure contributes to the fertility of the soil by
adding organic matter and nutrients, such as nitrogen, that are
utilized by bacteria, fungi and other organisms in the soil. Higher
organisms then feed on the fungi and bacteria in a chain of life that
comprises the soil food web.

Or one might simplify this by saying that manure benefits the
environment.

Cyclists, on the other hand contribute nothing useful to the
environment. :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 27th 18, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 12:34:50 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-02-26 08:58, sms wrote:
[...]

I would rather cope with an errant C02 cartridge (which I would pick up) than a heap of steaming horse **** (which I would not pick up). Horses are often harder on trails than MTBs, except in Folsom. https://insuremekevin.com/mountain-b...n-granite-bay/ You are a bad person!

I haven't seen a CO2 cartridge in the wild, although I don't doubt slobs drop them. Slobs drop basically everything.

As a hiker, I don't like being passed by fast moving MTBs, but then again, I don't like giant horses either -- or dogs for that matter. I like pedestrian only trails. I'm told that multi-use trails can work -- but I'll let my MTB friends fight that fight.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 27th 18, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2018-02-26 08:58, sms wrote:
I hate it when someone says "wow, I haven't seen skis/bikes/etc. like
that in a long time."

Yesterday went mountain biking in Wilder Ranch State Park north of Santa
Cruz http://oi66.tinypic.com/24y2x78.jpg.

I rode, my wife mostly walked her bike, a lovely 27.5er that she got
more than a year ago but had not yet ridden. For someone who barrels
down ski slopes, the same lack of fear did not translate to single track.

Waiting at one trail junction, someone commented, "wow you get extra
credit for doing this ride on an historic mountain bike."
http://www.mtbr.com/product/bikes/xc-hardtail/marin/bear-valley.html.

I see plenty of 26" MTB on trails. AFAIK most downhill bikes are 26".
However, rim brakes are really a thing of the past on MTB, and good
riddance to those.

I did install disc brakes on my 26"er Marin Bear Valley. It was all
prepped for discs.

After switching from 26" to 29" my confidence level on gnarlier trails
went way up. Initially a bit too much and one OTB event brought me back
in line.

Do they also increase traction on steep sections. There were areas where
my gearing was low enough, but I could not get traction to go up.

Time to ban horses in parks. They leave a mess and they destroy the
trails.

My experience is the opposite. Horses leave their poop all over but that
ain't so bad. Cyclists are too often the inconsiderate folks. They
rattle down a steep trail section with the rear tire locked, spewing
rocks and dirt everywhere. They chuck water bottles and then after a
flat fix they leave the nasty CO2 cartridges just where they dropped
them. Those are everywhere, even in the middle of bike lanes. I had a
few front wheel sideways jolts because of them.

What I see is that when the park has a sign saying "trails closed when
wet" the mountain bikers comply because it's hard to ride in mud, but
equestrians go right ahead and leave big holes from hooves when the mud
dries. I saw no ruts from bike tires but lots of holes from hooves.
Old February 27th 18, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/26/2018 8:40 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I haven't seen a CO2 cartridge in the wild, although I don't doubt slobs drop them. Slobs drop basically everything.

Long ago, I was on a ride with a few friends and one guy I barely knew.
That guy got a flat. He installed a new tube, then tossed the old tube
into the bushes.

I walked over and got the old tube back, stuffing it in my bike bag. He
said "Oh, do you want that? Do you take them home and patch them?"

He had absolutely no idea that tossing trash like that was not
admirable. Totally clueless.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 27th 18, 08:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 23:21:34 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 2/26/2018 8:40 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I haven't seen a CO2 cartridge in the wild, although I don't doubt slobs drop them. Slobs drop basically everything.

Long ago, I was on a ride with a few friends and one guy I barely knew.
That guy got a flat. He installed a new tube, then tossed the old tube
into the bushes.

I walked over and got the old tube back, stuffing it in my bike bag. He
said "Oh, do you want that? Do you take them home and patch them?"

He had absolutely no idea that tossing trash like that was not
admirable. Totally clueless.

My God! You ride on patched tires. That must be pretty dangerious
isn't it? But, of course, bicyclists wear crash helmets so I guess it
might be all right in an emergency.

Unless, one rides where there are mountain lions, I suppose. In that
case probably only new tires and tubes should be used :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 27th 18, 09:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

On 2/26/2018 8:40 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I haven't seen a CO2 cartridge in the wild, although I don't doubt slobs drop them. Slobs drop basically everything.

Long ago, I was on a ride with a few friends and one guy I barely knew.
That guy got a flat. He installed a new tube, then tossed the old tube
into the bushes.

I walked over and got the old tube back, stuffing it in my bike bag. He
said "Oh, do you want that? Do you take them home and patch them?"

He had absolutely no idea that tossing trash like that was not
admirable. Totally clueless.

My God! You ride on patched tires. That must be pretty dangerious
isn't it? But, of course, bicyclists wear crash helmets so I guess it
might be all right in an emergency.

Unless, one rides where there are mountain lions, I suppose. In that
case probably only new tires and tubes should be used :-)

I should think only slime filled or better, solid tyres, would be safe
enough in mountain lion territory. You can't be too careful!

--
JS
Old February 27th 18, 10:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

On 26-02-18 21:34, Joerg wrote:
My experience is the opposite. Horses leave their poop all over but that
ain't so bad.

I agree. Horse droppings dry quickly, leaving only something like hay
fragments on the ground.

Cow droppings (cow pies, or Kuhfläden in German) on an alpine pasture
are a whole other level of bad--like mud or jelly when fresh, so your
wheel can slip if you ride through one. And there can be so many that
it's hard to avoid riding or walking through one.

Ned

Euro 26er smcmorrow Unicycling 1 March 15th 07 06:40 AM
Euro 26er HistoricalGoof Unicycling 7 March 14th 07 04:34 PM
my 26er nears completion jagur Unicycling 25 August 29th 06 10:53 AM
26er vs. 29er... help! daino149 Unicycling 6 January 22nd 04 05:57 PM
29ers Mike DeMicco Mountain Biking 34 October 5th 03 07:15 PM