Best MTB Lighting System?

Old December 19th 16, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Best MTB Lighting System?

On 12/18/2016 5:24 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 12:17:38 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I just can't put my hands on it but I had a large battery
headlight/taillight combo, but they had incandescent lights.
When I added an LED it really knocked me out how much more
the road was lit. And they supposedly had the same candlepower.

Watch your terms here. Candlepower is (or was) a measure of luminous
intensity, also known as brightness, at a given point. There is no
consideration for the area illuminated, as is the case with lumens.
Given good optics, I could concentrate the output from a single LED,
and produce candlepower higher than that produced by the noon sun.

If both lights claimed the same number of lumens, then I would be
worried.

Oh crap. Lunch is on fire...

Why? Did you set it down in that headlight's beam?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 19th 16, 08:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 22:18:14 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Oh crap. Lunch is on fire...

Why? Did you set it down in that headlight's beam?

It's kinda cold here in paradise. So, I'm running the wood burner to
stay warm:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/home/slides/wood-burner.html
Midnight now. Outside is 35F (1.7C). Inside is 67F (19C). Nice.

Rather than waste electrons heating my lunch, I put a sauce pan on top
of the wood burner and prepared some mushrooms and onions sauteed in
olive oil. I was alerted that lunch was done when the smoke alarm
rescued me from a hypnotic trance while playing with the computah.
Despite the carbonized taste, the remains of lunch were actually quite
good.

Dinner was a can of soup, cooked in the same manner on the wood
burner. This time, no smoke.

I've never tried cooking using a mega-lumen headlight, but have done
fairly well with an oxyacetylene torch and a cast iron pan.

I'll be out of service for a while. I have 9 new computahs and SSD
upgrades to prepare and deliver before the end of the year, two
funerals to attend this week, several office parties, and a mix of
Hannukah and Christmas events. We'll soon see if it's possible to
survive solely on party leftovers and hors d'oeuvres. If I live
through this ordeal, it will be with the help of divine assistance or
pure luck, depending on your religious convictions.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old December 19th 16, 01:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Very good....

Tho I was lured by LED .... I had a cool light ac outlet in ? 59 ? from the Bell Lab ambience .. the incroyable range of LED $$$$ prices walled the choice into Hella.

The range as it does, shrank now abt 3-4x halogen costs. I haven't held a Hella LED. Two LED from Amazon are boat anchors meant for Jeeps. Hella halogens are feather weights.

Hella from this distance is similar to Cateye. I read the ongoing light discussion wondering why not buy a Cateye n go on....I gurss there's an appeal in going for the front edge driven by the areas motion..which is max cool, no ? given that when posted no one could see.

Averted specs are useful determining the ball park for amps to light ...powerstream a vital source....ace !

But the specs and a 200amp alternator based inside the OEM sized castings do not maintain charge into an Odessey battery ( the sPell checker in cysts on Odessa ...I have a file ).

More than adequate clearance but at constant ( the checker wants 'constable' ...A1 with humour ) continuos drain at interstate speeds.

CH66, modern jazz from orbit has the ? I forget the exact remainder so guess 80 amps left for the kenwood amp 'rated' 400 watts RMS. Is not enough running only the Hella headlights ! Forget adding any aux lights...there are 8 but in 3 parts...fog/driving/desert.

The aux lighting is a significant positive driving experience as seeing in night rain would be on the bike. In Fla, night rain is pleasurable ceptin' no see.

Aux light eliminates a huge energy drain trying to evaluate the road leaving me to actually drive the road.

We did a drive up from Tuba City to Grand Canyon Village at twilight. The front spor on bumper with 2 small fog cornering lamps is on the Enterprise not the Monitor.

Tried Pioneer's touch screen car audio receiver with equalizer ? Same upgrade

Go easy on the Holliday intensity.

Old December 19th 16, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

AE6KS

No results found for caws I mixed equipment n results. the test was with OEM alternator n stock headlamps n specs from LED/200 amp alt. the OEM test failed with an adequate figured remaing draw for the 400w rms amp...needing a load analysis.

Prob go for a running test lead .... with fuses.

good links ! happy holydays/hoaulidays/halldays take it easy on the intensity.

here's Goo on research goo.gl/nmEq5s

I have a Rump chorus who will nay my research as bogus BS ( via NASA paranormal no less) then go on to complain that more rain ruins the grape crop.

Old December 19th 16, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Monday, December 19, 2016 at 9:16:27 AM UTC-5, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
AE6KS

No results found for caws I mixed equipment n results. the test was with OEM alternator n stock headlamps n specs from LED/200 amp alt. the OEM test failed with an adequate figured remaing draw for the 400w rms amp...needing a load analysis.

Prob go for a running test lead .... with fuses.

///////////////

good links ! happy holydays/hoaulidays/halldays take it easy on the intensity.

here's Goo on research goo.gl/nmEq5s

I have a Rump chorus who will nay my research as bogus BS ( via NASA paranormal no less) then go on to complain that more rain ruins the grape crop.

he goo.gl/CGmChM
Old December 19th 16, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

For lunch cooked on a skewer (copper coat gas welding rod) I
recommend oxy-propane. Cleaner flavor than acetylene.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/