Black Friday Deals on Bicycle Lights

Old November 27th 16, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Black Friday Deals on Bicycle Lights

The spousal unit insists on a better light for her commutes. Three
requirements: "all-in-one" (no separate battery pouch), rechargeable,
and brighter than the current 1000 lumen light (4C) that she's using now.

I thought that this would be easy, but there's very little out there
with the battery not in a separate location.

I found two possibilities:

ITUO Wiz20. It uses two 18650 cells. $100.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DNWCUAO

Lezyne Deca Drive 1500XXL
http://www.masherz.com/products/lezyne/decadrive1500xxlheadlight.htm
$112 (25% off code).

Ordered her the latter. It actually would have been $11 less to order it
shipped from the UK, but I decided that it's better to give the money to
a U.S. bicycle shop, even if it isn't local.

Kind of disappointed that Lezyne moved to a non-swappable battery with
their latest generation.

---

Old November 27th 16, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-11-27 09:52, sms wrote:
[...]

I don't want to spoil the fun here but whether your wife will be happy
with it depends on how long she rides with lights. I ride with the
lights on all the time on my road bike and found that at the full 1000
lumens a battery with four 18650 cells lasts around 2-2.5h. Since my
rides are more like 4-5h I am going to swap the MTB battery with the
road bike one which will give me eight 18650 cells (which turned out to
be overkill on the MTB). Got to make new enclosures first though since I
don't like things flopping about on the frame.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 27th 16, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Old November 27th 16, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2016-11-27 09:52, sms wrote:
[...]

You need 1000 lumens during the day? Why don't you just use a little flasher or 250 lumen light or no light since you don't ride much around traffic anyway. I imagine that if you are doing 4-5 hours on your road bike, a lot of that is out in boonies away from traffic. I did a couple hours this morning with a little flasher that I ran now and then when I was in a high traffic areas, and it was raining or near raining.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 27th 16, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 27/11/16 18:52, sms wrote:
The spousal unit insists on a better light for her commutes. Three
requirements: "all-in-one" (no separate battery pouch), rechargeable,
and brighter than the current 1000 lumen light (4C) that she's using now.

I thought that this would be easy, but there's very little out there
with the battery not in a separate location.

I found two possibilities:

ITUO Wiz20. It uses two 18650 cells. $100.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DNWCUAO

Lezyne Deca Drive 1500XXL
http://www.masherz.com/products/lezyne/decadrive1500xxlheadlight.htm
$112 (25% off code).

Will you buggers *stop* pointing me at Lezyne products! I get the
screaming hebiejeebies every time I go to their site.

Nice light, not so expensive either, would complement my dynamo
system...Aaargghhh...

Old November 27th 16, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/27/2016 10:03 AM, Joerg wrote:

I don't want to spoil the fun here but whether your wife will be happy
with it depends on how long she rides with lights. I ride with the
lights on all the time on my road bike and found that at the full 1000
lumens a battery with four 18650 cells lasts around 2-2.5h. Since my
rides are more like 4-5h I am going to swap the MTB battery with the
road bike one which will give me eight 18650 cells (which turned out to
be overkill on the MTB). Got to make new enclosures first though since I
don't like things flopping about on the frame.

For her, it's about a 1 hour commute each way, and she can charge at
work. Should be about right for the Lezeyne. She only needs maximum
power on the totally unlit section of her ride along the San Tomas
Aquino trail.

---

Old November 28th 16, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 12:52:07 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:
[...]

need James or Lieb explain if the proprietary battery is X more effective in a designed for system or if this idea avoids the obvious that the prop like most props yields more $$$

I'm halfway thru a swing down fog lamp bar with 2 Hella 550 either side one Amazon 7000 lumen LED. Solved the bad E250 high beam lighting with 2 bumper turning lamps from Hella n one center mounted spot in the bottom nacelle.

The swing down should brighten the low beams.

a final touch maybe this winter are electric motors controlling the Hella headlamps cradled. Maybe a 'return to zero' button down from 1/2 mile.

We gotta industry thumbs up on the project.

stopping the truck n walking out with a flashlight finding the next now turn is not my experience alone.
Old November 28th 16, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 17:52:27 -0800 (PST), DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
wrote:

need James or Lieb explain if the proprietary battery
is X more effective in a designed for system or if
this idea avoids the obvious that the prop like most
props yields more $$$

A non-removable battery solves a few problem and is most certainly
cheaper than a removable battery.

By making it non-removable, the following parts disappear:
1. Battery holder with springs. You can use welded tab batteries.
2. Tolerance space for odd side and swollen batteries.
3. Separation between battery compartment and PCB (printed circuit
board).
4. Battery cover and chronically broken hinge and latch.
5. Inventory of batteries as an "accessory".
6. Claims that the light doesn't meet runtime specs because someone
crammed in a low quality battery.
7. Protection circuitry for a battery inserted backwards.
8. Battery ID chip inside battery case (for counterfeit detection).
9. Battery short circuit protection and BMS (battery managment
system).

A non-removable battery also:
1. Allows for an internal charge controller.
2. Allows for a smaller case.
3. Allows the use of "flat" prismatic cells (similar to a smartphone)
instead of cylinderical 18650 type cells.
4. Allows the use of a coulomb counter to act as a fuel gauge.
5. Whatever else I forgot.

My guess(tm) is that bicycle light manufacturers will follow the lead
of cell phone makers and tie their warranty to the life of the
battery. If the calculated life of the battery is perhaps 5 years,
the manufacturer can safely offer a 3 year warranty and be fairly
certain that the battery will be mostly functional at the end of the
warranty period. This eliminates the need to replace the battery
during the warranty. After the warranty expires, the manufacturer or
vendor could care less. It's now eWaste. That's the down side of a
non-removable battery. The light could continue to be used long past
the end of the warranty period, but only if the owner is willing to
tear it apart and replace the battery. But, if you're NOT willing to
replace the non-removable battery, you're buying what might be a
limited life, throw-away product.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 28th 16, 05:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

A non-removable battery can not be switiched out on a very long ride in the dark. A non-removable light can lose a fair bit of charge when it's very cold outside. An external b attery pack can be tuck up under one's jacket to warm the battery and keep it runninh longer. It's what I do in winter on lond rides in the dark.

Like everything, there are advantages and disadvantages that need to be considered for each person's needs or wants.

Cheers
Old November 28th 16, 11:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

NRB ( not rep bat) then profits by 2.5x@ inducing replacement light unit costs over 'normal' unit use able time while increasing use age effectiveness parameters.

More silk road