Woman on bicycle

Old February 15th 19, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Default Woman on bicycle

There is school at the end of my street. My desk faces to the window. Some
days I notice this woman on her bicycle going down the street, usually at
about the same time, so she must work at the school. Hi viz, helmet and
actually riding on the road!!!!!!
Across the road there is a ginnel, with constricting barriers and the legal
signage prohibiting cycling. I watched her mount the footpath, struggling
round the barriers and cycle down the ginnel - I once obstructed an ape on
his bicycle coming towards me in this ginnel, the ape dismounted.
So, is the woman just plain stupid, could not care less or does she not
understand the cycling prohibited sign?
As she is a cyclist it is probably all three.

Old February 15th 19, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 15/02/2019 14:46, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
There is school at the end of my street. My desk faces to the window.
Some days I notice this woman on her bicycle going down the street,
usually at about the same time, so she must work at the school. Hi
viz, helmet and actually riding on the road!!!!!! Across the road
there is a ginnel, with constricting barriers and the legal signage
prohibiting cycling. I watched her mount the footpath, struggling
round the barriers and cycle down the ginnel - I once obstructed an
ape on his bicycle coming towards me in this ginnel, the ape
dismounted. So, is the woman just plain stupid, could not care less
or does she not understand the cycling prohibited sign? As she is a
cyclist it is probably all three.

More likely someone being sensible and pragmatic.

How do you know it is a legal prohibition? Many are not.

When was the sign last maintained? Many have been left to deteriorate
for at least 30 years.

Is there a matching one at the far end? When not maintained or the path
crosses a local authority boundary, often there isn't.

Does anybody with authority ever come to enforce it? Perhaps you should
go to your local authority or the police and demand they provide somebody.

In any case, what purpose does a prohibition serve?
Old February 15th 19, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

TMS320 wrote:
On 15/02/2019 14:46, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
There is school at the end of my street. My desk faces to the window.
Some days I notice this woman on her bicycle going down the street,
usually at about the same time, so she must work at the school. Hi
viz, helmet and actually riding on the road!!!!!! Across the road
there is a ginnel, with constricting barriers and the legal signage
prohibiting cycling. I watched her mount the footpath, struggling
round the barriers and cycle down the ginnel - I once obstructed an
ape on his bicycle coming towards me in this ginnel, the ape
dismounted. So, is the woman just plain stupid, could not care less
or does she not understand the cycling prohibited sign? As she is a
cyclist it is probably all three.

More likely someone being sensible and pragmatic.

She could always dismount.

How do you know it is a legal prohibition? Many are not.

Goggle is my friend.

When was the sign last maintained? Many have been left to deteriorate
for at least 30 years.

The sign is very easy to read. Even the local cycling club agreed with me
when I complained about the adult riders ignoring the sign. They apologised
and said that they would have words with their members.

Is there a matching one at the far end? When not maintained or the
path crosses a local authority boundary, often there isn't.

Yes there is.

Does anybody with authority ever come to enforce it? Perhaps you
should go to your local authority or the police and demand they
provide somebody.

Of course not. The police have better things to do than fine a bunch of
stupid cyclists for breaking the law. They have actually told me this.

In any case, what purpose does a prohibition serve?

Asked like a true ****** on a bicycle.

Old February 15th 19, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 15/02/2019 16:43, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
TMS320 wrote:
On 15/02/2019 14:46, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
There is school at the end of my street. My desk faces to the
window. Some days I notice this woman on her bicycle going down
the street, usually at about the same time, so she must work at
the school. Hi viz, helmet and actually riding on the road!!!!!!
Across the road there is a ginnel, with constricting barriers and
the legal signage prohibiting cycling. I watched her mount the
footpath, struggling round the barriers and cycle down the ginnel
- I once obstructed an ape on his bicycle coming towards me in
this ginnel, the ape dismounted. So, is the woman just plain
stupid, could not care less or does she not understand the
cycling prohibited sign? As she is a cyclist it is probably all
three.

More likely someone being sensible and pragmatic.

She could always dismount.

How does that make a difference?

How do you know it is a legal prohibition? Many are not.

Goggle is my friend.

Perhaps you can share the link? Though I can't imagine how it would
help. Is there a dusty scroll in a vault that tells us definitively?

