Seat post weight difference

Old December 18th 16, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Seat post weight difference

On 2016-12-18 08:58, wrote:
On Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 4:54:30 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
Looking for a MTB seat post that I could mod a bit I found
large differences in weight. This one is listed at 0.25lbs
shipping weight which is something around 100 grams:

https://www.amazon.com/EVO-Barrel-Se...TS0?th=1&psc=1

Doesn't sound right. This one is 2" or 5cm longer but lists at about 400
grams or four times the weight:

https://www.amazon.com/MCTi-Alumium-.../dp/B015GQK6AQ

Can someone shed light on that huge difference? Could there be such a
major difference in tube thickness? The material is 6061 alloy
in both cases.

I do not care about weight, sturdiness is all that matters to
me. At around 430mm I'd get max amount of post in the seat tube
so the 2nd one would need to be sawed off a bit. This is for
MTB use on rough trails and because of a seat post mounted rack
the stress on the post is quite hardcore.

Of course, if someone can point out a good inexpensive brand
that offers 450mm or at least 400mm in 31.6mm diameter that
would also be nice.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

The difference in seat posts is pretty amazing. The post itself
makes a lot of different but the seat attachment mechanism varies
widely. Three "light" posts I have vary between 200 and 300
grams. And all of these are heavier than the light post I have on
the Eddy.

Light stuff tends to break on my bikes. I want all the wall
thickness I can get. Normally I'd rather order a custom one from
Andrew's store but I want to try to mod a stock post in a way that
some day I could have a stash of four 18650 Li-Ion cells plus the
charge controller/balancer electronics in there, for lighting, MP3
and whatnot. Not sure yet how to fasten all that in MTB-proof
fashion but I'll hopefully figure that out. My MTB buddy is a
machinist and could make parts for inside if needed.

One little challenge will be to pipe out the wiring but I figure
that drilling on the sides won't harm the strength because most of
the stress should will be at the front and rear, with almost none
on the side centerlines.

I am leaning towards the Kalloy since there weren't any reports
that it bent on people. Got a question in about the true weight but
if nobody answers I'll take a chance.

https://www.amazon.com/Kalloy-31-6-4...ews/B00642QTS0

[Posting again, some newsreaders will not display without snipped sigline]

Drilling holes in an MTB seatpost is almost guarranteed to result in
failure of the seatpost sometime down the trail. Contrary to popular
belief when riding on trails weight IS placed sideways on the post as
well as fore and aft when you hit rough patches of trail.

There will be, but not nearly the forces forward or back. Back will be
highest because that's where yours truly lands when the rear tire hits
terra forma after having become airborne.

Rather than putting batteries inside a seatpost why not pu8t them
inside a tube that can then be securely fastened to the top tube of
the bike?

Not easy to do on an MTB with a freeform top tube and suspension mounts
underneath:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Muddy3.JPG

Currently the battery and some other electric stuff rides in the gray
box under the rack. However, that adds a lot of force to the seat post
which I'd like to avoid. I'll also reduce from 8-cell to 4-cell and add
the freed up cells to the road bike because I found that I don't need so
much juice on the MTB (but ran out on the road bike a couple of times).
I have made a steel box that is smaller and will be mounted on top of
the rack boom, between seat post and fasting handle. Then it's closer to
the tube, less cantilever and also less prone to rock hits. Still,
inside the seat post would be ideal.

Old December 18th 16, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 11:29:49 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

On 2016-12-18 08:58, wrote:
[...]

6061 1 inch, schedule 40 pipe with a wall thickness of 0.133" weighs
263 gm/foot. 1 inch schedule 80 pipe with a wall thickness of 0.179"
weighs 408.7 gm/foot.

Disregarding misprints in the catalog it should be obvious why one
seat post weighs more (or less) than the other.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 19th 16, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

On 2016-12-18 08:58, wrote:
[...]

