Question - Campag brake cables

Old May 7th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon[_5_]

Default Question - Campag brake cables

Quick question - I am replacing the cables on my road bike
(Campagnolo) and purchased a box of new cables complete with housing
and end caps (the standard Campag pack) and of course threw away all
the old cabling without taking much notice of it.

Whilst the box supplies end caps for the shift cable housing, there
are none supplied for the brake cable housing. Is this normal? Do I
need end caps for the brake cable housing? I cannot remember whether
the old cables had them...

Thanks for any help.
Old May 7th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A R:nen

Simon writes:

Whilst the box supplies end caps for the shift cable housing, there
are none supplied for the brake cable housing. Is this normal? Do I
need end caps for the brake cable housing? I cannot remember whether
the old cables had them...

Current Ergopower levers are not compatible with end caps for the
brake cable housings (at the lever end, obviously, I thought they
still supplied end caps for the other end(s), though).
Old May 7th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 7, 10:06 am, Simon wrote:
Quick question - I am replacing the cables on my road bike
(Campagnolo) and purchased a box of new cables complete with housing
and end caps (the standard Campag pack) and of course threw away all
the old cabling without taking much notice of it.

Whilst the box supplies end caps for the shift cable housing, there
are none supplied for the brake cable housing. Is this normal? Do I
need end caps for the brake cable housing? I cannot remember whether
the old cables had them...

You shouldn't need any at the lever end of things. AFAIK, They're
optional for cable stops with brakes if you grind the housing smooth,
I'd use them there if I had some to save the paint.

Old May 7th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Simon wrote:
Quick question - I am replacing the cables on my road bike
(Campagnolo) and purchased a box of new cables complete with housing
and end caps (the standard Campag pack) and of course threw away all
the old cabling without taking much notice of it.

Whilst the box supplies end caps for the shift cable housing, there
are none supplied for the brake cable housing. Is this normal? Do I
need end caps for the brake cable housing? I cannot remember whether
the old cables had them...

Not necessary for many braking systems and in an Ergo lever there's no
room for a sleeve anyway. If you force one in, you'll either suffer or
pay to remove it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 7th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On May 7, 9:52*am, A Muzi wrote:
Simon wrote:
Quick question - I am replacing the cables on my road bike
(Campagnolo) and purchased a box of new cables complete with housing
and end caps (the standard Campag pack) and of course threw away all
the old cabling without taking much notice of it.

Whilst the box supplies end caps for the shift cable housing, there
are none supplied for the brake cable housing. Is this normal? Do I
need end caps for the brake cable housing? I cannot remember whether
the old cables had them...

Not necessary for many braking systems and in an Ergo lever there's no
room for a sleeve anyway. If you force one in, you'll either suffer or
pay to remove it.

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Current Campy calipers don't have room for ferrules, either. When I
replaced my long-reach Ambrosios with Centaurs (can you believe how
cheap the old pre-skeleton ones are selling for now?), I had to take
the ferrules off.

I was also astonished that current Campys are long enough to work on
my PX-10 without grinding down the pad slots with a Dremel. I'd bought
a set for my Guerciotti, and noticed that on that bike, the pads were
really high in the slot. I threw them on the Peugeot, and they just
barely reached far enough. AWESOME. I ordered another set. The PX-10
is now 100% Centaur-equipped!
Old May 8th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On May 7, 9:06*am, Simon wrote:
Quick question - I am replacing the cables on my road bike
(Campagnolo) and purchased a box of new cables complete with housing
and end caps (the standard Campag pack) and of course threw away all
the old cabling without taking much notice of it.

Whilst the box supplies end caps for the shift cable housing, there
are none supplied for the brake cable housing. Is this normal? Do I
need end caps for the brake cable housing? I cannot remember whether
the old cables had them...

Thanks for any help.

DO NOT USE FERRULES INSIDE THE LEVERS FOR THE BRAKE HOUSING.
Petpeeve of mine when 'knowlegable' wrenches use them in these and
shimano STI-do not please.
Old May 9th 08, 10:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon[_5_]

Thanks to all for the responses. I certainly got the message with
regards to not using Ferrules in the Ergopower shifters! Anyway,
didn't have any so didn't use any on the brake cables and they all
look good and work well. Cheers.

Campag Athena : fit Campag post-2000 brake pads and carriers? richard Techniques 4 January 4th 07 03:48 PM
Replacing brake cables Jenny Brien Techniques 14 July 26th 06 02:21 PM
FS: 18 Brake Cables Onrhodes Marketplace 1 March 21st 05 03:08 PM
Brompton brake cables Tim Woodall UK 4 December 7th 04 05:32 PM
Tightening brake cables Pete Biggs UK 12 September 4th 03 08:50 AM