When was the sign last maintained? Many have been left to
deteriorate for at least 30 years.

The sign is very easy to read. Even the local cycling club agreed
with me when I complained about the adult riders ignoring the sign.
They apologised and said that they would have words with their
members.

I asked whether it had been maintained, not whether it is easy to read.

Is there a matching one at the far end? When not maintained or the
path crosses a local authority boundary, often there isn't.

Yes there is.

Surprising.

Does anybody with authority ever come to enforce it? Perhaps you
should go to your local authority or the police and demand they
provide somebody.

Of course not. The police have better things to do than fine a bunch
of stupid cyclists for breaking the law. They have actually told me
this.

Yes, society is better off when they direct their valuable resources at
people that carry chisels around when they have no plan to do any carpentry.

In any case, what purpose does a prohibition serve?

Asked like a true ****** on a bicycle.

If you had an answer you would tell us. No point having a law if nobody
knows the purpose of it.
Old February 15th 19, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Evans

On 15/02/2019 17:58, TMS320 wrote:

In any case, what purpose does a prohibition serve?

Asked like a true ****** on a bicycle.

If you had an answer you would tell us. No point having a law if nobody
knows the purpose of it.

Some cyclists do ride like ****s, on paths, and this does scare some old
people.

I do very occasionally ignore such signs, but I am very careful to
dismount if I see some one frail. I think Pounder's criticism of this
behaviour is fair enough, including an implied criticism of myself.

Old February 15th 19, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

TMS320 wrote:
[...]

Abiding by the law.

How do you know it is a legal prohibition? Many are not.

Goggle is my friend.

Perhaps you can share the link? Though I can't imagine how it would
help. Is there a dusty scroll in a vault that tells us definitively?

It is not difficult to find, but a cyclist could have problems.

When was the sign last maintained? Many have been left to
deteriorate for at least 30 years.

The sign is very easy to read. Even the local cycling club agreed
with me when I complained about the adult riders ignoring the sign.
They apologised and said that they would have words with their
members.

I asked whether it had been maintained, not whether it is easy to
read.

It has been maintained and is very easy to read........... why do cyclists
have problems reading signs?

Is there a matching one at the far end? When not maintained or the
path crosses a local authority boundary, often there isn't.

Yes there is.

Surprising.

Why?

Does anybody with authority ever come to enforce it? Perhaps you
should go to your local authority or the police and demand they
provide somebody.

Of course not. The police have better things to do than fine a bunch
of stupid cyclists for breaking the law. They have actually told me
this.

Yes, society is better off when they direct their valuable resources
at people that carry chisels around when they have no plan to do any
carpentry.

I do a lot of carpentry.

In any case, what purpose does a prohibition serve?

Asked like a true ****** on a bicycle.

If you had an answer you would tell us. No point having a law if
nobody knows the purpose of it.

Oh no, you don't get away with that "us" part. I'm too long in the tooth for
that pathetic reply.
You are a cyclist and are a ******.

Old February 15th 19, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Friday, February 15, 2019 at 2:46:47 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
There is school at the end of my street. My desk faces to the window. Some
days I notice this woman on her bicycle going down the street, usually at
about the same time, so she must work at the school. Hi viz, helmet and
actually riding on the road!!!!!!
Across the road there is a ginnel, with constricting barriers and the legal
signage prohibiting cycling. I watched her mount the footpath, struggling
round the barriers and cycle down the ginnel - I once obstructed an ape on
his bicycle coming towards me in this ginnel, the ape dismounted.
So, is the woman just plain stupid, could not care less or does she not
understand the cycling prohibited sign?
As she is a cyclist it is probably all three.

How convenient for you.
Posters with an IQ greater than their shoe size have made you look like a fool and suddenly you come up with this story.
How long have you lived there?
Why have we not heard about this before?
If it happens so regularly you could at least get some phone footage.
What is the Google maps reference?

Old February 15th 19, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

TMS320 wrote:
[...]

I shall take that as a don't know.

How do you know it is a legal prohibition? Many are not.

Goggle is my friend.

Perhaps you can share the link? Though I can't imagine how it would
help. Is there a dusty scroll in a vault that tells us definitively?

It is not difficult to find, but a cyclist could have problems.