If they give the schedule or thickness but they don't. So I asked and
received a response this morning. One rider who bought it said it is too
thin and he went back to his old composite post. Mainly because he tow a
kids trailer. I have a fairly heavy rack with panniers mounted to it
which could be worse than a trailer.

Back to square one in the search I guess :-(

Old December 19th 16, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On 2016-12-18 08:58, wrote:
[...]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Camp...AOSwImRYQrq s

I have one of these and it is pretty heavy - over 300 grams.
Old December 19th 16, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Old December 19th 16, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2016-12-18 08:58, wrote:
[...]

Rather than drilling a hole in a seatpost that's going to carry a LOT of weight on VERY ROUGH trails I'd look at making a battery holder that'd slip into the handlebar.

Drilling a hole in a seatpost so that you can have wires exiting from it is just asking for a broken seatpost due to the very uneven and sideways forces put on it during off road riding.

Cheers
Old December 19th 16, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 1:47:23 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 19/12/16 03:58, wrote:
[...]

I had a light-ish post that separated where the clamp section had been
_glued_ into the post.

and probably much stronger. The clamp adjustability is better too.

--
JS

The kalloys sure clamp better than the ritchies, tho
Old December 19th 16, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-12-18 08:58,
wrote:
[...]

I need 31.6mm diameter and at least 400mm long. Just ordered an Oval
Concepts M750 post in those dimensions at Bikewagon in Utah. Sometimes
they part out overstock bikes and sell the parts which is where this
post is from. Then the prices are good.

http://www.bikewagon.com/oval-m750-3...bolt-wet-black

The tube looks a bit thin but I have good experience with Oval's stuff.
What I like is the sturdy top that looks as if welded on and then
smoothed out.

While at it I added a chain for the road bike and some Clark pads,
mainly to see if they are comparable to the KoolStop at a fraction of
the cost.

http://www.bikewagon.com/clarks-55mm...gle-adjustment

Old December 19th 16, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

[...]

The difference in seat posts is pretty amazing. The post itself
makes a lot of different but the seat attachment mechanism
varies widely. Three "light" posts I have vary between 200 and
300 grams. And all of these are heavier than the light post I
have on the Eddy.

Light stuff tends to break on my bikes. I want all the wall
thickness I can get. Normally I'd rather order a custom one from
Andrew's store but I want to try to mod a stock post in a way
that some day I could have a stash of four 18650 Li-Ion cells
plus the charge controller/balancer electronics in there, for
lighting, MP3

Gotta have the MP3

Oh yeah :-)

On boring sections of trail and on long uphill slogs it really works. I
also found that the old cowboy trick of singing to cattle does work.
When they become antsy it can prevent a little stampede. I can't sing,
so ...

Rather than drilling a hole in a seatpost that's going to carry a LOT
of weight on VERY ROUGH trails I'd look at making a battery holder
that'd slip into the handlebar.

Doesn't work in my case because it is swooped. The other option I am
looking at is the inside of the tapered steerer. It's a huge cavity.

Drilling a hole in a seatpost so that you can have wires exiting from
it is just asking for a broken seatpost due to the very uneven and
sideways forces put on it during off road riding.

Sideways forces are quite low. The frame of my MTB is built for hard
cornering but I rarely do that. If I do I have one foot out on the dirt
like the motocross guys. Ruins shoes fast though.

To my surprise the Oval Concepts M750 post I just ordered already has
side slots in it (in the section that remains inside the seat tube).
These guys squeeze out every grams of weight they can. They say it's 265
grams for the 400mm post.

Obviously they couldn't slot it higher because water can intrude but if
I mount tight rubber grommets for the cables plus maybe some hot melt
glue it should be fine.

Old December 19th 16, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:
[...]

What works even better is to lift yourself up with your eyeballs. You imagine that your line of sight is made of steel; then look at something on the trail above you, then rotate your eyeballs downward, and your line of sight being rigid, you get lifted up.

But you have to turn the music off.