Is black clothing compulsory?

Old January 24th 19, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Is black clothing compulsory?

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 10:48:20 AM UTC, GB wrote:

Really? Anyway, whatever this guy was wearing, it made him invisible.

Ah yes, The invisible cyclist was wearing dark green trousers, a dark blue jacket, dark red socks, dark brown shoes, a dark grey hat and he had Sennheiser earpieces in.
Old January 24th 19, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Evans

On 24/01/2019 09:34, GB wrote:
On 24/01/2019 00:07, TMS320 wrote:
On 23/01/2019 20:25, GB wrote:

I just wondered whether it is now compulsory for cyclists to wear
black clothing? I ask because I nearly wrote a cyclist off early
yesterday morning. He was cycling slowly up a hill in the middle of
the road. Dark clothes and dark bike = all I could see was the rear
light.

Your lights would have reflected off the road surface more than the
cyclist.

I thought what I was looking at was a motorcycle 50m ahead, whereas
what I was actually seeing was a cyclist just 10m ahead.

You should stop driving until you have had your eyes and car lights
checked out.

The car lights were dipped - it's urban driving round here - and my
eyesight is not defective. The road has street lights but they are not
that great. Even under the street lights, the cyclist was effectively
invisible. Just the tail light showed up.

Are you a cyclist? Most of the cyclists on this group are drivers.

I drive in London, as a driver I know to drive at a speed where I can
see and stop if something is in front of me on the road, regardless of
it being darkly coloured. The fact that you admit not being able to do
this suggests that you are driving dangerously. The extra fact that the
cyclist did have a light, which you appear to have discounted rather
than slowed down for, suggests you are a seriously dangerous driver.

The self righteous attempt to blame someone else for you selfish and
antisocial dangerous behaviour gives a particularly negative impression
of you as an unpleasant human being.
Old January 24th 19, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
GB[_5_]

On 24/01/2019 12:24, Tom Evans wrote:

I drive in London, as a driver I know to drive at a speed where I can
see and stop if something is in front of me on the road, regardless of
it being darkly coloured. The fact that you admit not being able to do
this suggests that you are driving dangerously. The extra fact that the
cyclist did have a light, which you appear to have discounted rather
than slowed down for, suggests you are a seriously dangerous driver.

I entirely agree with you. My point is precisely that there are lots of
other seriously dangerous drivers out there. There are obvious
precautions cyclists can take, and I recommend taking them.

By the way, I did "drive at a speed where I can see and stop if
something is in front of me on the road, regardless of it being darkly
coloured".

I wrote 'nearly wrote off' in the OP. Bit of hyperbole there, I'm
afraid. So, your comments are entirely justified, based on what I wrote,
but the reality wasn't that bad.

I was doing under 20MPH, but there are loads of drivers who do 40 on
that road. (The limit is 30.) It's quite a steep hill, so the cyclist
can't have been doing much more than 5MPH unless he's seriously fit.

Old January 24th 19, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 23/01/2019 20:25, GB wrote:

[...]

Black works under streetlighting.

Really? Anyway, whatever this guy was wearing, it made him invisible.

I find that black objects under streetlighting have plenty of contrast
and with characteristic movement are usually noticeable over a
reasonable distance. Though the new white led streetlamps do not work as
well as the old yellow ones.

There is a difficulty in gauging the distance of a single tail light
in the dark. Providing additional clues, by wearing brighter clothing
definitely would help.

I don't notice colour helping from a distance. Reflective strips seem to
work when there is dazzle from other traffic.

Sorry if people think I'm trolling. That's not my usual style. I had
a bit of a shock, and I thought I would share it with people who are,
after all, mostly cyclists on this NG.

The NG is mainly for whingers. Cyclists have gone elsewhere.

Well, I guess I'm whingeing, too.

I cycle, drive and walk. From the walking and driving perspective I
don't encounter much of the subject of all the whingeing.
Old January 25th 19, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 24/01/2019 09:54, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
GB wrote:
I just wondered whether it is now compulsory for cyclists to wear
black clothing? I ask because I nearly wrote a cyclist off early
yesterday morning. He was cycling slowly up a hill in the middle of
the road. Dark clothes and dark bike = all I could see was the rear
light.
I thought what I was looking at was a motorcycle 50m ahead, whereas
what I was actually seeing was a cyclist just 10m ahead.

No doubt, I'd have been held to blame for the accident, if I hadn't
stopped just in time. Nevertheless, I was quite safe in my car, and
the cyclist is the one who'd have ended up in hospital.

Bear in mind that there are lots of crap car drivers around, like me,
and give them all the help you can not to injure you. It seems a
really good idea to wear light coloured clothes with reflective
panels and have a similar colour scheme for the bike.

I looked out of the window at about 8am. Freezing fog, I could not see to
the end of the street. Roads very icy, snow still around and all proper road
users driving with lights.
Apart from one pillock, dressed in black, no lights and using the road and
the footpath and the road as it felt fit.
Yip, it was a stupid brain dead poverty cyclist.

At leas you saw him to give you a target for your sharpened chisel
dripping with blood.
Old January 28th 19, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 09:34:01 +0000
GB wrote:

The car lights were dipped - it's urban driving round here - and my
eyesight is not defective. The road has street lights but they are
not that great. Even under the street lights, the cyclist was
effectively invisible. Just the tail light showed up.

He should have had a red rear reflector too, and amber reflectors on
his pedals (or yellow reflective ankle bands - the law hasn't kept up
with pedal technology). The "should wear light clothes" bit in the HC
is just a bit too much like victim blaming for some people.

Old January 29th 19, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
GB[_5_]

GB wrote:

The car lights were dipped - it's urban driving round here - and my
eyesight is not defective. The road has street lights but they are
not that great. Even under the street lights, the cyclist was
effectively invisible. Just the tail light showed up.

He should have had a red rear reflector too, and amber reflectors on
his pedals (or yellow reflective ankle bands - the law hasn't kept up
with pedal technology). The "should wear light clothes" bit in the HC
is just a bit too much like victim blaming for some people.

There are loads of drivers who are worse than me, and in 2016 3500 **
cyclists were killed or seriously injured. I cycle occasionally, and I
take all possible precautions. Is that victim blaming or simply common
sense?

**
https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/...-factsheet.pdf

"Around 80% of cycling accidents occur in daylight - which is when most
cycling takes place. .... However, cycling accidents in the dark are
more likely to be fatal."

Old January 29th 19, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

GB wrote:

[...]

Cyclists and common sense does not compute.