The default for footpaths is that it is permitted to ride a bicycle on
them. To make that particular path no cycling would have required an
exemption.

It is not possible to know which page Goggle (sic) found for you and I
doubt it shows a picture of a dusty scroll that applies to that
particular path.

When was the sign last maintained? Many have been left to
deteriorate for at least 30 years.

The sign is very easy to read. Even the local cycling club agreed
with me when I complained about the adult riders ignoring the sign.
They apologised and said that they would have words with their
members.

I asked whether it had been maintained, not whether it is easy to
read.

It has been maintained and is very easy to read........... why do cyclists
have problems reading signs?

Why should people that use a bike be expected to be any better at
reading road signs than people that never use a bike?

Is there a matching one at the far end? When not maintained or the
path crosses a local authority boundary, often there isn't.

Yes there is.

Surprising.

Why?

Just is.

Does anybody with authority ever come to enforce it? Perhaps you
should go to your local authority or the police and demand they
provide somebody.

Of course not. The police have better things to do than fine a bunch
of stupid cyclists for breaking the law. They have actually told me
this.

Yes, society is better off when they direct their valuable resources
at people that carry chisels around when they have no plan to do any
carpentry.

I do a lot of carpentry.

You go around carving your name on the trees your dog wees on?

In any case, what purpose does a prohibition serve?

Asked like a true ****** on a bicycle.

If you had an answer you would tell us. No point having a law if
nobody knows the purpose of it.

Oh no, you don't get away with that "us" part. I'm too long in the tooth for
that pathetic reply.
You are a cyclist and are a ******.

This is a public forum. I will take your answer as a don't know.
Old February 15th 19, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

wrote:
There is school at the end of my street. My desk faces to the
window. Some days I notice this woman on her bicycle going down the
street, usually at about the same time, so she must work at the
school. Hi viz, helmet and actually riding on the road!!!!!!
Across the road there is a ginnel, with constricting barriers and
the legal signage prohibiting cycling. I watched her mount the
footpath, struggling round the barriers and cycle down the ginnel -
I once obstructed an ape on his bicycle coming towards me in this
ginnel, the ape dismounted.
So, is the woman just plain stupid, could not care less or does she
not understand the cycling prohibited sign?
As she is a cyclist it is probably all three.

How convenient for you.

Not at all. No convenience, I'm just saying what I saw. Sorry to annoy you.

Posters with an IQ greater than their shoe size have made you look
like a fool and suddenly you come up with this story. How long have
you lived there?

Oh look! You are now all upset and now you are asking me how long have I
lived in my home. You really are very stupid to ask this question, but you
are a cyclist.

Why have we not heard about this before?

I saw it recently, and cut the "we" out, I'm too long in the tooth to fall
for that one.

If it happens so regularly you could at least get some phone footage.

Where did I say it happened regularly?

What is the Google maps reference?

FFS!

Old February 16th 19, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

wrote:
There is school at the end of my street. My desk faces to the
window. Some days I notice this woman on her bicycle going down the
street, usually at about the same time, so she must work at the
school. Hi viz, helmet and actually riding on the road!!!!!!
Across the road there is a ginnel, with constricting barriers and
the legal signage prohibiting cycling. I watched her mount the
footpath, struggling round the barriers and cycle down the ginnel -
I once obstructed an ape on his bicycle coming towards me in this
ginnel, the ape dismounted.
So, is the woman just plain stupid, could not care less or does she
not understand the cycling prohibited sign?
As she is a cyclist it is probably all three.

How convenient for you.

Not at all. No convenience, I'm just saying what I saw. Sorry to annoy you.

You are a joke, not an annoyance.

Posters with an IQ greater than their shoe size have made you look
like a fool and suddenly you come up with this story. How long have
you lived there?

Oh look! You are now all upset and now you are asking me how long have I
lived in my home. You really are very stupid to ask this question, but you
are a cyclist.

Why have we not heard about this before?

I saw it recently, and cut the "we" out, I'm too long in the tooth to fall
for that one.

So you only saw it once.

If it happens so regularly you could at least get some phone footage.

Where did I say it happened regularly?

"Usually at about the same time", your words.

What is the Google maps reference?

FFS!

What is with asking for data?